News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I thought they did...
Seen them install radiant heating on GO train station platforms.

50372882878_217b7c31f4_b.jpg

Seen them install radiant heating on GO train station platforms.

50372882878_217b7c31f4_b.jpg
What are the odds that when they redo these platforms for level boarding that ML bothers re-installing the radiant heating system?
I guess that depends on whether they tear up the existing platforms or just pour concrete on top.

They instead would have created proper shelters covered from almost all sides. Even bus stops have better weather protection than this embarrassment.

And how wide did you expect the remaining amount of platform to be after your full-sized shelter?

Dan

20230126_114911-jpg.452724

Plowing the station platforms for some reason?
I sure hope there is a snowmelt system installed, hopefully there is and it’s just off? They definitely shouldn’t cheap out on that.

Also, did anyone else notice the (in my opinion) dangerous placement of the Presto reader. I thought the point was to encourage people to stand well behind the yellow line. I also thought that the narrower ”Ticket” spaces in the shelters were meant for these. On top of encouraging passengers to stand too close to the edge, this also indicates that they intend to make the whole platform area ”fare-paid” (POP), not just the vehicles.

(Edit: This will just encourage people to congregate at the ramps to the surface stops until the train arrives. I know I’m not starting my two-hour ticket window until the train is maybe a minute away. On the subway this would be the ”suicide-spot” where trains enter at the highest speed.)

Last edited:
I sure hope there is a snowmelt system installed, hopefully there is and it’s just off? They definitely shouldn’t cheap out on that.

Also, did anyone else notice the (in my opinion) dangerous placement of the Presto reader. I thought the point was to encourage people to stand well behind the yellow line. I also thought that the narrower ”Ticket” spaces in the shelters were meant for these. On top of encouraging passengers to stand too close to the edge, this also indicates that they intend to make the whole platform area ”fare-paid” (POP), not just the vehicles.

(Edit: This will just encourage people to congregate at the ramps to the surface stops until the train arrives. I know I’m not starting my two-hour ticket window until the train is maybe a minute away. On the subway this would be the ”suicide-spot” where trains enter at the highest speed.)

If they use ground source heat pumps, they could transfer the heat from the sewers to the snowmelt system.

The snowmelt system doesn't have to be on 24/7 during November to March. Just during snow, sleet, freezing rain, or ice pellet falls. Most of the time, it would be off.

Autos with the auto wipers only turn on during snow, and are not on 24/7.

A lot of these stations with platforms on the same side of the intersection really should’ve gotten a Wilson station-style canopy treatment.
Then the question becomes: how many more millions of dollars should be spent on a project that is already over budget?

And as a follow-up: will anything have to be cut (either from this project or another) in order to make up for it?

Dan

And how wide did you expect the remaining amount of platform to be after your full-sized shelter?

Dan
If that takes space, then they could have expanded the platforms outward, taking more space from the road. If that doesn't work, then they should not have built in on surface especially when most of the line is underground.

If that takes space, then they could have expanded the platforms outward, taking more space from the road. If that doesn't work, then they should not have built in on surface especially when most of the line is underground.
Like he mentioned, what would you be ok cutting to make the whole thing underground?

I would be okay cutting western extension to Renforth and using that money to build this line properly.
Funding doesn't work like that though. This part of the project was approved and budgeted 10+ years ago.

Plus you'd also be saying to part of the city, I want it slightly better so you can't even anything.

Funding doesn't work like that though. This part of the project was approved and budgeted 10+ years ago.

Plus you'd also be saying to part of the city, I want it slightly better so you can't even anything.
I am not saying that they should have built the entire line in one go. They could have built the at grade portion underground 10 years later.

To your second point, yes, that's what exactly happens in every city in the world. Not everything can be built in the city in one go. Some places have to wait for longer. We didn't build Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 at the same time. Some places had to wait because some other places were a priority. It's better to make something more useful with a wait of 10 years than make something that's not efficient and have it run for 100 years.

I am not saying that they should have built the entire line in one go. They could have built the at grade portion underground 10 years later.

To your second point, yes, that's what exactly happens in every city in the world. Not everything can be built in the city in one go. Some places have to wait for longer. We didn't build Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 at the same time. Some places had to wait because some other places were a priority. It's better to make something more useful with a wait of 10 years than make something that's not efficient and have it run for 100 years.
Careful with that line of thinking, it's a big part of why we got the Scarborough subway. Most people I talked to in the suburb during the debate said they wanted whatever was most expensive as they were sick of waiting close to 40 years for plans that never materialized.

Back