I agree...the structure is still there, but it's empty and rotting away (you can still see the concrete supports for the old zip lines and rope bridges). They went and replaced a creative and open-ended play experience with carnival rides...bizarre, foolish move. It's damn depressing to see that tent sitting empty (or worse, full of trash) when it used to have so much to offer...sigh...

You hear endless talk about kids getting fatter and fatter these days, due partly, to lack of physical activity, yet they take away the Children's Village play area, which was a great place for kids to burn off calories. I remember playing there for hours, as a kid, jumping on this and swinging on that. Is it any wonder kids are getting fat when we take away opportunities for them to combine exercise and play together.
I noticed that Centre Island did that too when they removed those round spinning thingies, (to ride on) which used to be so much fun. There is nothing like that anywhere even in Toronto now. I guess the fact that they were free and nobody but children were benefiting from them, helped lead to their demise.

You hear endless talk about kids getting fatter and fatter these days, due partly, to lack of physical activity, yet they take away the Children's Village play area, which was a great place for kids to burn off calories. I remember playing there for hours, as a kid, jumping on this and swinging on that. Is it any wonder kids are getting fat when we take away opportunities for them to combine exercise and play together.
I noticed that Centre Island did that too when they removed those round spinning thingies, (to ride on) which used to be so much fun. There is nothing like that anywhere even in Toronto now. I guess the fact that they were free and nobody but children were benefiting from them, helped lead to their demise.

Any playground equipment that is even remotely fun has been replaced with something dull, safe, and as lawsuit-proof as possible.

So, as the shabby tabloids'll tell you, they can find other ways to work out--like, maybe, sexual intercourse. Interesting what you can learn from a firewall-less internet these days...

Gone is the "Alpine Way" cable car ride that took you over the grounds from one end to the other

images4.jpg

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...acturers+Building+cne&um=1&hl=en&cr=countryCA

I loved the Alpine Way, and while this nostalgia kick gets away from the focus on the Children's Village and the loss of that high energy/low maintenance playland I'm going to plug some of my other favourites at the Ex including the arcade under the Alpine Way, the haunted house rides, the Bulova Clock Tower, the fish pond game and the "doggy, doggy" guy. I miss the old Ex, or maybe I just miss being a kid.

Here doggy, there doggy, everywhere a DOGGY DOGGY!

including the arcade under the Alpine Way,

You mean the one with the BINGO pylon? Yeah, that bit the dust right at the brink of its latent heritage rediscovery, circa 1987. What an orgasm of circa 1950 carny architecture that was...

Governments are running both Ontario Place and The CNE into the ground, slowly but surely. (cut by cut by cut)

Ontario Place

They should make it an actual Amusement/entertainment park like La Ronde in Montréal. Toronto's Tivoli perhaps.
There would be enough room there if they use the east side parking lots.
With a proper management company it would turn a nice profit, the location is great for tourism.

They could start by improving the transit link, as I've said, and then adding something that all amusement parks need.......RIDES! Yes, what's currently there is not bad, but a family can pretty much go through the park in only 2 hours or so, when I worked there I had more than a few guests mention that.

One thing, the Chinese Lantern Festival is great, that draws a lot of people, they should do more seasonal "exhibits" like that, at least in the short term.

Aquarium

I've always loved the unique, futuristic architecture of Ontario Place and wondered why it was never developed to it's full potential. It seems to be ignored by the government and Torontonians. Not surprising, as there is not much there beside the Cinesphere and Molson Theatre. The government has allowed it to deteriorate slowly, year by year.
It could be an amazing site for large festivals and shows year round. It does need better transit, and YES, those parking lots need to be redeveloped. Ontario Place needs a major attraction like an aquarium, museum or art gallery. A new Ontario pavilion would be great too. It's about time we realized what a gem that place could be. It's already a visually stunning place. It would also be a great place to showcase new technology, as well as green technology. (housed in an iconic waterfront building, of course)

Aquarium should be THE MUST!

I remember the 'pods' once had the Lego centre, with areas where they have all the different blocks imaginable with thousands available, so you could really get creative. It was a memorable childhood experience when it was located in there. With the glass curtainwall, the views over the water were terrific and it really made the experience unique.

They should make it an actual Amusement/entertainment park like La Ronde in Montréal. Toronto's Tivoli perhaps.
There would be enough room there if they use the east side parking lots.
With a proper management company it would turn a nice profit, the location is great for tourism.
Yes!
Aquarium should be THE MUST!
And also yes!

The major problem with rides, is that it would have to compete with Wonderland. Wonderland is the best money making seasonal theme park in North America though, so I'm sure they could afford to lose a few customers.

Back