News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Looks like the video has been pulled
Cliff Notes:

It was a TorStar reporter who claims there may have been inappropriate expenses charged by Tory.
If I had to take a wild guess Tory was trying to impress her by taking her out to expensive restaurants.

Cliff Notes:

It was a TorStar reporter who claims there may have been inappropriate expenses charged by Tory.
If I had to take a wild guess Tory was trying to impress her by taking her out to expensive restaurants.
If he ends up changing his mind about resigning I think it will backfire on him and the media will do a lot more digging. I don't think he's going to resign unless they find something else in the coming days and he's tipped off.

OMFG. I get it, they don't want their obedient lapdog to resign and run the risk of having to deal with an actual progressive mayor, but enough already.

In his public statement on Friday, he clearly stated that he WILL resign, and gave a number of reasons as to why. Personally I don't think what he did justifies resignation, but since he announced his intention to do so, he has to stick by his word. If he walks this back it will look terrible on him and nobody will take him seriously at council (not that he'll need their support much with his fancy new powers).

I'm really tired of Tory. I was a big supporter way back in 2014, but 2 terms later, aside from restoring dignity to city hall after the disastrous Rob Ford gong show, I feel he hasn't achieved much that's noteworthy. If anything, Toronto feels like it's gotten worse in almost every category in those 9 years. Not all of the blame for that can be placed at his feet, but he surely could have done far more than he has with a bolder vision. He had the tools to implement changes but refused to use them. Instead, we got the classic Toronto approach of creating oversized budgets and then crying poor and going begging to the provs and feds for "emergency" funding to cover the shortfall, year after year. It reminds me of the Miller and Lastman years where this was an annual spectacle. The City of Toronto Act was created to avoid this ongoing comedy act and yet Tory has done nothing to properly utilize it.

He needs to go. Period.

Freeland encouraging Tory to unresign is really wrong to me (same with Ford but I expect it from him)... maybe she's used to realpolitik with international leaders, but encouraging the mayor of Toronto to go back on his word and cling to power after he already said he was resigning due to bad judgement is unacceptable to me for a representative of another level of government within Canada to be pressuring him to do that.

I didn't expect Tory to resign from this, but now that he has and has caused all this chaos, to unresign is the absolute worst option and totally undermines his seriousness and credibility as a person of his word.

Freeland encouraging Tory to unresign is really wrong to me (same with Ford but I expect it from him)... maybe she's used to realpolitik with international leaders, but encouraging the mayor of Toronto to go back on his word and cling to power after he already said he was resigning due to bad judgement is unacceptable to me for a representative of another level of government within Canada to be pressuring him to do that.

I didn't expect Tory to resign from this, but now that he has and has caused all this chaos, to unresign is the absolute worst option and totally undermines his seriousness and credibility as a person of his word.
Agreed. It reflects very badly on her to encourage him to go back on his word. Very surprising move from her. Expected from Thug though.

He has? Last I heard Tory said he would resign.

Yes you're right. I should have said "now that he has said he was going to resign."

But this kind of technicality doesn't change the ethical question for me. He said he was going to resign due to bad judgement. To break that is to me profoundly dishonest and dishonourable. And will undermine his credibility as a person of his word and his ability to viably lead, work with others, and build coalitions.

Last edited:
Took Rob Ford to the end of his term to finally get out of city hall, and his actions were worse.
To be fair most of what Rob Ford was accused of was only ever manifested as headlines for the star, the reason Tory acted on Friday was because the star was going to publish. The Star's behaviour during Ford's reign was why I don't take the star seriously anymore - it reached the level of harassment. Let's remind ourselves that the star gave itself an award for journalism and the "reporters" wrote books about it. I don't think John Tory should resign even if that was his first instinct. For myself I have had more than one kick-in-the-head moments over the past 3 years, things I never thought would happen, happened.
Tory may not be perfect but he has the energy and willingness to be mayor, at the end of the day I would rather acquiese to his family about continuing as mayor, they are the ones who have suffered the most.

Back