8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Would be better with raised crossings.
20220120-raised-crosswalks-toronto.jpg

See link.

The project is fine as it is Walter. Its a dramatic improvement, its a side street crossing along the Danforth. Must you be critical of absolutely everything that happens in Toronto?

The project is fine as it is Walter. Its a dramatic improvement, its a side street crossing along the Danforth. Must you be critical of absolutely everything that happens in Toronto?
Could have raised it now, not having to wait another 25 to 50 years to do it. Should be doing it with ALL side streets along the Danforth, whenever they do re-construction.

@W. K. Lis

As @adys123 notes above this is already in the design.

AND

Do you know what's really frustrating? I already posted as much just one page earlier, here:

You simply couldn't be bothered reading before commenting!

Honestly, I don't have many notes. Pretty much best practice, aside from slightly wider lanes in NA.

An update from Becky Katz on the Danforth/Kelvin project, just a bit more progress:

View attachment 464529

Enlarged photos:

View attachment 464530

View attachment 464531

Fun fact: Kelvin Avenue served as the entrance to Luttrell Loop, where streetcars turned back west, until the opening of the Bloor-Danforth extension to Warden in 1968. Presumably its wider than typical for a side street width for about 45 metres south of Danforth, where it then tapers and becomes narrower, is because of the former streetcar loop, a characteristic it shares with adjacent Luttrell Avenue, the exit from the streetcar loop.

Side note: sad to see that the ice cream factory store on the SW corner closed at some point in the past couple of years 😢

Bin For Cyclists In Denmark​

Luminous Pedestrian Crossing In France, When A Person Is Detected The Lights Turn On To Warn The Drivers​

(30) Times People Spotted An Example Of Good Urban Planning And Shared Pics Online

From link.

Holland, 1982-2020​

good-urban-planning-pics-3.jpeg

Urban Space Is Complex. But The Math Is Relatively Simple​

good-urban-planning-pics-4.jpeg

This Does Put A Smile On My Face​

good-urban-planning-pics-5.jpeg

These Public Benches Are Reversible, So You Can Choose To Look At People, Or Boats​

good-urban-planning-pics-7.jpeg

Heated Sidewalks​

good-urban-planning-pics-8.jpeg

My City, Delhi Is Redesigning Its S**tty Car Centric Good For Nothing Roads, Here’s Half Of A Wide A** Road Reclaimed​

good-urban-planning-pics-9.jpeg

Roundabout With Some Nature In The Middle, France​

good-urban-planning-pics-19.jpeg

Green Houses In Berlin​

good-urban-planning-pics-20.jpeg

Quince Street, Philadelphia. Legalize Narrow Streets!​

good-urban-planning-pics-27.jpeg

“Forget The Motor Car And Build Cities For Lovers And Friends.” – Lewis Mumford

good-urban-planning-pics-28.jpeg

Traffic Light With A Mirror To Allow The Drivers To See The Pedestrians/Cyclists That Are In Their Blind Spots

good-urban-planning-pics-29.jpeg

Becky Katz is obviously proud of the small project at Danforth/Kelvin (and rightly so, we just and a few hundred/thousand more of these).

She's posted another update, and her project team posted for a photo on-site. (Text part of update first)

1680269852368.png

1680269762835.png

1680269786493.png

Team pic (Becky on the left)

1680269818895.png

Taken from:

are there cells under that planter area, or is it another coffin?

I don't believe there were silva cells deployed here, but there are none needed, this will not be a coffin.

Silva Cells serve the purpose of protecting any tree roots from compaction by the sidewalk above.

But there, there is no sidewalk above, the tree will be placed within a planter, whose soil will be exposed to air.

Additionally, the concern is soil volume, I can eyeball the design and tell you there will be adequate soil depth and volume here to provide for a healthy mature tree.

The design also minimizes excess salt and encourages adequate moisture through the direction of storm water. This is a solid effort.

Second item for this thread comes to us via the agenda for the next TEYCC meeting.

There, a letter/motion from Councillor Saxe will come forward on the subject of pedestrian safety and Avenue Road.

I did hint at something just recently.........and voila:

View attachment 465474

Taken from:

Signs are useless for the want-to-be-expressway named Avenue Road. If they put up speed limit cameras on Avenue Road after putting up the signs, we'll have a revenue source like Parkside Drive and their useless 40 km/h speed limit signs. No improvement for pedestrian safety until they actually narrow Avenue Road down to 2 lanes in each direction an install proper Vision Zero action plans.

Back