yeah, a lot of city parks are gated, so that they can be closed at night. there is always a groundskeeper around to maintain the place too. there are others that are private.

^^
When I lived in London I found the gated parks really annoying. They have less access points and close too early. It didn't make me feel much safer either. Although ASBO's will take care of that issue anyways--fences or no fences.
The closest thing to a London style gated park in Toronto (I believe) is Osgoode Hall.

Tuscani01 over at SSC posted these two images. I'm not sure where he attained them from. He also mentioned that the road between the two towers will be lined with retail that leads down to the park.
parade.jpg

I didn't realize that there's also going to be some highrises direct to the west of the park. It looks like it'll all be framed nicely.
parade2.jpg

This is what Concord wanted:
cityplaceparadevision.jpg

The city wanted something like this:
cityplaceparadecity.jpg

What we are getting:
cityplaceparadepark.jpg

The park:
cityplacepark.jpg

The podium of Parade, which I have to admit looks amazing:
cityplaceparadebase.jpg

Based on those images, chalk one up for the city. The Concord version up top looks sterile.

the headline is misleading...it's a public park...

Private park at heart of project

TheStar.com - living - Private park at heart of project

March 01, 2008

Blending the beauty of a three-hectare park with the interior design of a condominium is the plan for Concord's City Place Parade.

There will be two 38-storey and two 18-storey towers with pleasing lake and park views.

"Parade takes those wonderful New York buildings that ring Central Park as its starting point," says Alan Vihant, vice-president of development at Concord Adex Developments. "On the south side, we are creating the largest, privately funded city park in recent history. There's also another park to the north."

There are interior courtyards and tree-lined boulevards wrapping all around it.

"It's really four towers that sit inside a park and are surrounded by green space," says Vihant.

The project is designed by world-renown architects Kohn, Pedderson, Fox of New York and London.

The north end of the park runs north from Bremner Ave . in Toronto's west downtown. A lush, landscaped pathway of natural stone flanked by mature trees leads up to them.

"There's a glass bridge that connects the 38-storey towers at the 28th floor. In the glass bridge, there will be a lounge area and above that there will be some large-scale deluxe penthouses right in the bridge," says Vihant.

The suites reflect the bonding of outdoor and indoor space with such touches as walls, floors and countertops made of natural materials.

"The suite sizes, prices and features cater to the whole marketplace. It's not exclusively a first-time buyer or investor project," says Vihant. "There's the whole gamut of one-, two- and three-bedroom suites. We will also be building townhouses at grade level. All the streets will be lined with townhouses on three of the four sides."

The park is a tribute to author and artist Douglas Coupland. The design is inspired by Greg Smallenberg of Philips Farvaag Smallenberg. Corporate art consultant Karen Mills was also involved.

The overall theme of the park will be the creation of what Coupland calls a library of Canada.

"There will be works of art, but also the topography itself will capture a sense of the country and its spirit," says Mills. "We will use earth excavated from the building sites to create a natural bluff and other features. The topography will become a statement about the place and history this site has seen."

The park will also be home to the Terry Fox Miracle Mile, a walking path dedicated to the Canadian hero whose cross-Canada run raised funds for cancer research in 1981.

Divided into quadrants, each area will be dedicated to leisure, sports, recreation and play.

"The park will be the living heart of Concord City Place," says Vihant. Excavation of the site has begun with closing dates scheduled for fall 2010.

Prices start at about $250,000 for a one-bedroom suite of 483 square feet.

The sales centre and model suite is located at 23 Spadina Ave. Hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week. Call 416-813-0999 or visit www.cityplace.ca.

October 4

Looking northeast at Luna with the new park under construction in the foreground.
2920510092_a41740cdc8_b.jpg

Looking southeast.
2920510106_43cfc63334_b.jpg

woohoo ... you've gotta love living in Crane City ;)

Yes, thank you. It's a bit relieving to see some actual progress on the park, more than just moving dirt around. I'm still hoping for a late spring, early summer opening

Nov. 1

Since my post in the Signature thread in response to Tewder's question about the Park was thrown in the trash and not recycled to this thread, here is a picture I took from West One on the weekend. Not the greatest, but it's something. The Park should be open in the Spring '09.

DSC03762.jpg

Thanks for adding it here!

Great to see the park starting. Quite cool.

I think the legions of articles that have contrasted CityPlace in Toronto with its Vancouver counterpart have been too quick to judge. Our project is hardly half done, really, and with this park and the more recent buildings I think it could come together quite nicely.

Vancouver's also has the decided edge of bordering the ocean, rather than stuck in between a railway and an expressway.

I remain unconvinced that "clever" parks like this (and hTo, Sugar Beach etc.) will stand the test of time.

The designers will scoop a few awards and "success" will be placed by appropriate media on their mantle, but will these designs matter at all in 50 years, 100 years, 437 years?

There are some tried and true models of "meeting places" be they urban "leafy" parks or squares/piazzas.... that have stood the test of time.

Sometimes it's a good thing to take out a large piece of the public space designer's grey matter... to remind them to KISS. Borrow, steal from the best and don't be obsessed with being "totally original" ... it ultimately might fail.

Afterall, the space should be some place we all want to visit regularly, not an expressionist wank that is revered by a few erudite insiders and a place we visit once.

I understand the politics involved in being forced to create something this clever and this damn big right downtown (or no density/height)... I just don't think it is wise or necessary to use this kind of ill-conceived balancing act between soaring towers and open space.

I'd rather see Cityplace intensification (subject to my seminar on how to meet the street) on this footprint, leaving a narrow but animated/exciting east-west spine typ-o park that re-inforces e/w ambulations... and if possible, sends some of those Saturday wanderers south to the lakefront.

Back