News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's impressive the line isn't even open, yet the bare concrete walls are already suffering from water damage. I guess Mount Dennis can get a pass though since it is outside.
It's no different than York U extension, or the Sheppard Line, or Downsview Station, or even all the way back to the original Yonge Line.

Any time you have a structure going underground, you're going to get water ingress in places.

Dan

Why do we need to generate advertising revenue? It is a miniscule amount of money, and makes being in a station a dramatically worse experience.
Why is it a miniscule amount of money? It seems the TTC has the space to add quite a bit more advertising if they wanted to and it would add colour as well as maybe helping out their bottom line. And I don't agree it would make being in a station "dramatically worse". Check out how many ads they stick in stations and trains in Japan! My husband refers to our trains as "葬式電車" (funeral trains) because they're so dark and dismal. 😒

Why is it a miniscule amount of money? It seems the TTC has the space to add quite a bit more advertising if they wanted to and it would add colour as well as maybe helping out their bottom line. And I don't agree it would make being in a station "dramatically worse". Check out how many ads they stick in stations and trains in Japan! My husband refers to our trains as "葬式電車" (funeral trains) because they're so dark and dismal. 😒
Regarding the trains, I think it's a uniquely Japan thing to have advertisement on the sides AND hanging from the ceiling in the aisle. I don't see that on other metro systems.

I wonder when it will be announced that this project is delayed to 2024? Why are they waiting to make the announcement? Might as well announce it already rather keep folks in suspense.
I'm not sure that it will get delayed to 2024.

They're backfilling more portions of the excavations at Yonge & Eglinton right now, and are getting ready to switch a portion of Eglinton west of Yonge off of the temporary roadway surfaces and onto the permanent one. That move should happen later this month.

There are locations along the south platform edges of the current Eglinton subway platform where they have started prepping for the permanent walls that will block off the tracks from the old platform.

The recent Yonge Line weekend closure was to set up the signal system for the new stopping locations of the trains once the platform is shifted northward. There may be one more closure to finish this work up.

Dan

I'm not sure that it will get delayed to 2024.

They're backfilling more portions of the excavations at Yonge & Eglinton right now, and are getting ready to switch a portion of Eglinton west of Yonge off of the temporary roadway surfaces and onto the permanent one. That move should happen later this month.

There are locations along the south platform edges of the current Eglinton subway platform where they have started prepping for the permanent walls that will block off the tracks from the old platform.

The recent Yonge Line weekend closure was to set up the signal system for the new stopping locations of the trains once the platform is shifted northward. There may be one more closure to finish this work up.

Dan
There is already chatter amongst politicians, MTO and MX that if everything goes to their plan that they will hand this project over to TTC around August. TTC will need 4 months to prep it and get the necessary training etc... I think everyone on this forum agrees TTC will need a 3-4 minimum mobilization period. With that being said, the earliest this line opens is November assuming everything goes to plan. Knowing MX nothing ever goes to plan and they have already started conversations for December or Q1 2024 opening.

I wonder when it will be announced that this project is delayed to 2024? Why are they waiting to make the announcement? Might as well announce it already rather keep folks in suspense.
Metrolinx has purposefully avoided specifying a new opening date to avoid bad press yet again if things have been delayed. They don't need to announce another delay right now as their official stance is "it'll open when it's done".

There is already chatter amongst politicians, MTO and MX that if everything goes to their plan that they will hand this project over to TTC around August. TTC will need 4 months to prep it and get the necessary training etc... I think everyone on this forum agrees TTC will need a 3-4 minimum mobilization period. With that being said, the earliest this line opens is November assuming everything goes to plan. Knowing MX nothing ever goes to plan and they have already started conversations for December or Q1 2024 opening.
I somehow read December 2024 in your post and thought that’s accurate

Someone remind me, when was the original opening date when construction started? 2019? 2020?
I found this article from early 2012:

Projected completion (by the TTC not Metrolinx) was 2022-2023. Metrolinx obviously maintained that the completion date would be 2020 till 2016/2017

Regarding the trains, I think it's a uniquely Japan thing to have advertisement on the sides AND hanging from the ceiling in the aisle. I don't see that on other metro systems.
Yes, it is uniquely Japanese to have ads hanging from the ceiling, but my point was not to copy what Japan does rather that there's a big gap between the barely there advertising we have and the "whoa that's a bit extra" that they have. I mean more than half the space they have set aside for ads within the TTC are empty right now. It's the equivalent to walking down a street where half the stores are boarded up. It makes it look like Toronto is facing a zombie apocalypse or something, hence my husband's comment.

Metrolinx has purposefully avoided specifying a new opening date to avoid bad press yet again if things have been delayed. They don't need to announce another delay right now as their official stance is "it'll open when it's done".
The closure you get to 2024 and no opening announcement the average citizens psychological mindset will start aggressively questioning whether this will really open in 2023. The stance right now publicly at least is that it will open this year i.e. 2023. That is the understanding what most citizens have. They have accepted that it is basically April now and this line will open within the next 6 months or so.

Clearly this is not the case as already confirmed internally by various stakeholders and is common knowledge within them.

Back