Personally, I'd like the General Post Office at the head of Toronto Street rebuilt:

View attachment 441004
I was trying to get a Street'view of what's there in that junction currently (it 's a little wonky, as the Google vehicle taking that seemed to be baha-ing the sidewalks). And indeed, most of those structures have been replaced with continental style office buildings. There are a couple of elder buildings still here and there, but the majesty of that view from said pic is sadly gone.

The Post Office is an excellent choice! I recall stumbling across the original water colour rendering of the facade in the Special Collections Dept. of the Reference Library. That was about 35 years ago. If I recall correctly, the stone was golden and the roof was lavender. That struck me as a very bold choice. Perhaps some enterprising UTer could track it down and photograph it!

The Post Office is an excellent choice! I recall stumbling across the original water colour rendering of the facade in the Special Collections Dept. of the Reference Library. That was about 35 years ago. If I recall correctly, the stone was golden and the roof was lavender. That struck me as a very bold choice. Perhaps some enterprising UTer could track it down and photograph it!
Or someone could ask the Library to add a copy of it to their digitised photo collection. They already have THIS

1669396216582.png

Just up the street from the General Post Office, I'd like the Confederation Life Building restored to its original condition, especially the roofline. This is Toronto's version of the Postwar, truncated Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) sans the war.

@thecharioteer, do you want to take it on? There's a lot more to work with here vs. the General Post Office (or the Toronto Board of Trade Building). What an incredible legacy to the city that would be!

1669489322347.png

Source

1669489550571.png

Source

1669489390001.png

Source

1669489668994.png

Source

1669489131283.png

Source

The building with its ruined roofline in the 1970s although I think the destruction happened in the 1940s or 50s
1669513144536.png

Source

As it exists today
1669489489330.png

Last edited:
Just up the street from the General Post Office, I'd like the Confederation Life Building restored to its original condition, especially the roofline. This is Toronto's version of the Postwar, truncated Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) sans the war.

@thecharioteer, do you want to take it on? There's a lot more to work with here vs. the General Post Office (or the Toronto Board of Trade Building). What an incredible legacy to the city that would be!

View attachment 441242
Source

View attachment 441245
Source

View attachment 441243
Source

View attachment 441246
Source

View attachment 441241
Source

As it exists today
View attachment 441244

Yes - and it is a relatively "easy" win.

AoD

Honestly just can't wait for this to be done, even if it doesn't turn out great. I can't bear the construction on an important corner of the city any longer!!

View attachment 441242
Source

View attachment 441245
Source

View attachment 441243
Source

View attachment 441246
Source

View attachment 441241
Source

The building with its ruined roofline in the 1970s although I think the destruction happened in the 1940s or 50s
View attachment 441390
Source

As it exists today
View attachment 441244

I agree, that would be an amazing project. We're lucky to still have something standing today considering that there was a fire on the upper levels in 1981.

I've always enjoyed that Confederation Life's next building, 1 Mount Pleasant Road (now the Rogers headquarters), referenced the design and even the colours and materials of their landmark Yonge Street office building in its design.

Honestly just can't wait for this to be done, even if it doesn't turn out great. I can't bear the construction on an important corner of the city any longer!!
Oh don't get too excited about there being no construction on the corner any time soon.. Metrolinx is about to spend the next decade ripping it up to build the Ontario Line.

I agree, that would be an amazing project. We're lucky to still have something standing today considering that there was a fire on the upper levels in 1981.

I've always enjoyed that Confederation Life's next building, 1 Mount Pleasant Road (now the Rogers headquarters), referenced the design and even the colours and materials of their landmark Yonge Street office building in its design.
PoMo gets unfairly maligned, I absolutely love the Confederation Life/Rogers building. I've always felt our skyline is missing a couple exuberant PoMo rooflines, most of our examples were more restrained (Scotia Plaza) or on a much shorter scale. Where's our Liberty Place, Transamerica Pyramid or AT&T Centre?

PoMo gets unfairly maligned, I absolutely love the Confederation Life/Rogers building. I've always felt our skyline is missing a couple exuberant PoMo rooflines, most of our examples were more restrained (Scotia Plaza) or on a much shorter scale. Where's our Liberty Place, Transamerica Pyramid or AT&T Centre?

We have Brookfield Place, but I would have preferred to have at least a couple more landmark Postmodern towers. I quite like the decadent towers that went up in American cities like Atlanta at the time that referenced the Gothic Revival, Neoclassical, and Art Deco towers of the skyscraper's first golden age in the US. I'm thinking of the likes of Bank of America Plaza and One Atlantic Centre in Atlanta and Philip Johnson's One Detroit Centre.

We have Brookfield Place, but I would have preferred to have at least a couple more landmark Postmodern towers. I quite like the decadent towers that went up in American cities like Atlanta at the time that referenced the Gothic Revival, Neoclassical, and Art Deco towers of the skyscraper's first golden age in the US. I'm thinking of the likes of Bank of America Plaza and One Atlantic Centre in Atlanta and Philip Johnson's One Detroit Centre.
All in all I'm happy with our post-modern building stock, even if it's not very prominent in the skyline. There's a lot of smaller stuff which is really nice to get to walk around, it can really add depth and at times colour. I think it's going to be bitter sweet to lose buildings like the All-suites building on Adelaide. Or, if it goes forward, something like 1 Eglinton Ave East. Though both have problems at grade, they still have a design that's at times playful but still well suited for the site.

Or the best one of all, Pittsburgh’s PPG Place.

Back