In saying that, I'm relying on the 2018 Business Case - which predates the Bloor station proposal - It implies everything will stop everywhere... until Rutherford anyways.

Is there a more recent source that adds express trains?

- Paul

View attachment 439881View attachment 439882
And why would you want to skip stops that provide transfer options to subway lines?

Hopefully but not necessarily... Go's first flyover(all the others are fly-unders) further up the line which goes over the York sub has a speed restriction of 45mph/72kph. I'm guessing that's due to the grade though, it appears the Davenport flyover approach is more gradual.

The restriction at Snider is due to the vertical curvature of the alignment, specifically over the top of it.

The flyover at Davenport is designed for a maximum speed of at least 70mph.

Dan

In saying that, I'm relying on the 2018 Business Case - which predates the Bloor station proposal - It implies everything will stop everywhere... until Rutherford anyways.

We don't know the details of the current plan, but what we do know is that the plan is constantly evolving. For example, that 2018 concept includes EMUs (the current plan does not), and does not include Bloor-Lansdowne station (the current plan does). The November 2019 Kitchener Line addendum also happened to show a completely different stopping pattern east of Bramalea, even though that addendum was focused on service west of Brampton.

And so forth.

And why would you want to skip stops that provide transfer options to subway lines?

When the transfer option isn't convenient enough to be a major draw. Bloor-Lansdowne GO station will be located south of Bloor, two blocks west of Lansdowne. Which is not where the subway station is. Transfering from GO to TTC would involve a 350-metre walk including at least two roadway crossings, at least one of which is signalized. So you're looking at 4-5 minutes walking between the stations, in addition to up to 4 minutes walking down the GO platform and a couple minutes getting in/out of the subway station.
Capture.JPG

The odds of such a long transfer actually being part of a traveller's best option from A to B are relatively low, especially given the convienent transfers available to the same GO line at Union, Caledonia and Downsview Park. It seems like a somewhat useful station, but it doesn't seem so important that we need to stop every single train there on its 100 km journey to Barrie.

For reference, the transfer will be longer than the walk from Dundas West TTC to Bloor GO - a walk which seems to be long enough to dissuade most transfer activity.
Capture1.JPG

I expect that we will see a big increase in transfers between Bloor GO and Dundas West TTC once the tunnel opens to connect the railway station to the east end of the subway platforms.

Last edited:
The restriction at Snider is due to the vertical curvature of the alignment, specifically over the top of it.

The flyover at Davenport is designed for a maximum speed of at least 70mph.

Dan

Under diesel locomotive or electric power?

When the transfer option isn't convenient enough to be a major draw. Bloor-Lansdowne GO station will be located south of Bloor, two blocks west of Lansdowne. Which is not where the subway station is. Transfering from GO to TTC would involve a 350-metre walk including at least two roadway crossings, at least one of which is signalized. So you're looking at 4-5 minutes walking between the stations, in addition to up to 4 minutes walking down the GO platform and a couple minutes getting in/out of the subway station.
View attachment 439917

The odds of such a long transfer actually being part of a traveller's best option from A to B are relatively low, especially given the convienent transfers available to the same GO line at Union, Caledonia and Downsview Park. It seems like a somewhat useful station, but it doesn't seem so important that we need to stop every single train there on its 100 km journey to Barrie.

For reference, the transfer will be longer than the walk from Dundas West TTC to Bloor GO - a walk which seems to be long enough to dissuade most transfer activity.
View attachment 439916
I expect that we will see a big increase in transfers between Bloor GO and Dundas West TTC once the tunnel opens to connect the railway station to the east end of the subway platforms.
The walk from the planned Lansdowne GO is actually much shorter and easier if you consider the plan for a multi-use trail on the East side of the tracks, and the possibility to walk on this trail to Wade Avenue and then reach the subway entrance from there, eliminating the need to cross Bloor at Lansdowne.
Transferring at Union instead is not a solution for people who want to go somewhere along the Bloor line, especially in the West End.

More generally, I would argue that the main reason why there are not many transfers at Bloor & Dundas today is not the inconvenience of the walk -- which is awful, the Bloor/Dundas intersection and the approach to Dundas West subway station are both absolutely atrocious for pedestrians -- but rather the lack of fare integration between GO and the TTC.

