Has there ever been talk of redoing the bathroom/changing facilities at Cherry Beach? Once everything’s done and the streetcar loop is in place, the beach is going to be more accessible than ever, so it just seems inevitable that things will need to get updated. Maybe encroach on the parking lot, put in a snack bar, a better spot for lifeguards? I feel like Tommy Thompson’s new building kinda snuck up on us, so maybe Cherry already has something in store?

Has there ever been talk of redoing the bathroom/changing facilities at Cherry Beach? Once everything’s done and the streetcar loop is in place, the beach is going to be more accessible than ever, so it just seems inevitable that things will need to get updated. Maybe encroach on the parking lot, put in a snack bar, a better spot for lifeguards? I feel like Tommy Thompson’s new building kinda snuck up on us, so maybe Cherry already has something in store?

Nothing listed in the capital budget that is specific to Cherry Beach.

There is a line for the Washroom Enhancement Program, which I expect is winterization money, but it doesn't come with a list of which washrooms will get that money.

From today. Looking south from Villiers St.

PXL_20221112_204842715.jpg

PXL_20221112_205012387.jpg

New Cherry St. alignment taking shape.
PXL_20221112_211125970.jpg

PXL_20221112_211250768.PANO.jpg

That's the ice management area I believe - it had to be armoured.

AoD

You are correct.

1668295651147.png

The river will flow under the more easterly bridge, while the ice management area (doubling as a wetland) will be on the approach the more westerly bridge.

Another look:

1668295779369.png

And I guess a bit of the river will flow out into Keating Channel too? I wonder if Lake Ontario flows UP the Don River in some conditions? Seems like a very lazy exit into the lake for this river.

And I guess a bit of the river will flow out into Keating Channel too? I wonder if Lake Ontario flows UP the Don River in some conditions? Seems like a very lazy exit into the lake for this river.

Not under normal conditions, so far as I recall.

There will be a side-flow weir between the river and Keating.

It will open in flood conditions.

Keating will otherwise be Lake water.

1668297836533.png

1668297921815.png

I'm assuming that they are expecting the silt from the Don River will eventually settle on top of the "paving rocks".

Sediment and debris are largely to be managed north of Lake Shore blvd

Few more from today comming north from Cherry Beach.

View attachment 438923

Bet these railings would look nice in Canary yellow.
View attachment 438922

View attachment 438921
The top two photos are, of course, the bascule bridge that Ports Toronto & the City are (finally) fixing. This is not really part of the Don Lands Project but certainly fits here.

As shown in the photos, they are in the final phase of finishing the west side (only some more railings needed, I think). Though they worked for most of last winter, I suspect that they may now pause for a few months and then start the east side in early 2023. When that's done they will scrape, repair and paint the metal. See http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM35.36 From this motion and the budget years it notes, it may not all be done until 2030!

Nov 13
Finally able to get down to see the new Cherry St as well drive on it and will look great when it is fully open. A lot of cycles using the wide sidewalk in place of their lanes.

No reason why the traffic light are working when there is nothing coming the other way in the first place.

Wood railing being added to the railing system.

Get a good shot of the area if the lighting is great, especially with sunlight as well the skyline of Toronto. looks like something stills need to be added to the bridge as there a small plate at the base between the frames.

The east pier for the westbound Lake Shore new bridge is ready for the new bridge, but the west one has yet to be built. The centre one is cover up and look ready.

The old rail line and yard on Lake Shore has been dug up to about 4 feet deep

No idea what those 3 concrete pads are other than reinforcement at the bend.

Unedited
133A4679.JPG
133A4686.JPG
133A4682.JPG
133A4654.JPG
133A4615.JPG
133A4650.JPG
133A4666.JPG

Last edited:

Back