News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The disconnect is that people don't know how to build consensus and win people over for change.

If you don't understand the issue with tone, you don't understand human relations, especially in the context of politics.

Activists, of any stripe, don't get this to a remarkable extent, even if their objective is noble.

On the one hand, I agree that its important to know your audience, and to be able to sell the change you seek to them, even though they may not initially agree with your take; and that requires persuasion over aggression.

On the other hand, I don't see describing Lawrence Avenue East as 7 lanes (it is) or deadly ( it is) as inherently inflammatory. The statement doesn't target drivers, or driving, nor does it target businesses or really anyone else.
it describes the problem, more or less accurately, in a way that is indeed intended to capture public attention. Remember, Hafeez went out of his way to show a design option that didn't actually reduce the number of travel lanes for cars.

This is hardly the most radical of proposals, it contemplates narrowing of lanes, partial removal of the 7th lane (a turning lane) in favour of medians, and generally seeks a crowd-pleasing solution.

Admittedly, describing Birchmount as a highway is overkill in my judgement. However, there is endemic speeding and there have been deaths caused as a result of the way Birchmount is configured, and the speed it facilitates. That speeding
might 'only' be 70km/ph, not 100+; but on a road that really doesn't function well from a safety perspective when drivers exceed 50km/ph.....

I don't think the language overall is that inflammatory. Could it be softened a tad, or have a smidge of hyperbole redacted......yeah, sure. But this doesn't strike me as overly strident car-war stuff.

Last edited:
I completely agree with the substance, I'm just explaining the context which I think is lost on activist minded people.

Very nice! Any news on the Yonge street crossing? I’ve read some interesting documents from the City of Toronto that they are still looking for a permanent location for the crossing.

I promised I would do some digging...........

Yes, this is on-the-radar.

It may happen (not a given) in 2026/2027, as it may be bundled with the Reimagine Yonge project through North York City Centre.

Its pre-mature to count on it, but there is certainly hope it will come forward.

I got this today from the City team in charge of Adelaide: "The cycle track has been reinstated in areas outside the work zone. This includes the area west of York St. The whole cycle track on Adelaide St will be moved to the north side as the last phase of our project. It's expected this will occur in the spring, once the watermain work is completed."

The watermain work continues from Bay to Victoria (the 'work zone" noted above) and, in the spring, Metrolinx/IO will be working in the York to Victoria blocks to re-install the streetcar tracks. I will be a bit surprised if they can fit in bike track while this is happening but I guess we will see.

I got this today from the City team in charge of Adelaide: "The cycle track has been reinstated in areas outside the work zone. This includes the area west of York St. The whole cycle track on Adelaide St will be moved to the north side as the last phase of our project. It's expected this will occur in the spring, once the watermain work is completed."

The watermain work continues from Bay to Victoria (the 'work zone" noted above) and, in the spring, Metrolinx/IO will be working in the York to Victoria blocks to re-install the streetcar tracks. I will be a bit surprised if they can fit in bike track while this is happening but I guess we will see.
So Spring 2024.

Post-pandemic Toronto folks. Welcoming us back with less infrastructure, higher taxes and more danger.

Are there any planned capital repairs of the trails along the west highland creek (roughly Finch southeast to Birchmount?) and north branch to Lamoureux park (I thought they were improving but not visible on INview)? I know it was part of the Scarborough bike trail network at one point but it is in terrible state of repair and hasn't got any attention for decades. I note there are some bridge work (near Warden and Bridletown circle) happening soon. I always thought the west highland would be a great North/South trail connector Thompson memorial to the Finch hydro and note there are some paths going in north of the 401 as part of the Southwest Agincourt transportation study...still disconnected and almost there to the south near midland/ellesmere.

The long and short of it........is 'No'.

That does not mean that Cycling isn't open to doing work in these spaces, but based on past approved plans, they are not a near-term priority and have not been seriously considered to date.

I would add, as this juncture, as I did in my discussions w/staff, that it has been considered in the past to naturalize these concrete channels. So far as I can discern no one has seriously looked at the 'how' in these specific cases, but in general, the norm is to first see if you can deliver a natural-looking 45 degree slope down to the water. That would almost certainly occupy more space than the current channels. If that is deemed impractical, you might just see armourstone retaining walls.

Suffice to say, before Cycling has a serious look at many of these spots, Toronto Water and the TRCA will have to have a go at deciding what they want the creek channels to be; as that will impact how much room is left over for trails and how they can be sited.

For the record Walter, this is worse than condescending, its actually wrong.

A cyclist-pedestrian collision in Toronto a few years back killed the pedestrian.

To be sure, there are many fewer deaths in pedestrian on pedestrian, cyclist on cyclist or cyclist on pedestrian collisions than there are involving cars. Which is one reason why the majority of UTer's already support walking and cycling.

