The toe was a little too much, sure its would of been something new for Toronto. But it was too overbearing in comparison to the sony center.

No doubt Libeskind will design a new podium, something more proportional in comparison to the existing structure.

I too am not necessarily lamenting the loss of this 'toe'. The retention of the Sony Centre profile is a huge gain for this city.

Agree, the toe always looked like it was stomping on the O'Keefe Centre. I just wish they would rethink the base of the tower rather than just lopping the toe off.

I'm now also very sceptical about the 'plaza' component which sounds like a bit of a diversionary tactic (plaza = some paving stones and a bench).

I'd like to see a curve that reflects the roof at the base. I think that could look cool. Something curving into the ground.

Has any of the construction on the renovation started at least? It was supposed to in August, and the tower to follow next summer, but haven't heard anything on the reno even???? Anyone know?

It's like phantom limb pain: there's nothing going on there, but something is happening.

It was reported in The Globe And Mail back on October 6th that the Canadian Music Hall of Fame was to have been one of the tenants of the podium portion of the L Tower. Seems we missed that, so I thought better late than never to record that fact into this thread.

That institution just can't catch a break, can it? (Meanwhile the Walk of Fame seems to be stalled too - no move into Metro Square for it.)

Anyway, I wonder which project the Music Hall of Fame will set its sights on next. If I were them, one place I'd look at would be the "ribbon building" to be built along the south side of the Distillery. Not that I know what's planned for that building exactly, but it's going nowhere fast at the moment, so that seems perfect for the CMHF. Another site? Is all of the space in the commercial portion of Maple Leaf Square spoken for? Or what about - - -Hockey Hall of Fame moves into Maple Leaf Gardens, Music Hall of Fame moves into the Hockey Hall of Fame's current home?

In the end, being able to identify a specific use with some of the space in the "cultural component" at the L Tower makes the loss of that space a little more tangible. I have no idea how well the Music Hall of Fame would have programmed its spaces and would have done as an attraction overall, but I am a bit sorry that I won't get the chance to find out, at least as a part of this building.

Maybe they should set their sights lower. Like, say, make themselves the Canadian Music Hallway of Fame. Somebody's got to have space for that...

Oh - here's another CMHF idea: wherever Wolfgang Puck declares he's going to open a restaurant in this town, well, just wait a year and the space will be free! They won't even have to move any tables out, because there won't be any. Really, Puck and the CMHF should team up for a joint lack-of-project.

November 4 2008 update

no 'l tower' construction started on site ~ this is the future "public plaza" ... promising huh? ;)

IMG_2440.jpg

To much politics,personally i think they should just scrap the plans for this location and take it up to the Bloor/Yonge Yorkville area.

Last edited:
From what I can tell there's definitely some activity inside the Sony center ... likely due to the renovations.

On the outside ... nothing. You really got to wonder about this project now.

It's possible the failure of the cultural center is really delaying things as a lot of new permits have to be filed ... if not who knows what's going on.

Back