00043.jpg

00045.jpg

00046.jpg

00048.jpg

00049.jpg

00052.jpg

00018.jpg
chinatown_ottawa.jpg

Ottawa's Chinatown on Somerset Street West...

Flar: Good photo tour of Ottawa's Chinatown and Somerset Street West!
How large a population and how large is Ottawa's Chinatown in area if you know? Are Oriental-Canadians predominantly English speakers over French as I suspect?
I noticed a lot of good sturdy brick construction and rowhouse types there.
LI MIKE

You photographed every business in the district. :) Really, it's just a mini Chinatown. Still only one bbq store too. Nice set and walkabout, thanks.

You photographed every business in the district. :)

Almost!

(I have to stretch things out in Ottawa or I will run out of tours...)

LI Mike: I don't really know how Ottawa sustains a Chinatown, even if it is small one. I don't know the numbers for Asian Canadians in Ottawa, but Ottawa seems like a very "white," very "Canadian" city to me coming from a Hamilton/Toronto context. That said, around 3/4 of the people I saw during this tour were Asian (not necessarily Chinese of course).

Almost!

(I have to stretch things out in Ottawa or I will run out of tours...)

LI Mike: I don't really know how Ottawa sustains a Chinatown, even if it is small one. I don't know the numbers for Asian Canadians in Ottawa, but Ottawa seems like a very "white," very "Canadian" city to me coming from a Hamilton/Toronto context. That said, around 3/4 of the people I saw during this tour were Asian (not necessarily Chinese of course).

A lot of under 30s; perhaps students from Carlton? - getting their comfort food: pho, congee, cha shew pork on rice...

I think I've asked before about your technique, but your pics exhibit a consistency - sharpness/exposure that is pretty well, consistent. Are you doing any post processing? What cam are you using? RAW or jpg?

those last three photo's are very hamiltonesc!
well, i suppose they could be anywhere.. but reminds me of hamilton.

A lot of under 30s; perhaps students from Carlton? - getting their comfort food: pho, congee, cha shew pork on rice...

I think I've asked before about your technique, but your pics exhibit a consistency - sharpness/exposure that is pretty well, consistent. Are you doing any post processing? What cam are you using? RAW or jpg?

For neighbourhood tours I shoot jpegs, usually on a cloudy or overcast day so I don't have to deal with high contrast sun and shadows. I use shutter priority (1/250 guarantees sharp photos) and make adjustments using exposure compensation (1/3 stop increments). For post-processing I use curves to adjust the exposure slightly, but not on every photo. I just like them to look uniform. Two passes of unsharp mask makes them look nice and crisp (I do that as a batch process at the end)

those last three photo's are very hamiltonesc!
well, i suppose they could be anywhere.. but reminds me of hamilton.

The brick looks similar, and they are attached, but they have Ottawa's flat roofs, which are fairly rare in Hamilton.

Good information / video resource

Firstly-- love your photos, flar! Great shots :). I was especially interested by the one which shows a view down the intersection of Somerset and Preston-- obviously you took your photos before the construction started there... that is quite an impediment to good photos!

For a decent (but quick) overview of Chinatown (history, demographics, interesting things, etc.), I recently wrote an article/blog post here. It's got this short video at the end too:

[video=youtube;s-kqw2jIth0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kqw2jIth0[/video]

Only Place in the world, where there is no china town is china :D
I been there couple of times. Now it has grown into multicultural town. Interestingly, Ottawa also have a Little Italy !

00026.jpg

I think Ottawa is such a special, undervalued city. You have consistently taken some spectacular pictures of my hometown.

I wonder if you would know this - I believe you said you live or lived in Ottawa - are there any plans for this empty space? There have been several vacant spots that look like buildings once existed there, and many of them, as well as ones in other parts of the city, such as Centretown, look like they could sustain nice outdoor space or exciting buildings.

There are lots of restaurants (obviously) in Ottawa's chinatown but I recommend trying Ben Bens on Somerset. Its a small family-owned restaurant across the street from the big and often crowded Yantze restaurant. I used to go to Ben Bens with a colleague all the time during my lunch breaks. They have a great lunch menu! Its also very close to the cool Chinatown Royal Arch.

Looks China-like, because it is called Chinatown. But in China they have a lot of trains and subways, did you not manage to get a picture of one?

Back