News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As bad as Horton's is i will say A&W has made the worst cup of coffee I've ever had. I tried the dollar coffee at three different A&W's this week, and all three cups were absolutely disgusting. Which surprised me, since they do have the best fast food breakfasts out there.

Wendy's coffee is pretty awful as well. Tim's won't have to worry about losing caffeine addicts to A&W or Wendy's sadly.

You can get $1 coffee at Ikea and it ain't awful. Same with A&W - but that was pre-pandemic.

AoD

We could get into quite the broad digression about coffee, well apart from Tim's........

But if we're going there, my 2 cents:

1) I tend to have 1 coffee per day, at home, with breakfast, made in a French Press, steeped 4 minutes, with (roughly) 1 cream and 1 tsp of sugar.

I like my coffee to taste like coffee, not a dairy beverage, not a dessert, but I also want it to be medium roast, not acrid, and not overly fruity either.

2) The above is very hard to get in most places.........I find mass chains tend to make flavourless water which they pass off as coffee.......

Unless they're Starbucks, in which case they pass off burnt coffee that tastes like the product of an industrial accident.

3) I do accept slightly sweet coffee in the form of a Cappuccino when the mood suits me..........either after a brunch or at the end of good Italian dinner out.

Most places don't do that properly either. The last place I tried one put me off the drink for 2 months. A drink that is supposed to be a shot of espresso w/steamed milk and 1/2 froth.......
was just 3/4 milk. Bleh!

If I wanted a latte, I'd have terrible taste!

Just sayin.

Last edited:
You can get $1 coffee at Ikea and it ain't awful. Same with A&W - but that was pre-pandemic.

AoD

IKEA is a good idea, if I'm near one. I will try it. My go to fast food coffee place is McDonald's, but lately the wait times are getting ridiculous. A lot of these fast-food restaurants are overwhelmed with third party food delivery apps. (UberEats, Skip, Doordash..etc.) They just don't have the staff to deal with walk-in/drive -through and all these delivery apps at the same time.

I would like McDonald's to set up a kiosk or automated system where the customer or machine pours the cup of coffee and customer pays at the machine. It would save so much time and hassle.

IKEA is a good idea, if I'm near one. I will try it. My go to fast food coffee place is McDonald's, but lately the wait times are getting ridiculous. A lot of these fast-food restaurants are overwhelmed with third party food delivery apps. (UberEats, Skip, Doordash..etc.) They just don't have the staff to deal with walk-in/drive -through and all these delivery apps at the same time.

I would like McDonald's to set up a kiosk or automated system where the customer or machine pours the cup of coffee and customer pays at the machine. It would save so much time and hassle.

And the Ikea cinnamon bun is perfect - not drenched with icing and not too messy. You can get it with a regular coffee for $2.

AoD

Well, looks like RBI thinks there's some hope in the UK.
Perhaps the Tim Hortons Canada team needs to bring the Tim Hortons UK team to make the coffee taste better? I picked up a coffee the last time I was in Manchester and it tasted great.

Mother of god.... get your home market right before making another ridiculous venture into the UK.

Paywall free version https://archive.ph/fgkTO

Last edited:
Goes to show you that fast food places were always capable of eliminating much of their plastic waste. They just need a legislative shove.

Goodbye plastic, hello wood: Tim Hortons unveils new eco-friendly packaging and cutlery​

Now, we just need Tim’s to enact a deposit/return on their cups and lids so that they don’t continue as the #1 branded litter we see.

Tim's aside the move from single use plastics to alternatives has to be done properly. Using straws an example, moving to biodegradable straws was botched. Anyone who used one can tell you how easily they break down and get soggy in liquid.

Furthermore, I doubt many people are going to bring reusable cutlery or dishes to stores with them when they get takeout.

Imagine cutting a steak with a wooden knife?

Tim's aside the move from single use plastics to alternatives has to be done properly. Using straws an example, moving to biodegradable straws was botched. Anyone who used one can tell you how easily they break down and get soggy in liquid.

Furthermore, I doubt many people are going to bring reusable cutlery or dishes to stores with them when they get takeout.

Imagine cutting a steak with a wooden knife?
What kind of restaurant serves steak with disposable cutlery? Reusable cutlery and serveware is and has been a thing for centuries.

For those one of peoples who pick up a steak at a fast food restaurant and eat it in a park. Doesn't anybody carry a pocket knife anymore?

I don't really remember the initial stages of biodegradable straws but the ones I see now are pretty decent. When we do fast fast food at home, we can seldom finish a fountain drink and the straws seem to be good for a couple of days.

For those one of peoples who pick up a steak at a fast food restaurant and eat it in a park. Doesn't anybody carry a pocket knife anymore?

I don't really remember the initial stages of biodegradable straws but the ones I see now are pretty decent. When we do fast fast food at home, we can seldom finish a fountain drink and the straws seem to be good for a couple of days.

Starbucks is notoriously bad for soggy straws.

Carrying a pocket knife is a great way to scare people. It is useful no doubt but some people are paranoid.

When it's in your pocket?

I'm actually a little scared about what's in my wife's purse, but I have to go in there to know - so I don't.

Depending on the type of pocket knife it can be considered a concealed weapon (the blade has to be of a certain length I believe). A typical swiss army knife would not be an issue but a proper knife or switchblade would be.

I think we'll see more restos go back to re-usable cups/cutlery. I remember when TH's used to serve coffee in china mugs and food on plates/bowls with metal cutlery. These days, even if you say you will eat in they give you everything in disposable containers.

Back