News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ignore the headline, I just put it for context. Look at this land usage: Shop in the front yard of a home.

Imagine trying to get this type of development through nowadays!

1671747920841.png

Manifesting urban format Staples...
I hope so! I hit up that Staples location semi-frequently and feel like it's one of those stores, like a Canadian Tire, that should be around in an urban format in dense neighbourhoods as they aren't really replicated by smaller format stores and are the one thing that require high rise dwellers to get in their cars and head to the 'burbs when something is needed. Curious to see what ultimately gets proposed for this block.

The enterprise rent-a-car needs a new location downtown. It's on 9th ave and not the most convenient to get to. I was talking to one of the guys who works there and he said the same. It's quite literally a box. A very small run down box. The lineups are out the door, and there's only one wash bay. On top of this, he told me that the downtown branch is the most popular branch in Calgary. Having used this location a few times, I believe him. They need more space, that's the bottom line. Perhaps a parkade would be a lot better. Lord knows there's no shortage of them.
Screenshot 2022-12-23 at 5.46.11 AM.png

I recall seeing a for sale banner on the Enterprise lot about a year ago. Unfortunately it doesn't appear in Streetview. So maybe they are already looking? I think a lot of that block is owned by Metro Ford, so maybe when they move down to the Tsut'ina development, it will be available for development. Who knows.

Watching the news on GlobalTV this morning about a 6 story apartment block being proposed on the site of the former Renfrew United Church in Renfrew. As usual, there is community opposition. The community would rather see lower density such as townhouses. Perhaps a compromise can be reached where townhouses are built at the base of the building. If there has been a thread started about this already, I do apologize.

Watching the news on GlobalTV this morning about a 6 story apartment block being proposed on the site of the former Renfrew United Church in Renfrew. As usual, there is community opposition. The community would rather see lower density such as townhouses. Perhaps a compromise can be reached where townhouses are built at the base of the building. If there has been a thread started about this already, I do apologize.
Are you talking about this: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=LOC2022-0160

A rezoning appilcation for Staples in the Downtown West End has been made. No idea if this will lead to a development or not, but it is promising:
Would be great to see something in that location. I know some people use that Staples location, but the parking lot is 90% empty most of the time.

Would be great to see something in that location. I know some people use that Staples location, but the parking lot is 90% empty most of the time.

I walk/bike to that Staples from Kensington fairly often. Agree that the parking lot is gigantic and totally hostile. Would be awesome to get something like the Royal with an urban format Staples in the podium. Same goes for the Staples location by Chinook station.

The enterprise rent-a-car needs a new location downtown. It's on 9th ave and not the most convenient to get to. I was talking to one of the guys who works there and he said the same. It's quite literally a box. A very small run down box. The lineups are out the door, and there's only one wash bay. On top of this, he told me that the downtown branch is the most popular branch in Calgary. Having used this location a few times, I believe him. They need more space, that's the bottom line. Perhaps a parkade would be a lot better. Lord knows there's no shortage of them. View attachment 447026

There is an abandoned rental car spot attached to the Palliser Parkade facing 10th Ave. They should consider moving it there... +15 access from the core, plenty of empty parking floors to store the cars and hopefully there will one day be a train station for the Airport/Banff train and possibly high speed rail to Edmonton.

Another angle showing the proposed parcels for Q Block
Development of those two parcels will pretty much complete the N/S/E/W perimeters of East Village. There are still the parcels to the north of the Hilton hotel to develop and of course, the massive wasteland of parking lots in the heart of the community. Soon there will be competing projects around the Event Centre. The vision for East Village is exciting. Unfortunately it is taking far too long to reach completion.

Last edited:

Back