News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The Bulletin has an article saying it was delivered already, and will be running on extra track on the Sheppard line soon.

The Bulletin has an article saying it was delivered already, and will be running on extra track on the Sheppard line soon.

Link?

Whoa. The Sheppard line? The platforms are not long enough for 6 car trains.

This would be for testing, not revenue service. There is available headway and tail tracks to run the new train on Sheppard keeping the doors closed without impacting scheduled service. The subway doors can be controlled so that some cars keep the doors closed if they decided to allow people to ride.

This would be for testing, not revenue service. There is available headway and tail tracks to run the new train on Sheppard keeping the doors closed without impacting scheduled service. The subway doors can be controlled so that some cars keep the doors closed if they decided to allow people to ride.

Makes more sense to test the unit on the YUS, where it will be in use, and headway is available late evening, and when the subway is close. But the TTC knows what they are doing!

Makes more sense to test the unit on the YUS, where it will be in use, and headway is available late evening, and when the subway is close. But the TTC knows what they are doing!
Presumably many of those involved with testing and training are on day shifts. I'd think it would be cheaper to do this in daytime, if it can be done without impacting service.

I was thinking about this issue.. There are some interesting points.. Firstly, its only one train-set on first delivery, secondly, I've done a number of fly-bys on the new barns at Wilson yard, and though they have usually some T1s parked inside, it seems unfinished. There is a lot of track-work to the north of the new barns that is yet to be completed. Also, if the trains are to be thoroughly tested, storing them on the Sheppard line's significant western tail-track, or even the rarely used and wholly unnecessary northern platform makes a lot of sense. Not only is this line a good test-bed (*remember its also been fully fitted with the new ATO-ready signaling system*), it will keep the trains completely away from the elements until the new barn is actually ready.

I'll head up to Sheppard today and see if I can see anything,,

The TTC does know what they are doing. They are testing the vehicles because they know the tracks and platforms work already. The tracks and platforms have worked for decades. It is the vehicles that are new and the tracks and platforms are the same gauge.

I really don't mean to produce any unwarranted hype, but I did pass by wilson yard today, and I noticed a mobile crane on the west side of the car houses. It seems like just the kind of crane to be used to hoist the new cars off a flatbed and onto a track.

It makes sense considering that the fist train is supposed to arrive just about any day now. Could be tomorrow, could be tonight.

Of course it could also be completely unrelated...

Back