By the time they grow in, they'll probably just be cut down for some construction project, which is normal practice in Toronto. Will it be for a sewer? Subway line? Underground utilities? Underground stormwater retention pond or parking garage? New landscape design?

We don't have a culture of respect for trees among those planning construction projects. The assumption is almost always that they're expendable because you can plant new ones. What that assumption misses is the fact that the most desirable trees are tall and have broad canopies like the ones that were cut down at Osgoode Hall. That's when you get the most shade and psychological benefits. But it takes decades for trees to mature.

To have great street trees, they need to respected and protected by construction planners for generations. Work has to be planned around them. They need to mature versus getting cut down every couple of decades to make construction more convenient.

Never say never, but probably not in this case for a long, long time. On another note:

AoD

Last edited:
So on a sort of tangent note regarding ozone filtration. I was browsing around koi/pond hobbyist forums last night and it seems the consensus on ozone filtration is 50/50. Most of the discussion centred around the high cost of maintaining such a system vs the tried and tested UV filtration systems. Difficulties in maintenance, cost and concerns about toxicity are reasons why it's a filtration system that hasn't gained traction or a huge following for pond hobbyist. The system is proven to be great at providing clear water but clear water can be achieve using traditional filtration systems and combined with a UV system. This being from a pond hobby side of things, Ozone filtration also eliminates beneficial bacteria.

Just random info that of course wouldn't be applied for a public water feature.

There are plenty of trees, they just need a few years to grow in.

The existing trees were largely non-native and many were unhealthy.

The pond isn't dirty, they just need to fix the ozone treatment system.
I think all the photoshopped pictures with a high contrast blue filter is giving pple a false idea what the pond is suppose to look like. Never thought this was to be a pool or for wading in. Slow news day I guess. Wonder if the media will cover this story when it's back up and running. NOT.

Some Torontonians seem unaccustomed to ponds. Ponds, like fountains, are for admiring. A pond is not a splash pad, swimming pool, or bath tub. I thought this was obvious but I've lost count the number of Torontonians who think it is.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before some philistine brings his/her inflatable.

Last edited:
Some Torontonians seem unaccustomed to ponds. Ponds, like fountains, are for admiring. A pond is not a splash pad, swimming pool, or bath tub. I thought this was obvious but I've lost count the number of Torontonians who think it is.

I suppose it's just a matter of time before some philistine brings his/her inflatable.
It's a World Class City thing!

trevi.jpg

As it should
It's a mess and an expensive item from taxpayers money
Should have been left with the existing mature shady trees without the dirty pond
Which taxpayers will continue to pay for during its lifetime

Funny how a little technical issue lead to such much hate for a park that had received so much public kudos already. Are you saying these things because the lack of growing pains undermines your own dislike for it?

AoD

Back