News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is the official explanation of Schedule to Bill 23 that, if passed, would allow the Mayor and 8 Councillors to pass by-laws.

SCHEDULE 1
CITY OF TORONTO ACT, 2006

The Schedule amends the City of Toronto Act, 2006 by adding section 226.9.1. Section 226.9.1 provides that if the head of council is of the opinion that a by-law could potentially advance a prescribed provincial priority, the head of council may propose the by-law and require city council to consider and vote on the proposed by-law at a meeting. The by-law is passed if more than one third of the members of city council vote in favour of the by-law.

There are so many things proposed by this government in the last few weeks that I find abhorrent, I would hate to have to rank them.

This one, however, may be the single most nakedly anti-democratic and patently contrary to the most basic principles thereof. Sigh.

We need electoral reforms at all levels of government and we need to embed those changes in the constitution. (sadly)

The mechanism makes it seem undemocratic. It is functionally equivalent to letting the mayor enact bylaws unless it is vetoed by 2/3 of council, which is not unheard of in presidential/executive type systems.

Why bother with a council even? It's pointless window-dressing under this scheme.

AoD

Doug Ford's version of Mussolini's Acerbo Law. See link.

The Acerbo Law stated that the party gaining the largest share of the votes – provided they had gained at least 25 percent of the votes – gained two-thirds of the seats in parliament. The remaining third was shared amongst the other parties proportionall

It's never good to have no competition at all.

There are less than two weeks to go in the Ontario NDP leadership race and Marit Stiles, the sole official candidate, is so far the presumptive winner.
A few other caucus members - Sol Mamakwa, Chris Glover and Wayne Gates - said Tuesday they are considering a bid. But jumping quickly into the race is a tall order with the Dec. 5 deadline quickly approaching.

Doug Ford’s flip-flop on the Greenbelt leaves me at a loss for words​

Bill 23 , More Homes, Faster...with 20 EROs - is what can happen when you think you can do whatever the hell you want. You have to wonder who is putting this all together for the low-brows at Queens Park. There must be some pretty large consulting fees.

It's never good to have no competition at all.

Its even less good for the NDP when the uncontested person is Marit Styles.......

Her 'platform' such as it is, is platitudes so vapid as to fit her perfectly.

Its even less good for the NDP when the uncontested person is Marit Styles.......

Her 'platform' such as it is, is platitudes so vapid as to fit her perfectly.

Personally I feel like Peter Tabuns should have run. He would have made a fine leader.

Back