8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ebike anyone?

IMG_20221223_182029.jpg
Screenshot_20221223-182121.png

So the expanded station at Queen and Pape has some issues. They added a second row of docks in front of the original row. But if the front row is full of bikes you now need to lift a bike over the handlebars of the docked bikes to dock your bike. I witnessed someone struggle doing this the other night.

This one needs a rethink...
PXL_20221219_225124327.MP.jpg

So the expanded station at Queen and Pape has some issues. They added a second row of docks in front of the original row. But if the front row is full of bikes you now need to lift a bike over the handlebars of the docked bikes to dock your bike. I witnessed someone struggle doing this the other night.

View attachment 447813

Make sure and let Bikeshare know. If you're on twitter, maybe just tweet them this post; the photo and commentary together are quite instructive.

View attachment 447813
An inaccessible ebike!

View attachment 447813
Docks like this with a second row offset from the first exist in other cities (I am pretty sure they can be purchased as a less ugly integrated unit). Pretty sure they usually have signs on them that say to take from the outer rack first, and fill the inner rack first so that the inner rack doesn't have slots if the outer one is full.

Mulling through the Toronto Parking Authority's Capital Budget, I see something that will make many happy.......

The plans for expansion clearly go beyond the current 4-year program, significantly so in fact............there is money for more docks and stations in each and every year of the 10-year Capital Plan through 2032:

1673727773769.png

First number above is for 2023, second from the right is 2032, with the 10-year total at the extreme right.,

So you can see the numbers do get comparatively modest in 2026 and 2027, before building back up.

I would argue, when we get closer to the time, that some of that be accelerated (take the 2032 money and move it 2026 and 2027 respectively.

But that can wait for a bit.

I would infer that we're were looking at a build-out plan of around 1,400 docks.

Mulling through the Toronto Parking Authority's Capital Budget, I see something that will make many happy.......

The plans for expansion clearly go beyond the current 4-year program, significantly so in fact............there is money for more docks and stations in each and every year of the 10-year Capital Plan through 2032:

View attachment 450526

First number above is for 2023, second from the right is 2032, with the 10-year total at the extreme right.,

So you can see the numbers do get comparatively modest in 2026 and 2027, before building back up.

I would argue, when we get closer to the time, that some of that be accelerated (take the 2032 money and move it 2026 and 2027 respectively.

I would infer that we're were looking at a build-out plan of around 1,400 docks.
It seems to me that bikeshare is on trajectory to be a profitable business, or at least breakeven with high positive externalities. It would make sense to accelerate capital investment in that case. If only senior levels of government saw bikeshare systems as infrastructure and worthy of investment.

Last edited:

View attachment 450526

Wouldn’t be surprised if that increased capital in later years is for system replacement, not expansion.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that increased capital in later years is for system replacement, not expansion.

Doubtless that will be a factor at some point; but to be clear, I did clarify that there will be further expansion beyond what's been announced before posting..........(obviously subject to budget approval in a future year)

Last edited:
Looks like changes may be coming to the Bike Share Toronto fee structure:

Toronto Parking Authority Board of Directors recommend that City Council approve (as required by Section 441-11 of Chapter 441, Fees and Charges, of the City of Toronto Municipal Code) the following adjustments (excluding Harmonized Sales Tax) to the Bike Share Toronto program rate structure to take effect April 3, 2023:

a. annual 30 Membership Fee of $105.00;
b. annual 45 Membership Fee of $120.00;
c. annual Membership Overage Fee charges of $4.00 for every additional 30 minutes;
d. annual Members E-bike per minute charge of $0.10;
e. casual customer Iconic bike per minute charge of $1.00 unlock fee + $0.12 per minute;
f. casual customer E-bike per minute charge of $1.00 unlock fee + $0.20 per minute;
g. a 90-minute Iconic bike day pass (24h) of $15.00 +$0.12 for each additional minute; and
h. annual Bike Share Toronto Low-Income Program Membership Fee of $5.00.

yea the ebike premium fees im not suprised by.
the other changes are interesting

instead of a flat fee for every ride its basically paid per minute if you dont have the annual pass.

the 24hr pass now gives you 90 minutes for the rides before redocking
i think the 3 day pass is gone

Looks like changes may be coming to the Bike Share Toronto fee structure:

Toronto Parking Authority Board of Directors recommend that City Council approve (as required by Section 441-11 of Chapter 441, Fees and Charges, of the City of Toronto Municipal Code) the following adjustments (excluding Harmonized Sales Tax) to the Bike Share Toronto program rate structure to take effect April 3, 2023:

a. annual 30 Membership Fee of $105.00;
b. annual 45 Membership Fee of $120.00;
c. annual Membership Overage Fee charges of $4.00 for every additional 30 minutes;
d. annual Members E-bike per minute charge of $0.10;
e. casual customer Iconic bike per minute charge of $1.00 unlock fee + $0.12 per minute;
f. casual customer E-bike per minute charge of $1.00 unlock fee + $0.20 per minute;
g. a 90-minute Iconic bike day pass (24h) of $15.00 +$0.12 for each additional minute; and
h. annual Bike Share Toronto Low-Income Program Membership Fee of $5.00.

Overall, I disagree with the changes.

I think a price for the casual user that equates to $4.60 for a single 30 minute ride will discourage 'sampling' of the service and reduce overall uptake. $4 per 30 minute overage for the first minute of overage is also excessive.

Per minute pricing for E-Bikes is needlessly convoluted; a simple unlock (or base fee) difference would be better.

I also disagree with having a low-income pass; as I've discussed in many other contexts, most low-income people will never get one; you have to apply, you have to prove your low income, for many that's challenging bureaucracy and hassle; if they even know about it; and for others its an assault on their dignity; all while driving up complexity.

Take that sum of money and find an easier way to create affordable value.

For example, have a Presto Card; you can add a Bikeshare membership onto the card for only $100 for 30M/ and $110 for 45M. Alternatively, simply provide 45M with the $105 membership. Both would increase the value proposition. Integrate functionality with Presto either way; eliminating the need for an app or a fob or whatever other silly non-sense may apply.

This seems like its designed to deter membership growth.

Last edited:
Seems silly to charge a "low income" fee of $5. What's the point? I like the idea that if city staff are helping someone with housing, employment etc., they could offer a free membership to help someone get around the city without using taxis or transit, but why charge $5?

I could see the ebike getting some traction if they reach wide deployment. It's much cheaper than an uber ride.

Back