News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That's a good point. I always forget that these international flights are as much or more for tourists coming here, than they are for locals. My flight to Rome might be an exception as the plane was completed sold out, and probably 100% to Canadians, but the Hainan flights were definitely for Chinese tourists.
Flights to/from Dubai would be for people in that part of Asia to come here.

Some more numbers are out for YYC. Trans-border struggling a bit of late, but Domestic and International look solid..

1668986671803.png

Still a ways to go to get back to 2019 numbers.

1668986699565.png

1668986881124.png

Last quarter was 4.5M passengers and this next quarter looks like it could hit 4.5M also. If the trend continues, we could see it getting back to towards 2019 numbers. It'll be interesting to see if interest rates have a negative effect on travel numbers.

Last quarter was 4.5M passengers and this next quarter looks like it could hit 4.5M also. If the trend continues, we could see it getting back to towards 2019 numbers. It'll be interesting to see if interest rates have a negative effect on travel numbers.
October 2022 was only 3.6% below October 2019, the closest we’ve come so far. Given all the disruptions on the supply side and the high prices of tickets that’s impressive.

I wanted to see what the longer-term trends were (the line graph the airport produces is really hard to interpret). Here's the volumes vs. a seasonally adjusted trend I calculated based on 2016-2019 inclusive.
1670028752289.png
1670028772319.png
1670028781977.png
1670028791260.png

Domestic is back to 88% of the trend value (note that pax volumes were growing pre-COVID, so the trend includes that growth; we're only 10K below 2019 numbers domestic, but given the growth in the sector, we're almost 150K below the trend). International was actually 93% of trend, but the trend is less predictable, and October is the low month for international, so even though there was no growth, we got closer to the trend.
Transborder is 72% of trend, and that's levelling off.

News Releases: WestJet announces new service to Japan and Europe as part of planned expansion from YYC Calgary International Airport.
Wow, Barcelona? Those are some bold steps. Tokyo, I can kind of see, as we have had a route there before, and there has always been a decent market for Japanese Tourists coming to Banff. Edinburgh makes some sense also, as I have seen a fair number of Scots coming to Banff. Barcelona is like frontier territory.

Barcelona is like frontier territory
The only Barcelona-west coast service is a Spanish low-cost airline which is entire A332s wet leased from Iberia.

They must have been happy with their Rome super connecting yields. To add to the competitiveness, even without hedging, half of the fuel of a Calgary super connect is bought in Calgary, which is a considerable competitive advantage. Why do you think we have all those weird foreign government overnights these days.

News Releases: WestJet announces new service to Japan and Europe as part of planned expansion from YYC Calgary International Airport.
I'd love for Tokyo to continue into the winter. I still think there would be a lot of interest from both markets to travel to the other. Direct to Tokyo means access to a lot of Asia in two flights... exciting.

Wow, Barcelona? Those are some bold steps. Tokyo, I can kind of see, as we have had a route there before, and there has always been a decent market for Japanese Tourists coming to Banff. Edinburgh makes some sense also, as I have seen a fair number of Scots coming to Banff. Barcelona is like frontier territory.
Barcelona is a large cruiseship starting point. This just opens up many more choices without having to get a connecting flight

The only Barcelona-west coast service is a Spanish low-cost airline which is entire A332s wet leased from Iberia.

They must have been happy with their Rome super connecting yields. To add to the competitiveness, even without hedging, half of the fuel of a Calgary super connect is bought in Calgary, which is a considerable competitive advantage. Why do you think we have all those weird foreign government overnights these days.
Going to/from Calgary has some advantages. A large group of us went to Italy recently, and did YYC to Rome. For everyone going to Rome it was easiest coming through Calgary. People came from Saskatoon, Kamloops, Edmonton, and Vancouver, and meant either transferring at Calgary, or Toronto, or somewhere in Europe. To transfer in Toronto it would have added a day to the travel schedule, and would have sucked in general. For the Van folks, they had the option of transferring Europe, but like Toronto would have added a day of travel. If going to these European destinations from Western Canada, there are some advantages of going through Calgary.

This is a huge plus for Westjet. I believe the only two direct flights overseas from Calgary that Air Canada offers is to London & Frankfurt.

Going to/from Calgary has some advantages. A large group of us went to Italy recently, and did YYC to Rome. For everyone going to Rome it was easiest coming through Calgary. People came from Saskatoon, Kamloops, Edmonton, and Vancouver, and meant either transferring at Calgary, or Toronto, or somewhere in Europe. To transfer in Toronto it would have added a day to the travel schedule, and would have sucked in general. For the Van folks, they had the option of transferring Europe, but like Toronto would have added a day of travel. If going to these European destinations from Western Canada, there are some advantages of going through Calgary.
Unless Air Canada starts offering flights from Vancouver to Paris, Barcelona, or Rome Calgary would be the best option to get to those cities.

Back