I appreciate your posts on this Barrytron, but yeah, I will quit for now. Come on out to the Forum Meet at the Madison on the 28th and we can yack about it more!

My point is that it completely fails at looking like a farm, and is an insult to farms everywhere.

The problem i have with this building is that the "barn" is soooooo wide. And those tiny windows, ugh. And the colour, it's just so beige.

It's a city hall building, not a farm.

The large building allows for more interior space.

The windows are not small.

There is nothing wrong with the colour; you just don't like it.

I didn't know a farm could be insulted. If so, then you've insulted the building in question.

well duh it was rural, that's not my point. My point is that it completely fails at looking like a farm, and is an insult to farms everywhere.

Except that if it was more literally a faux farm, it'd be even more of an insult to farms (and civic complexes) everywhere...

City Hall represents a few different things. The clock tower is a nod to Port Credit's lighthouses. The "office tower" type thing is suppoesd to represent modernity or the future or what not. And the barn represents farming of course.

All IIRC of course.

The cylinder refers to a silo, the large pedimented building to a barn, the office tower to a farmhouse and the clock tower to a windmill.

It's High Post-Modern referentiality. It's not meant to be overly literal.

Back to U we go, I hope...

It's High Post-Modern referentiality. It's not meant to be overly literal.

Back to U we go, I hope...

Yes, back to U and its "contextual modernism"...I am getting a bit concerned that a number of these all-glass buildings, that look so stunning in the night-scene renderings, are not turning out that attractive...especially those that used the grey glass and grey cladding....glas on Charlotte is one example. There are others , don't know all the names....

U could fall into that category, depends on the detailing...

I think a lot of the time, it's not so much how they look now, as how they might look in 30 years +, assuming wear and tear and maybe in places deferred maintenance. They were built to be sleek and new, after all...

That's surprising, but very good news.

Mark Cohen, senior vice-president of sales and marketing at Condo Store Marketing Systems Inc., says the initial success of U shows that well-conceived, well-priced condos in great locations can defy even economic turndowns.

Nice that 142 units were sold in November 2008; however, what I find more interesting is the lack of details of sales since then.

With confirmation from MikeinTO about the complete freeze in transactions, I wouldn't be surprised if there haven't been many more since.

It's all in the details ... even with this RE story

Sales haven't completely frozen over since the beginning of November - some sites that aren't brand new openings (like U) are reporting the odd sale every couple of weeks, but it's about as ugly as it's been in a couple decades. Hopefully some consumer confidence can be restored after the upcoming provincial and federal budgets.

The most interesting part of the story posted by Automation Gallery regarding Realnet's numbers isn't the 142 sales at U, but the 143 total sales in the sub-market - suggesting that there was only 1 sale from a project other than U in that submarket for the month of November... which is the downtown core submarket that also happened to only report 1 sale in the month of October (although to be fair there aren't many active projects in this submarket - 1 King, Aura, Burano, L Tower, London, Lumiere & Trump).

Don't forget that many of these downtown projects have already had strong sales, i.e. Aura, Burano, London, Lumiere.

Side note, is Burano sold out? Since they destroyed the sales office with the old building?

Back