This station is so close to Mimico. Definitely not looking forward to my trips to and from Toronto taking longer. I get that it looks appealing to put a station here because of all the high density in the area. If that's the case, then they should seriously consider closing down Mimico once this station opens.

This station is so close to Mimico. Definitely not looking forward to my trips to and from Toronto taking longer. I get that it looks appealing to put a station here because of all the high density in the area. If that's the case, then they should seriously consider closing down Mimico once this station opens.

These stations being close wouldn’t be an issue if GO operated EMUs.

If you're going "to and from" Toronto then you are coming from outside the City and would probably be on an express train anyway, which doesn't stop here. There are 4 tracks, so the speed of local trains has little effect on the speed of express trains.

These stations being close wouldn’t be an issue if GO operated EMUs.
They've been talking about adding this station for decades. GO could well have EMUs, or at least shorter and lighter trains with more acceleration by then.

These days they only do 5 stops between Union and Oakville - travel time 36 minutes at peak. Sixty years ago they did 8 stops in between, with travel time of 43 minutes. Another stop on the non-express services won't break things.

They've been talking about adding this station for decades. GO could well have EMUs, or at least shorter and lighter trains with more acceleration by then.

These days they only do 5 stops between Union and Oakville - travel time 36 minutes at peak. Sixty years ago they did 8 stops in between, with travel time of 43 minutes. Another stop on the non-express services won't break things.
Today's peak period express trains only take 32 minutes when running express with one intermediate stop.
Screenshot_20240211-125845.png

Off-peak express trains take 33 minutes with 2 intermediate stops:
Screenshot_20240211-130506.png

The big speed improvement from GO Expansion comes from the fact that there will be frequent express trains all day rather than just the 5 peak and 2 off-peak express trains per day that we have currently.

With frequent express service it doesn't matter to an Oakville-Toronto traveller how long the local service takes because it's always faster to wait for an express train.

Today's peak period express trains only take 32 minutes when running express with one intermediate stop.
View attachment 539974

Off-peak express trains take 33 minutes with 2 intermediate stops:
View attachment 539975
I doubt that the express trains will stop at Parkside - or anywhere between Clarkson and Union. Though I wonder if they'll stop at Exhibition once the Ontario Line subway opens.

I doubt that the express trains will stop at Parkside - or anywhere between Clarkson and Union. Though I wonder if they'll stop at Exhibition once the Ontario Line subway opens.
I expect that all GO Trains will stop at Exhibition and East Harbour once the OL opens, in an attempt to divert passenger flows away from Union and thereby reduce dwell times there. Shorter dwell times at Union means more capacity for frequent service.

Express trains definitely won't stop at Park Lawn or Mimico.

My suggestion is that express trains follow the current off-peak express stopping pattern (Burlington, Oakville, Port Credit, Exhibition). The stop at Port Credit will be particularly useful for regional travel once the Hurontario LRT opens.

It is almost like they are planning a sort of RER service along Lakeshore West from Union-Spadina-Exhibition-Mimico-Park Lawn and so on. Could it be done?
Yes that's what GO Expansion is for. However the current plans for Front-Spadina station only include the Barrie line (express and local) which is a bizarre arrangement. It would make more sense for it to serve LSW, Kitchener and Barrie local trains but not expresses.

I would argue that GO lines should not be express trains to subsidize suburbia while blowing past the denser, lower income city. Regardless, electrification and the faster operations it will bring will mean your commute will be faster, not slower, even with new stations.

Back