Lake Ontario

Member Bio
Reaction score
A 35 storey apartment with 461 dwelling units and ground floor commercial and community uses.
Located at the southeast corner of Hurontario and Kirwin Avenue near Cooksville GO. It is currently the location of the DAM Youth Charity, it will relocate into the new building. Vehicular access will be shared with 3085 Hurontario.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Site:
Site.png

Development application available here under "3115 Hurontario Street"
Architectural Drawings
Planning Justification Report
Urban Design Brief

exactly there is a development right beside this, and connecting cooksville across the street, this area will truly become amazing in the coming years

This picture makes me laugh. Could they not get the dental office next door to sell? How will that space ever be redeveloped on its own after the fact?

The owner is probably holding out for more money. If they don’t get what they want they will complain to the city that if the development goes ahead their parcel of land can’t be developed on its own and the city will force a compromise.

The owner is probably holding out for more money. If they don’t get what they want they will complain to the city that if the development goes ahead their parcel of land can’t be developed on its own and the city will force a compromise.
Can the City do that? I agree that it would have made sense for this parcel to have been included in the development, but how does the redevelopment of a neighbouring property prevent the owner of the dental clinic from doing anything on their own property?

Can the City do that? I agree that it would have made sense for this parcel to have been included in the development, but how does the redevelopment of a neighbouring property prevent the owner of the dental clinic from doing anything on their own property?
I am not that knowledgeable about civic/municipal matters but that is what I heard happened with the small property just south of the Edge Towers development on Hurontario & Elm. It was an income tax preparation business or something like that and apparently the owner refused to sell with the original properties on the site. @drum118 probably knows the details.

I am not that knowledgeable about civic/municipal matters but that is what I heard happened with the small property just south of the Edge Towers development on Hurontario & Elm. It was an income tax preparation business or something like that and apparently the owner refused to sell with the original properties on the site. @drum118 probably knows the details.
You are correct

When the Edge Tower plan went before Planning and Development, the owner of the tax place was crying over the access to Hurontario and wanted a road built south of the Edge Towers to service the 3 towers and the one he wanted to build on a scrap pad (Tory Smart Track). There wasn't enough room to have 2 towers side by side and maintain the 25m clear view. Never saw the plan or the owner again. When the sales office went for the Edge, it was using the tax office site and indicated that the owner was leasing the land for the sales office or he sold it to Edge. Some time later, an new site application sign when up for the 3rd tower that included the 16 story tower on Hurontario for both sites to say it was one development by Edge or a joint venture for the 16 story tower only, but the right call.

As for this site, it's one of hundreds where an owner has refused to sell to the point they get box in. Only have to see this at Port Credit GO Station for Westport Condo or at Citylight on Broadway. Neither of those site will see anything replace what there now other a new home or a park, The owner may not want to sell now, but they will soon to face the fact they either sell sooner than later or be stuck with what they have now or hope the city buy it for a park.

This shows there is a case where the city must step in to do away with eyesores if the stay as a stand alone than creating something better hopeful.

Last edited:
You are correct

When the Edge Tower plan went before Planning and Development, the owner of the tax place was crying over the access to Hurontario and wanted a road built south of the Edge Towers to service the 3 towers and the one he wanted to build on a scrap pad (Tory Smart Track). There wasn't enough room to have 2 towers side by side and maintain the 25m clear view. Never saw the plan or the owner again. When the sales office went for the Edge, it was using the tax office site and indicated that the owner was leasing the land for the sales office or he sold it to Edge. Some time later, an new site application sign when up for the 3rd tower that included the 16 story tower on Hurontario for both sites to say it was one development by Edge or a joint venture for the 16 story tower only, but the right call.

As for this site, it's one of hundreds where an owner has refused to sell to the point they get box in. Only have to see this at Port Credit GO Station for Westport Condo or at Citylight on Broadway. Neither of those site will see anything replace what there now other a new home or a park, The owner may not want to sell now, but they will soon to face the fact they either sell sooner than later or be stuck with what they have now or hope the city buy it for a park.

This shows there is a case where the city must step in to do away with eyesores if the stay as a stand alone than creating something better hopeful.
No way should the City have that kind of power - if I'm a developer and I've approached you to purchase your lands, you refuse, that's great - but it should not impede development of whatever else I own.

No way should the City have that kind of power - if I'm a developer and I've approached you to purchase your lands, you refuse, that's great - but it should not impede development of whatever else I own.
One has to look at the number of single home that can't be use for anything other than a parkette now, if that. Look at Cityllight site to see this or even Westport where the owners wanted way more than the other land owners who sold to the developer. I spoked to both owners and that what they told me. The owner of the site at Citylight had a few holes added to their roof from stuff falling off the building during construction. The contractor have to pay for the repairs.

I know of no less than 20 sites where one person refuse to sell because of money. A few other sites because they wanted to finish their life there.

At the same time, that property could see the building raze and sit vacant for over a decade and only have to look at 42 Park Lawn to see it. Been over 5 years that the sites on either side of it have been developed.

The site is now another development site where it could be a mess mass look for both sites. It could have been a better plan if both sites were one site and we will have to wait to see the finally product.

In the end, the owners next to Edge Tower sold or went into a joint venture with the developer of Edge Tower to have an 16 story bult on the land as part of T3

Back