News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Nope. GO doesnt own the corridor, its CP's rail, and they and CN have been very vocally clear that they will not allow catenary on their rails or even IN their corridor as new separate GO only rail.
Then "expropriate" the needed rail lines. If not the province, then the feds.

I feel like the Bolton line could run as a branch of the Kitchener line past Weston. South of Weston the lines would operate together providing improved service to central Toronto. For example every third Kitchener train would do the Bolton run, with 10 min frequencies between Union and Weston. That would result in ~15 min service on the Weston to Kitchener segment and ~30 min service on the Bolton line. Failing that I'd have the frequent service terminate at Finch W or Hwy 407, as they are natural connection points to other services.

Then "expropriate" the needed rail lines. If not the province, then the feds.
You want to try and expropriate a piece of mainline railroad, and the company's only Canadian route? By the time the tribunal and courts got finished determining the fair compensation for the loss of property and business (since CP has no alternative to run trains through Canada), it would be cheaper to move Bolton.

What would give the federal government authority to expropriate for a provincial interest?

Let me bring that forward for those lacking previews and the click-averse:

1673307305146.png

Now for the my reply.......

"Huh?"

What developer? Why is a developer doing a business case for GO? That's some very peculiar wording.

"Huh?"

What developer? Why is a developer doing a business case for GO? That's some very peculiar wording.

Welcome to Doug Ford's Ontario.

I'm assuming that this is a continuation of the Lets Go Caledon pitch of a couple years back.

I would actually translate this tweet to mean,

"We as transportation planners don't see a hope in heck of a favourable business case materialising, but we don't want to upset anyone who might have friends at Queens Park... and hey, if some developer wants to give the BCA a shot, that's fine with us".

- Paul

I can't believe anyone would seriously propose a frequent passenger service on the CP's surface line through Weston, after all the tussle about the Pearson-Georgetown South trains which led to the construction of that expensive tunnel. Any new service will have to go through the tunnel. There is definitely room for a connection at the tunnel's west end, but the gradient up to the level of the CP route is not easy to confirm.
this is a random person throwing up numbers like 15 and 30mins. I am thinking something more like Richmond Hill/Milton. As long as Weston gets a stop on the service, and a greater importance of their station as a transit hub (and thus sucking in more local transit service as a consequence) do they really have much to complain about?

The mactier doesn't have enough capacity for both go transit and cp operations
There's space for 4 tracks - 5 if there's no switches. Most of that subdivision only has one track. Some has two.

There's plenty of capacity to add a dedicated track for GO.

Let me bring that forward for those lacking previews and the click-averse:

View attachment 449512

"Huh?"

My guess is the Bolton GO Train is "Plan B" in case the Highway 413 does not happen. The developers have an alternate transportation plan in the wings.

this is a random person throwing up numbers like 15 and 30mins. I am thinking something more like Richmond Hill/Milton. As long as Weston gets a stop on the service, and a greater importance of their station as a transit hub (and thus sucking in more local transit service as a consequence) do they really have much to complain about?

In the short term, no. The objection that led to the tunnel was more about the reality that a wide 6-track (4 Kitchener and two CP) surface right of way (with level crossings blocked every few minutes) would act as a wall that divided the community, and be unsafe. (Arguments about dirty diesels were only a digression that had useful political leverage). The tunnel gave some slack to mitigate the division

Putting back the second CP track (it was torn out to expedite the construction of the tunnel) and using it for limited GO service to Bolton would not recreate the wall…but if there is any prospect of increasing service, better to address the issue now and have the ability to add service easily, than have an ongoing debate about what the limit to the number of trains on the surface should be.

And, better to spend the money that would be needed for a second track, and an expanded Weston platform, on the improved junction with the tunnel. Otherwise, it’s wasted if/when that junction becomes essential.

- Paul

There's space for 4 tracks - 5 if there's no switches. Most of that subdivision only has one track. Some has two.

There's plenty of capacity to add a dedicated track for GO.
I meant to say at the current moment... now if more tracks are added yeah definitely works

My guess is the Bolton GO Train is "Plan B" in case the Highway 413 does not happen. The developers have an alternate transportation plan in the wings.

It’s an “and” not an “or”….. being able to say that a GO train is in the works (which does not have to mean shovels actually in the ground) likely adds a lot to the sale price of units in the development.

Would a developer pay for this through development charges? Probably not. The reason to watch this is the risk that Ford will be co-opted, and in turn Ml will be encouraged to fudge the BCA and expedite this route even if it’s less worthwhile than other transit investments.

- Paul

Back