But suggesting there are zero deaths or serious injuries is complete nonsense and utterly unfactual.

... it has been considered in the past to naturalize these concrete channels. So far as I can discern no one has seriously looked at the 'how' in these specific cases, but in general, the norm is to first see if you can deliver a natural-looking 45 degree slope down to the water. That would almost certainly occupy more space than the current channels. If that is deemed impractical, you might just see armourstone retaining walls.

I assume you're referring to the short bit south of the 401 to Ellesmere Rd around the industrial park?

The rest (e.g. Area between Huntingwood Dr to Bridletown Circle & separate path up to L'Amoreaux Dr) already have been naturalized (already 45 down to the water with trees/grass that have been planted some years ago). They already have paths along side that have been completely neglected since the 90s (or before). In some cases the grass completely covers the old asphalt path (north of Finch Ave path to L'Amoreaux Dr has some sections).

Interestingly, when brought up maintenance issues with overgrowth with the city, there seems to be question to the ownership of lands where existing paths exist (and hence possibly why the lack of upkeep). There are places where local residents claim to have been cutting lawn and planting trees (east side of Warden Ave south of Bridletown Circle); because nobody else is doing anything with it. I commend them for the good work, but not a viable solution for obvious reasons.

I think that was 12 years ago now, though I recall one serious injury of this nature from 2022. Still, it's pretty rare.
I'll add that this is what they put (now permanent jersey barriers are in place) on both sides of the several hundred feet bridge across petticoat creek (Pickering waterfront trail) because of pedestrian/cyclist collisions & near misses. It still seems like overkill in my view; especially considering it really doesn't force cyclists to dismount (as signed) on the bridge given its length. Interesting to see those with bicycle trailers go, or should I say, try to go through without a dismount or second person.

Screenshot_20230112_194240.jpg

I think that was 12 years ago now, though I recall one serious injury of this nature from 2022. Still, it's pretty rare.

No argument. I just fine absolutist statements that happen to be factually incorrect really irritating.

Cycling and walking are great ideas, and I'm 100% supportive of those and the infrastructure and policy choices that favour them, as my track record here illustrates.

I just don't think it helps when one hits up a link that's downright wrong and promotes it.

By overselling an already good idea you open yourself to be called out and undermining the inherently good idea you started with............

I assume you're referring to the short bit south of the 401 to Ellesmere Rd around the industrial park?

Staff are very indulgent w/me in picking their brains, so I try not to get too bogged down in details most of the time.

I asked, in general, about trails along branches of Highland Creek north of the 401.

In fairness to staff, it was I who brought up Toronto Water's past plans concerning the channels.

Staff were more of the take, 'Its not that we're not interested.......its that there 's a lot of stuff written down as priorities before we get to that"

However, there was a consensus on those stretches that remain concrete, that other departments and agencies have a say and that will be part of the process in due course.

There are many branches of Highland Creek, a good chunk of which are still in concrete. We can start w/this one:

1673579856423.png

Note that much of this has trail along it, but some does not. But that's almost 6km right there.

This is for sure concrete-lined:

1673580056119.png

Further north, you might think its not, because there's vegetation..........but....

This section for sure is:

1673580172291.png

A lot of stuff looks superficially natural, but is not.

Suffice to say, its a big project to fix this.........engineers of an earlier era made a big mess.

Reactions: PL1
The first picture above in your post is where they are adding new (cycling) paths.... Is the concrete/lack of naturalization really an issue for putting in infrastructure?

North on the west branch, it appears the concrete is only near the very bottom. Regardless, I don't understand why we can't even maintain (some have been in terrible shape for over 20-30? years) - low priority seems to be no priorty. I would even go so far as arguing it's a safety issue riding them today... Along those lines, here's another (bizarre) example if anyone wants an interesting read (Forgive the details, but I'm quite familiar with these paths having riden on them over several decades - my tailbone has never forgiven me):

There are a paths along both sides of the (west branch highland?) creek between Collingsbrook and Pinemeadow Boulevards. The path on the north (east) side was the original path that was 'closed' via signage post erected in the 90s? asking users to not use; the city cited safety concerns as reason for the signs. They eventually added a 'safer' path with wire fencing to prevent users from falling down the 45 slope on the opposite side, which also had better clearances overall. Since then (I'd estimate 20 years), the fence is all but completely torn/missing, and yet, hilariously, there is a new stormwater collecting pond on the opposite side that is completely fenced off and is quite the eyesore. Reason for the fence? You got it, safety. I'll hold my breath waiting to see that fence get fixed should it start to fall apart. Oh, and those orignal path closed signs were removed by the city (it had been so long the lettering had faded to nothing), but the asphalt was never touched.

For some reason these paths along the west highland are just left to fall into disrepair (beyond reasons I've mentioned in my previous post). And even when the city applies a 'fix', it also eventually seems to get ignored.

Back