News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Are there any threads on the site that deal with recent projects by Maple Properties to give some context on the kind of stuff they build? That Kensington Manor property is such a key site that it would be disappointing if we got something bland.

Saw a proposed development sign on this lot on 26 ave yesterday, CTZN architecture is the applicant

I hope those are light installations.
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 11.20.11 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 11.20.03 AM.png

Are there any threads on the site that deal with recent projects by Maple Properties to give some context on the kind of stuff they build? That Kensington Manor property is such a key site that it would be disappointing if we got something bland.
There are two that have been built here.

1215 and Redstone. Redstone was by Amble ventures, but they are tied into Maple properties. That’s why Redstone and 1215 look virtually identical..

1215 and Redstone. Redstone was by Amble ventures, but they are tied into Maple properties. That’s why Redstone and 1215 look virtually identical..
They were also going to develop the Highland Park golf course site but that became such a fiasco with the community and the city.

Both these projects in the Beltline are okay buildings, but largely forgettable. If the Kensington project develops like the Beltline examples, one thing the community should fight back against ugly rental signage. Walking by the Beltline ones regularly the signs are not only tacky, but also frustratingly blocking parts of the sidewalk.

The OCD side of me can't forgive them for not putting these sign at 45 degrees to the intersection either - the development controls likely required them to angle the sidewalk 45 degrees to the corner and everything. What's the point of requiring 45-degree cut-back from the intersection and then wall it in with a sign later? The first sign is also lit brightly at night on a residential only side-street:

1673282241771.png

1673282345368.png

It's a small complaint but really makes the development more trashy-looking than it needs to be.

It reveals a lack of attention to detail or understanding of the community context to have large, back-lit signs permanently blocking the sidewalk on side-streets of urban pedestrian communities. I am sure there's examples out there but I can't recall any other major Canadian city I have spent time in having this issue with signage.

They should also water their grass.
I remember walking by daily when they installed the grass getting increasingly nervous day-by-day they weren't going to water it - sure enough was dead in about 1 month after install and never saw any watering. Wouldn't hurt to have had few trees there too.

Signs, trees and grass - all small and relatively cheap stuff in the scheme of a big new mid-rise building - but details so often missed. Just sloppy, lazy behaviour and apparently no part of the development regulatory system seems able/willing to enforce any of this to encourage better behaviour.

I remember walking by daily when they installed the grass getting increasingly nervous day-by-day they weren't going to water it - sure enough was dead in about 1 month after install and never saw any watering. Wouldn't hurt to have had few trees there too.

Signs, trees and grass - all small and relatively cheap stuff in the scheme of a big new mid-rise building - but details so often missed. Just sloppy, lazy behaviour and apparently no part of the development regulatory system seems able/willing to enforce any of this to encourage better behaviour.
We need to start native seed bombing these areas of dead grass. So much of this throughout Mission i might just start seeding the hell out of this spring.

We need to start native seed bombing these areas of dead grass. So much of this throughout Mission i might just start seeding the hell out of this spring.
These roadside strips are apparently a near impossible thing for developers to figure out - I would guess the rules likely ask for a minimum that is just a useless grass patch, ignoring that the daily pedestrian/dog traffic on these Beltline blocks is about 1000x what a similar design in the burbs would experience. Tough conditions for sure, but not insurmountable - and in the case of the Redstone one they didn't even bother to water it anyways so the conditions weren't the issue.

The weirdest strip like this is the renovation at the Boardwalk building on 14 Ave & 4 Street. For whatever reason, they converted old crumbly sidewalk to sloped, polished pavement with drains. I would have loved a few tree or planters something - but short of that, at least a level sidewalk with drains?

Hard to imagine they haven't had a slip and fall on this thing since it was built. I find it hard to imagine how something like this was approved as it's such an obvious safety risk.

1673307582075.png

Worse is the trend for fake grass and loose-packed rocks - sure it's cheap and permeable for rain water, but a totally trashy way to do it. Lots of ugly and inaccessibility added just to save a few square metres of ground permeability in front of a tower.

Attachments

• 1673307504397.png
    1673307504397.png
    1 MB · Views: 24
That Boardwalk area is absolutely brutal for such a pedestrian heavy street.

The boulevard in front of Anthem Memorial Aspen and Bow was new sod after construction. Watered once and then went through a full hot dry summer. A year later it was all resodded just to be again watered only once and dead again near immediately. Just a joke of an effort.

It probably won't survive either - it usually doesn't make sense to mandate boulevard soft landscaping in front of high pedestrian traffic buildings like this. If not trampled the grass will be killed by dog pee. Montana and Emerald Stone down the street have replaced theirs with astroturf.
The weirdest strip like this is the renovation at the Boardwalk building on 14 Ave & 4 Street. For whatever reason, they converted old crumbly sidewalk to sloped, polished pavement with drains. I would have loved a few tree or planters something - but short of that, at least a level sidewalk with drains?
View attachment 449514
Can't speak to the concrete finish choice, but it looks like there is likely a basement or parkade under there - hence the above ground planters. Unfortunately it's tough for perennials to survive in planters like that.

Back