Lake Ontario

Member Bio
Reaction score
Redevelopment of the plaza at the southeast corner of Erin Mills Parkway and Folkway Drive, halfway between Highway 403 and Burnhamthorpe Road.
Proposed development: Five residential buildings with heights of 10, 8, 6, 6 and 6 storeys and seven blocks of 4 storey stacked townhouses containing a total of 703 units and 776 square metres of commercial space.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

Site:
Site.png

Site Plan:
Site.jpg

Development application available here under "4099 Erin Mills Parkway"
Planning Justification Report
Urban Design Study

Redevelopment of the plaza at the southeast corner of Erin Mills Parkway and Folkway Drive, halfway between Highway 403 and Burnhamthorpe Road.

View attachment 443429
View attachment 443430
View attachment 443431

View attachment 443433
View attachment 443434
View attachment 443428

Site:
View attachment 443453

Site Plan:
View attachment 443427

Development application available here under "4099 Erin Mills Parkway"
Planning Justification Report
Urban Design Study
A tiny bit of retail at ground level. Enough so that people who walk to the existing plaza could find at least convenience items? Looks to me like the car dependent neighbourhood around it would only get more car dependent.

I'm one who walks to this plaza, although rather infrequently since Michael Angelo's grocery store closed a few years ago, and was surprised to see the devapp sign posted today.

Photo from June 30th 2022
DJI_0574.JPG

Wow. I think I mightve only shopped here once, maybe twice but that was a couple years ago when I was in high school. It's a decent plaza, but I dont think it's a good plan to remove most of the retail GFA like it's already been mentioned here. Taking a bus or car to get groceries or take out is a lot less convenient than walking to your local plaza.

There was a community meeting hosted by the city councilor this past Wednesday at Erindale Secondary School. Glen, an urban planning consultant, represented the developer.

By the time I got there the parking lot was full and the auditorium was packed. The community came out in force and were passionate about the need to continue retail/commercial in the space.

Key points from community

* Gathering space – integral with our community, sports teams after games at Baskins, bakery, bank, hair dresser, dentist, vet, convenience, prepared foods, small restaurants, and grocery all walkable and servicing the community.

* Dentist spoke about the desire to stay and reinforced the lack of retail space for existing tenants. Noted, that she isn’t concerned about herself but all of her patients.

* Concerns about traffic, in and out; concerns for traffic down Sawmill Valley, small portion of folkway already very busy and difficult to get in and out of higher density complex

* Concerns over height and density of complex, with no services to existing residential. No respect or regard for existing design and density of neighbourhood.

* Very passionate and emotional young lady supporting development, unfortunately succumbed to nerves and the argument went sideways but her point through the emotion was valid that young people can’t afford to buy in the neighbourhood. Glen representing Queenscorp admitted that there is no consideration for “affordable housing” in the model. Would not comment on price points etc and honestly probably can’t as cost of building is unknown for timelines.

Honestly, seems pretty modest in terms of density. One would think more retail could be supported.
A lot of comparisons were made to the projects near Port Credit. Apparently, this one is several times more dense (units / acre). To be fair, the site itself is pretty small and it's gonna be filled up pretty tight.

It needs more retail, with at least one space big enough for a small-ish grocery store to replace the existing one. South Common isn't far and neither is EMTC, but this plaza does get used by a fair amount of people (at least it did back when I lived in the area). These little plazas make a big difference in commuting patterns for those adjacent neighbourhoods, and if an appropriate amount of new retail is not provided at this location, a lot of these people will be driving to South Common or EMTC more often instead of walking here.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this type of development pop up along Erin Mills Parkway. This is going to be a very developed and busy corridor in the future and is definitely going to warrant some kind of Rapid Transit line.

Last edited:
I didn't make it to the meeting (too busy) but my wife showed me a facebook opposition group to the project. I noticed they had lifted my photo without attribution from my December 17th post above :rolleyes::mad:

I didn't make it to the meeting (too busy) but my wife showed me a facebook opposition group to the project. I noticed they had lifted my photo without attribution from my December 17th post above :rolleyes::mad:
I would recommend watermarking your photos. People have absolutely no shame at all and don’t care about giving credit. I had people and companies stealing my 3D skyline images before I put a giant, but just barely visible watermark in the middle.

True. I guess I will have to but it just slows me down. I wish there was something built into the forum software that would do it for me automatically.

True. I guess I will have to but it just slows me down. I wish there was something built into the forum software that would do it for me automatically.
I think Bangkok should have an art show at AGM (art gallery Mississauga) in city hall. They rotate shows every other month. Get Jasonized in there as well. Just a thought.

Just saw this posted on insauga. Of course most people in the comments on the article on facebook were in opposition

I live north of the highway near EMTC. I sometimes take the long trek out here by foot and walk around the area... I only use this plaza for the pizza place at this point. Used to go to Michaelangelo's when it was still around. As a kid, used to go to the toy store that used to be there... I have some memories of this area

I think this is good but maybe needs some work. I like the brick design, I think that's more respectful of the SFH built form around it than something that could be more modern looking... but I don't like when plazas or just any commercial units in general are torn down, and then only replaced with minimal amount of retail

You're going to lose a decent amount of tenants here. I don't know how it works, if developers ask if former tenants want to come back to the newly rebuilt units... but there is almost always a lesser amount of units and smaller square footage when that happens. Just kinda messes with the fabric of a community without much care... also, hearing that affordable units wasn't even taken into question was unfortunate

I like the density, I'm almost always for adding density

But I can understand the complaints about traffic here, and I usually somewhat flippantly disregard those comments... but this area is a bit tight. That parking lot is tight... hopefully this comes to fruition, but with a few adjustments

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this type of development pop up along Erin Mills Parkway. This is going to be a very developed and busy corridor in the future and is definitely going to warrant some kind of Rapid Transit line.

The Erin Mills corridor is built out and there are few plazas to redevelop on the road. I can't see much densification along it.

Back