News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I predict we will get a new LUB, however it will not be the cure-all that many are hoping for. Not that I want to see that outcome, I would love to see rules simplified, contradictions between policy and design specs eliminated, and better built forms encouraged, however maybe I am just getting too old and bitter to believe the hype anymore......

I predict we will get a new LUB, however it will not be the cure-all that many are hoping for. Not that I want to see that outcome, I would love to see rules simplified, contradictions between policy and design specs eliminated, and better built forms encouraged, however maybe I am just getting too old and bitter to believe the hype anymore......
A huge reduction in the number of districts is what I am hoping for. Both Okotoks and Drumheller (Dinosaur Valley) got their totals below 15 districts.

I am on the edge of my seat to see what they rename the 'Public Realm Setbacks' table in the current LUB that they directly ported over from 'Road Widening Setbacks' from 2P80 LUB. Anyone have any guesses what they will rename the road widening setbacks that will 100% make it into the LUB update?

I'm pulling for 'Smart Growth Setback' for even greater ambiguity in what it means while maintaining super car-oriented policies from the 1970s.

I'll also be waiting with baited breathe for the new ways they will weasel out of having retail units being street-oriented and how they will keep retail oriented towards parking lots, because none of the street classifications the City maintains allow for on-street parking or traffic calming measures, especially on MDP designated Main Streets (think Macleod and 16 Ave). There will be a lot of great minds working on ways to reword how we will completely maintain the status quo of car-oriented development in the new LUB, but maybe now with reduced parking minimums.

Last edited:
Another City related item: https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...e-up-more-surplus-land-for-affordable-housing

Basically admin report to council that said they don't really have land to build affordable housing. How do they not see the opportunity in converting CPA owned surface parking lots in the downtown and inner-city into affordable housing sites? Just spit balling here but they could probably use any or all of these:
CPA Lot 71
CPA Lot 7
CPA Lot 43
CPA Lot 44
CPA Lot 82
CPA Lot 57
CPA Lot 20
CPA Lot 23
CPA Lot 6

If they would just convert parking lots to affordable housing on these lots, they would have a land bank for affordable housing for quite some time.

Another City related item: https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...e-up-more-surplus-land-for-affordable-housing

Basically admin report to council that said they don't really have land to build affordable housing. How do they not see the opportunity in converting CPA owned surface parking lots in the downtown and inner-city into affordable housing sites? Just spit balling here but they could probably use any or all of these:
CPA Lot 71
CPA Lot 7
CPA Lot 43
CPA Lot 44
CPA Lot 82
CPA Lot 57
CPA Lot 20
CPA Lot 23
CPA Lot 6

If they would just convert parking lots to affordable housing on these lots, they would have a land bank for affordable housing for quite some time.
Not to nitpick, and I think you are on to something, but I am not so sure the City owns all of those lots. Perhaps they just lease them from the owner for now, as an interim use (which, raises many questions about the City's commitment to overall policy goals, but that is another discussion).

For instance, isn't CPA Lot 82 part of the sales package for Grovesnor site we have been discussing recently?

Not to nitpick, and I think you are on to something, but I am not so sure the City owns all of those lots. Perhaps they just lease them from the owner for now, as an interim use (which, raises many questions about the City's commitment to overall policy goals, but that is another discussion).

For instance, isn't CPA Lot 82 part of the sales package for Grovesnor site we have been discussing recently?
You're definitely right, i am unsure of ownership arrangements for the lots.

I’m sure I’ve missed it somewhere but these buildings are all boarded up now just like the buildings further west and small house to the south. Anything down the pipeline on these?

I noticed this as well - hopefully something brewing for that site.

The enterprise rent-a-car needs a new location downtown. It's on 9th ave and not the most convenient to get to. I was talking to one of the guys who works there and he said the same. It's quite literally a box. A very small run down box. The lineups are out the door, and there's only one wash bay. On top of this, he told me that the downtown branch is the most popular branch in Calgary. Having used this location a few times, I believe him. They need more space, that's the bottom line. Perhaps a parkade would be a lot better. Lord knows there's no shortage of them
View attachment 447026
I recall seeing a for sale banner on the Enterprise lot about a year ago. Unfortunately it doesn't appear in Streetview. So maybe they are already looking? I think a lot of that block is owned by Metro Ford, so maybe when they move down to the Tsut'ina development, it will be available for development. Who knows.

Speak of the devil: https://nitcalgary.com/transaction/1020-1036-9th-avenue-sw/

🤔

9CCEDDF8-D3C6-4AA2-AD9F-4D46D91CF076.jpeg

Has anyone seen this yet? Seems like a terrible idea to me but I’m open to being convinced otherwise.

Calgary Looks to Demolish Aging Downtown Office Buildings

[The Demolition Program will provide financial incentives in the form of a $15 per sq. ft grant, based on the existing gross office floor area set to be demolished, with an additional $5 per sq. ft potentially available for projects that require asbestos abatement or hazardous material removal.]
There are quite a few older buildings that don’t need to be around anymore. As long are they clear out the crappy buildings this is fine but they prob won’t.

It's true, there are some buildings that are more or less crappy old buildings. The problem for me is what people (owners) might consider old and crappy. I'm worried it'll be decided by bean counters in NY or Toronto who will look at a building like the Petrofina building on some asset spreadsheet and decide it's old and crappy.

If too many of the older, smaller buildings get junked, we're liable to end up with a mix of nothing but parking lots, and buildings with uniform glass and steel frontage. Basically a high-rise version of Quarry Park :( This is only my opinion but, these older smaller buildings are the only thing that gives downtown any character at all.

Last edited:

Back