Wouldn't the first one have been this? Although maybe it was built by TTR? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

View attachment 439818
Yup but it's a fly under. Speeds through them are all fast. Well, except for the one on the Uxbridge but that entire line is rather speed restricted, but the speed through it is the exact same as the maximum on that line all the others are less than the max with the fly over on the Newmarket being the lowest.

Coming downhill to a dead stop in exactly the right spot at the platform at Bloor on the southbound run will be a skill-tester for the crews even at that speed.

- Paul
True but there's already a steep stop out there - Unionville, Maple and Guildwood aren't great either. But then again maybe the grade for the one at Bloor will be the worse.

- Paul

View attachment 439881View attachment 439882
I know this is the most comprehensive service plan we have, but it’s severely out of date. With DB calling the shots now, we have no clue what service will be (except it’s better than initially proposed).

The walk from the planned Lansdowne GO is actually much shorter and easier if you consider the plan for a multi-use trail on the East side of the tracks, and the possibility to walk on this trail to Wade Avenue and then reach the subway entrance from there, eliminating the need to cross Bloor at Lansdowne.
Transferring at Union instead is not a solution for people who want to go somewhere along the Bloor line, especially in the West End
The path would make for a safer and more pleasant walk, but it doesn't make much difference to the distance or time.

Capture.JPG

More generally, I would argue that the main reason why there are not many transfers at Bloor & Dundas today is not the inconvenience of the walk -- which is awful, the Bloor/Dundas intersection and the approach to Dundas West subway station are both absolutely atrocious for pedestrians -- but rather the lack of fare integration between GO and the TTC.
Yes, the lack of fare integration is definitely the main reason for the low transfers between TTC and GO in general. But when it comes to determining where someone will transfer from the TTC to the GO train that doesn't really come into the equation, since the assumption is that one way or another they will be paying both the GO and TTC fares.

The main fare-related item influencing the station where they make that transfer is the fact that GO fares increase with distance while TTC fares don't. So if someone is trying to save money they would go as far as practical on the TTC before transfering to GO. In the case of the Barrie line, this would encourage them to transfer at Downsview Park rather than Caledonia or Bloor-Lansdowne.

I know this is the most comprehensive service plan we have, but it’s severely out of date. With DB calling the shots now, we have no clue what service will be (except it’s better than initially proposed).

I agree…. but the discussions here on UT sometimes reach consensus on things that ML never said they had in their plans, and these come to be “facts” in the discussion when they are really only our brainchildren. So I do run back to the source documents as a reality check. It’s pedantic, but it keeps things real.

If ML would read this list and just do what we come up with……. ;-)

- Paul

The path would make for a safer and more pleasant walk, but it doesn't make much difference to the distance or time.

View attachment 439951

Yes, the lack of fare integration is definitely the main reason for the low transfers between TTC and GO in general. But when it comes to determining where someone will transfer from the TTC to the GO train that doesn't really come into the equation, since the assumption is that one way or another they will be paying both the GO and TTC fares.

The main fare-related item influencing the station where they make that transfer is the fact that GO fares increase with distance while TTC fares don't. So if someone is trying to save money they would go as far as practical on the TTC before transfering to GO. In the case of the Barrie line, this would encourage them to transfer at Downsview Park rather than Caledonia or Bloor-Lansdowne.
Just something to consider: everything there is a 'soft site'...If Metrolinx would confirm where they plan for their path to run, someone planning development around here could adjust plans to better accommodate it with retail etc. What's there now isn't what's going to be there (or at least proposed to be there, depending on timing of proposals) when the station is ready to operate.

1669140169738.png

I agree…. but the discussions here on UT sometimes reach consensus on things that ML never said they had in their plans, and these come to be “facts” in the discussion when they are really only our brainchildren. So I do run back to the source documents as a reality check. It’s pedantic, but it keeps things real.

If ML would read this list and just do what we come up with……. ;-)
I know this isn't referring to my comment specifically, but for the record, in the post which initiated this discussion I never claimed to know what the stopping pattern would be. I merely noted that there would be a mix of all-stops and express services. That is something which Metrolinx did specifically say in their description of the ONXpress proposal.

Back