News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With those massive platform station name signs, where's the space for advertising (seriously)?
Are they not generating advertising revenue?
Metrolinx tends to keep their stations advertising to a bare minimum. Usually it’s Presto related or from major corporate companies (eg. Banks). Metrolinx’s design and aesthetics has always been business-corporate suite, so there’s no doubt this will be extended to here. The TTC is just the operator.

Why do we need to generate advertising revenue? It is a miniscule amount of money, and makes being in a station a dramatically worse experience.

Any revenue that offsets operating costs is a good thing, IMHO. It’s a question of when is too much.

I like the premise of planning advertising space into the design and building it in suitably…. As opposed to retrofitting it afterwards which inevitably looks junky.

I’m not saying ML has the amount or design right - we won’t know that until opening - but in principle they are doing the right thing.

- Paul

here, maybe?

View attachment 463284

just a guess, but it's not like ads are the most fundamental thing, lots of stations don't have them on the walls, and they're ugly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's impressive the line isn't even open, yet the bare concrete walls are already suffering from water damage. I guess Mount Dennis can get a pass though since it is outside.

It's impressive the line isn't even open, yet the bare concrete walls are already suffering from water damage. I guess Mount Dennis can get a pass though since it is outside.
typical for structures with poor waterproofing. not surprised for govt jobs where its lowest bidder and value engineering

When completed, will the Crosstown stations look at least like the completed stations on Line 1?

Shutterstock_12974308a.jpg
From link.

Shutterstock_12974308b.jpg

typical for structures with poor waterproofing. not surprised for govt jobs where its lowest bidder and value engineering
Being cheap is not something exclusive to governments.

Everyone is afraid of spending a cent more than they need to in this day and age. Governments because they're afraid of backlash from the "taxpayer", and the private sector is equally afraid of compromising shareholder value. The art of spending money to create something of value that lasts appears to have been left behind in the past. Bunch of morons, the whole goddamn lot of them.

Who is handling the leasing of retail spaces in the new stations? I thought Gateway but they filed for creditor protection last year. Can't find anything on ttc.ca or MX sites.

Honestly I think a solution would be to make it a policy that the second lowest bidder is chosen. Then contractor would be more confident putting in a realistic bid. If they just low ball it they won't get it. Makes it easier to be honest.

I can't think of a part of our subway system that doesn't leak. Lots of stations have had those sheet copper overhead gutters installed because of one leak or another.

The question is whether anyone has signed off the acceptance despite the defects observed.

Would we be happy with another delay while a contractor went back and (re)grouted some of those leaks... with further impact on opening day?

I suspect ML will choose to live with a few things.

When completed, will the Crosstown stations look at least like the completed stations on Line 1
Queens Park is in a state of repair (they are replacing the tiles), and I'm not sure a fair comparison. Nor did it look like that before with the old tiles.

Also, while I agree the aesthetic isn't great, isn't the water 'stains' running down the wall normal behavior (and not damaged as suggested)? I thought we just didn't bother spending the money to cover up what is typically normal?

Queens Park is in a state of repair (they are replacing the tiles), and I'm not sure a fair comparison. Nor did it look like that before with the old tiles.

Also, while I agree the aesthetic isn't great, isn't the water 'stains' running down the wall normal behavior (and not damaged as suggested)? I thought we just didn't bother spending the money to cover up what is typically normal?
Shows that people could use the new Crosstown LRT stations while construction continues around them.

Back