The started back at the site in late Spring early summer this year by the time the transfer to CA took place. The staging slab for the site was not completed until the mid summer at the site. They could not fully excavate untill that was completed. They really didn't commence the main dig until July. With another 3 rows of tiebacks to be drilled and stressed. Have a close look - half the site is on grade. Once the main ramp soil is removed the site is essentially wide open. I am sure you will likely see a crane in a month or so.

This

Except CIBC square phase 2 had a massively complicated excavation and already has substantial structure underground and a core that is at or above grade last I checked.

This development on the other hand has neither an overly complicated excavation or any sort of anything going on below grade other than just moving dirt around.

Concord took over here over a year ago, and there was already excavation that had taken place. So to say this is moving on speed, even when taking into consideration the delays, is simply not true.

I'm simply saying, it's to early to say if this project is behind or not. Lot's of project take this long to excavate from my observations. Go look at the history of The One. See when they put shovels in the ground until they got to grade.

Then come talk to me.

Earlier on this thread, people said this tower was technically 300 metres tall. It's listed as 300.6 metres tall on SSC. But on the thread here at the top, it says 298. 99 metres. Is the Concord going to be listed officially at the present height of 298.99 metres or as 300 metres and a supertall anywhere? It's confusing to me because it seems like it's still under supertall height, officially. 🤨

Did you actually read previous posts??? lol
Yes? You still seem to indicate they're on par/schedule.

Earlier on this thread, people said this tower was technically 300 metres tall. It's listed as 300.6 metres tall on SSC. But on the thread here at the top, it says 298. 99 metres. Is the Concord going to be listed officially at the present height of 298.99 metres or as 300 metres and a supertall anywhere? It's confusing to me because it seems like it's still under supertall height, officially. 🤨
I think it maybe one of those cases where they just round it off to 300 so they can think it's a supertall. Just a metre and a bit and nobody will notice... 😼

I think it maybe one of those cases where they just round it off to 300 so they can think it's a supertall. Just a metre and a bit and nobody will notice... 😼

Well koops' drawing on SSP also has this at 300.6 metres... which strikes me as a rather odd way to round it off at 300. ;)

A mystery.

Both 299 and 300.6 are accurate measurements. The ground is not a level plane. Planning is widely considered the more official height. They aren't the best source for measuring a building's height. All they need is a point of reference to do their work. Occasionally, their choice falls below the ground floor or, in other words, underground. 300 metres is not arbitrary to our community. Why not consider this a supertall?

Ironically, the main entrance is probably right around 300 metres. To me, that's a more logical place to measure a building than either the corner of Gerrard or the lowest corner of the tower.

I'm still basing it on 298.99 m as the official measurement from the subject line, to which Mr. 42 has no plans of changing as stated a couple of pages back until there's smoking gun evidence of this change. So the cup is half empty for me.

Then though....

Well koops' drawing on SSP also has this at 300.6 metres... which strikes me as a rather odd way to round it off at 300. ;)
...cup is half full.

And interestingly enough...

Both 299 and 300.6 are accurate measurements. The ground is not a level plane. Planning is widely considered the more official height. They aren't the best source for measuring a building's height. All they need is a point of reference to do their work. Occasionally, their choice falls below the ground floor or, in other words, underground. 300 metres is not arbitrary to our community.
...the cup is both half empty and half full, the Schrödinger's version. 🙀

So there we go! <3

Last edited:

Let's compare with CIBC square 2. They started piling work in April 2021 and started excavations in May 2021.

The pit was bottomed out and the base crane ready by October, a mere 6 months later. And the core was built up and above grade by June 2022, another 8 months later.

For comparison, the first equipment arrived for Concord Sky onsite in March 2022. 9 months later, we're still not even fully bottomed out. And they started from a pit that was already a third of the way done.

I'm simply saying, it's to early to say if this project is behind or not. Lot's of project take this long to excavate from my observations. Go look at the history of The One. See when they put shovels in the ground until they got to grade.

Then come talk to me.

And if you go to The One thread, you'd see how everyone was complaining how slow it was getting up to ground. Even though that building has one of the most complex foundations in Toronto with its massive super-columns.

It is definitely not too early to pass judgment on the speed of Concord Sky. This project is indeed going slow.

Let's compare with CIBC square 2. They started piling work in April 2021 and started excavations in May 2021.

The pit was bottomed out and the base crane ready by October, a mere 6 months later. And the core was built up and above grade by June 2022, another 8 months later.

For comparison, the first equipment arrived for Concord Sky onsite in March 2022. 9 months later, we're still not even fully bottomed out. And they started from a pit that was already a third of the way done.

And if you go to The One thread, you'd see how everyone was complaining how slow it was getting up to ground. Even though that building has one of the most complex foundations in Toronto with its massive super-columns.

It is definitely not too early to pass judgment on the speed of Concord Sky. This project is indeed going slow.

Read matted's post.

Read matted's post.

Yes, I read it. And it proves how slow this site is moving. Late spring until mid summer, a solid 3 months to create the staging slab that merely covers a third of the site? That's a snail's pace.

Another 4-5 months and they're still not even bottomed out on the excavation, which was already 2 levels down when they started the work on the site.

Back