Maybe Ryerson could use it as an athletic facility, akin to U of T's Varsity Centre. It's right there, it's a sports arena... Perhaps the economics of it could be worked out somehow.

Adaptive reuse may just be the best fate for MLG, and there's nothing shameful in that. I'd rather a tower added than the whole thing raised. Preserving MLG in its original entirety just doesn't seem likely, and in the meantime the building continues to fall apart. Is this how the heritage folks love their buildings?

Yeah this is how most of them end up before either demolition or expensive restoration.
1082947364_119e2ee2c31.jpg

Well, they love their buildings reasonably "whole". In fact, anyone who blithely says "Blow out the roof keep the facade and build some condo towers" like it's a *good* thing is practically *begging* for a "die yuppie scum" backlash from the heritage community...

Perhaps it could be left to crumble away, like the ancient ruins in many European cities. It'll be an aging testament to past glory days in hockey history. Sprouting a condo tower through its roof would almost be a bigger disservice than just leaving it there in its lonesome.

they should get rid of the anti-competition clause. That is uncompetitive and I think the lawyers should take a look at it. This is the biggest stumbling block here. Imagine this... bring another NHL team to Toronto, upgrade the rink (at a very high cost I know). IT would be economic and competitive. Toronto can easily support two NHL teams.

I know, I know..never going to happen...

With the Leafs being an awful team for the past 40 years and the ACC being a sell out every game why should it not happen.

MLG would be a horrible place to put a new franchise. No luxury boxes for starters, and that's immensely important. It's one of the biggest reasons why Winnipeg's new arena isn't considered good enough and will be the biggest cost in upgrading an upgradable Copps Coliseum. MLG just doesn't have the ability to be converted into something competitive for an NHL franchise.

MLG just doesn't have the ability to be converted into something competitive for an NHL franchise.

not only that, but the maple leafs would never allow another nhl team so close to them. there's some sort of rule about not having a team too close to another. it was one of the many reasons why the possible relocation of the pens late last year to hamilton never happened.

Perhaps it could be left to crumble away, like the ancient ruins in many European cities. It'll be an aging testament to past glory days in hockey history. Sprouting a condo tower through its roof would almost be a bigger disservice than just leaving it there in its lonesome.

I like this idea. Instead of fake Roman centurions set up outside the Colosseum we could have ex-NHL'ers on rollerblades and Leaf jerseys working the tourists for photo money.

Smuncky - Actually, that isn't entirely true. The legality of the territorial rights veto has never been brought to court, and it's more of a myth than anything that the Leafs have veto power. Bettman has tried hard to make sure this never goes to court out of fear of what could happen since it's in violation of anti-trust law.
Stephen Brunt's article really sums up the issue quite well. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070625.NHLBRUNT25/TPStory/Sports

It also should be noted that in the really near future (we're talking days maybe weeks at most) Balsillie and the Predators group will be coming to a deal on the team. This really could get ugly because the Nashville group wants nothing to do with the team anymore, since the Boots Del Baggio fiasco has come to the forefront.

not only that, but the maple leafs would never allow another nhl team so close to them. there's some sort of rule about not having a team too close to another. it was one of the many reasons why the possible relocation of the pens late last year to hamilton never happened.

Thats not capitalism. Thats just like the LLBO and Brewers Retail having full control and not approving, off licence or corner store sales,then there is the CRTC.I guess i shouldnt go there,the problem in this province is that people just get rammed with whatever is given to them even if it means paying more and not having the best quality product.

Smuncky - Actually, that isn't entirely true. The legality of the territorial rights veto has never been brought to court, and it's more of a myth than anything that the Leafs have veto power. Bettman has tried hard to make sure this never goes to court out of fear of what could happen since it's in violation of anti-trust law.
Stephen Brunt's article really sums up the issue quite well. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070625.NHLBRUNT25/TPStory/Sports

It also should be noted that in the really near future (we're talking days maybe weeks at most) Balsillie and the Predators group will be coming to a deal on the team. This really could get ugly because the Nashville group wants nothing to do with the team anymore, since the Boots Del Baggio fiasco has come to the forefront.

hmm. i had no idea. thanks for that link to the article.

Photos from Nuit Blanche

2915336949_6b794e5db6_b.jpg

2915337409_354b636448_b.jpg

2916181744_1851025ac6_b.jpg

2915337165_8318ac72f4_b.jpg

2915339637_b59b61a74c_b.jpg

2915338847_c27e8c597b_b.jpg

2915340181_bb453cec04_b.jpg

2916184810_6397859da0_b.jpg

2916185086_4ab106a96c_b.jpg

2916185822_f2633934bc_b.jpg

2916186668_aaccfeb39c_b.jpg

Looks like the building is still in a pretty good state of preservation. Lucky for those who want to see it continue as an arena or an entertainment venue that it shouldn't take too much effort to restore it... just need to replace whole sections of ripped-out seats.

It's a travesty that this art deco landmark from the '30's, home to the most famous Canadian sports franchise for more than half a century, has been sitting empty for a decade! It is also very telling about the lack of respect we pay to history, architecture, and culture in this city, and sadly, in this entire country as well. Sure, Loblaws was allowed to purchase it on condition that some restoration would take place and that the ceiling would be preserved. But if, after 5 years, they haven't been able to put a lick of paint on the place it's time for someone to lean on Loblaws to sell it or let government acquire it (yeah, right) and turn it into something worthwhile. A national museum of CANADIAN culture would be great, combined with some form of retail along Carlton and Church - including a (much needed in the neighbourhood) LCBO. How about a mid-town dance club in part of it? How about another farmers' market? How about a hockey rink with retail on the periphery? There are dozens of potential uses that could honour the building and enliven this part of town, but please, let's not let this place rot any longer!

Back