so you don't think it will be finished by dec 2011 kondoz?

Maybe someone with more construction experience can weigh in. But it seems they are on around the second floor right now. I was assuming 2 weeks per floor (taking into account the winter months). That would put the outside finished around mid 2011. Can the interiors be finished in only 6 months?

Maybe someone with more construction experience can weigh in. But it seems they are on around the second floor right now. I was assuming 2 weeks per floor (taking into account the winter months). That would put the outside finished around mid 2011. Can the interiors be finished in only 6 months?

My previous prediction on the last concrete pour was sometime in March 2011, but that was before I saw that massive 6ft thick main floor slab which was insane in the amount of rebar and its complexity to the surrounding walls. That slowed them down at least an additional 4-6 weeks. The new S'Bus prediction for last pour is last week of April.

The plumbers and electricians will likely start working on the garage levels very soon and follow the building up. If they want to get the building finished by year end 2011, they are going to have to push the masons hard, as their is a lot of brickwork to do. The good news is that a spring start for masonry, is ideal for production!

My previous prediction on the last concrete pour was sometime in March 2011, but that was before I saw that massive 6ft thick main floor slab which was insane in the amount of rebar and its complexity to the surrounding walls. That slowed them down at least an additional 4-6 weeks. The new S'Bus prediction for last pour is last week of April.

The plumbers and electricians will likely start working on the garage levels very soon and follow the building up. If they want to get the building finished by year end 2011, they are going to have to push the masons hard, as their is a lot of brickwork to do. The good news is that a spring start for masonry, is ideal for production!

good comments guys! Are you in the industry Spadina Bus? Why do you think the main floor slab was so thick? The building is a smaller building so they wouldn't have to wait until the 12th floor was done before they started working on the inside of say the first few floors would they?

Update photo from Dec 11th. Looks like they are working on the walls on the fourth floor and have some of those poured already in the front. The south portion of the building is starting to show up more against the north half.
Plumbing stacks and vents are up to the main floor.
Go concrete guys go!
Victory Condos is in the background. Looks like it has topped out.

400wellingtondec11.jpg

good comments guys! Are you in the industry Spadina Bus? Why do you think the main floor slab was so thick? The building is a smaller building so they wouldn't have to wait until the 12th floor was done before they started working on the inside of say the first few floors would they?

Not in the condo business, but been around enough big construction. I am not sure why that slab was so thick, didnt seem economical at all. Perhaps the truck loading areas had some impact - the slab was 6' thick.

Someone else help us out here! I can't imagine any structural rationale for a 6 foot thick slab.

It could be a transfer slab dealing with alignment issues between the structural walls and columns in the parking garage and the structural walls and columns above. These slabs transfer loads between these walls and columns which in a perfect world would be aligned vertically. Maybe what worked for the parking garage didn't result in marketable suite layouts or vice versa.

It could be a transfer slab dealing with alignment issues between the structural walls and columns in the parking garage and the structural walls and columns above. These slabs transfer loads between these walls and columns which in a perfect world would be aligned vertically. Maybe what worked for the parking garage didn't result in marketable suite layouts or vice versa.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the info. Are you an engineer?

Also, when do you guys think they will start putting up cladding? Is there a standard floor where buildings start doing this?

That's the logic for transfer slabs but I'm pretty sure that six feet thick is way beyond what would ever be called for in that scenario.

They are soon to pour the 5th floor slab on the south part of the building. They are moving faster than I thought.

Picture in the snow today.

400wellington19dec.jpg

Back