So.... to summarize: haphazardly placed metal fins, a dingy-looking underpass, and a comically large EAST HARBOUR sign. What a disappointment.

As an aside, I found it really funny how they felt the need spam the platform canopies with "East Harbour." You'd think people have a wider field of view, no?
I think spamming east harbour everywhere is fine, it’s much easier to look right out the window and see, Pickering has a similar setup and it works nicely

So far, not a lot of docs that would be enlightening or interesting to most, that have not been posted, but these may be of interest to some:

1699636377828.png

1699636670555.png

1699636738852.png

1699636835353.png

1699636907589.png

1699636958432.png

1699637059842.png

Okay UrbanToronto, the next consultations we all need to come through and speak up. Tired of sitting here behind a keyboard and taking this lazy shit from developers. We deserve better.

Why wait for that?

Who would you like complain to?

Metrolinx?

You can go through O/L engagement team here:

OntarioLine@metrolinx.com

For the GO Expansion - Lakeshore East team, use this form:

The Premier?

The Minister of Transportation?

Prabmeet Sarkaria - Minister of Transportation

minister.mto@ontario.ca

Why wait for that?

Who would you like complain to?

Metrolinx?

You can go through O/L engagement team here:

OntarioLine@metrolinx.com

For the GO Expansion - Lakeshore East team, use this form:

The Premier?

The Minister of Transportation?

Prabmeet Sarkaria - Minister of Transportation

minister.mto@ontario.ca
Thanks so much for these!

Last edited:
Exhibition has already submitted it's site plan with the much more ambitious design.

This is a "downgrade" from the previous, pie-in-the-sky, never-gunna-happen renderings, but that's not a surprise. It's a bit too much of a step down I believe.. but nobody should be surprised it's a step down.

The design itself works fairly well. My one comment would be to add a continuous canopy to create a grander sense of space above the platforms, and to add some convenience retail.
Yes, a continuous canopy would improve this design substantially from both an architectural and a usability perspective (do people forget that Toronto has winter?)

A continuous canopy encourages people to wait on the platform for the next train - not crowding the concourse.

Oh but we do - in renderings! Pity that we almost never back up all of those lovely ideas with actual substance. Our civic culture remains as cheapass as ever.

Don't just complain to UT, complain to the decision makers.

I offered up the means, here:

and here:

I think this is uh… a disappointment compared to what might’ve been expected. I don’t think we were ever given an indication those expectations would be met, but still, I understand the sting. Personally though, I think the render does a disservice due to the overwhelming grey. Much of the stations grandiosity is gonna come from its size+scale needed for its functionality, so the extra *pizazz* you want from something like this can come in other ways.

The easiest way to bring this in line with prior expectations is better material execution. As it is, this isn’t even in GO’s slick dark colourway they’ve been favouring or the OL’s wood tones, so this grey doesn’t feel permanent. Swap it out for those warmer materials seen on other planned stations (Exhibition), and upgrading that street experience will go a long way too. Again, this feels like an engineers arch document, so as long as the fundamentals aren’t touched, this can likely be revised for the better.

Do recall everyone that stations like King-Liberty have actively seen reductions in platform #s… this is the same old duck, it just needs some makeup.

I think this is uh… a disappointment compared to what might’ve been expected. I don’t think we were ever given an indication those expectations would be met, but still, I understand the sting. Personally though, I think the render does a disservice due to the overwhelming grey. Much of the stations grandiosity is gonna come from its size+scale needed for its functionality, so the extra *pizazz* you want from something like this can come in other ways.

The easiest way to bring this in line with prior expectations is better material execution. As it is, this isn’t even in GO’s slick dark colourway they’ve been favouring or the OL’s wood tones, so this grey doesn’t feel permanent. Swap it out for those warmer materials seen on other planned stations (Exhibition), and upgrading that street experience will go a long way too. Again, this feels like an engineers arch document, so as long as the fundamentals aren’t touched, this can likely be revised for the better.

Do recall everyone that stations like King-Liberty have actively seen reductions in platform #s… this is the same old duck, it just needs some makeup.

It also needs full canopy coverage over all the tracks/platforms.

And, ideally, escalators to the GO Platforms, Mx opposition to these is utterly illogical and bad planning/service.

It also needs full canopy coverage over all the tracks/platforms.

And, ideally, escalators to the GO Platforms, Mx opposition to these is utterly illogical and bad planning/service.
Agreed. I never understood the lack of escalators in Union, though I’m sure it’s some accessibility logic that doesn’t hold in practice. Full canopy coverage would be the one thing that they seriously need to reconsider on, no matter how plain.

I don't think people were expecting statement architecture like the WTC Transportation Hub/Oculus in NYC but this is about as stripped down and mind numbing as one could get. What a kick to the teeth. We all know nice things cost money but sometimes one should aspire to more than a Shoppers Drug Mart in train station form. Union Station 2.0 you are not.

Last edited:

Back