News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Of course, there are no Canadian examples to compare to buildings and units like those in 740 Park Avenue, New York:

2008_4_740park.jpg

A Long-Lasting Landmark

Last Sunday (2011:01:30) I went searching for the Harbour Commission Building - and eventually found it!

TNHarbourCommBldg1932.jpg

Attachments

• TN Harbour Comm Bldg 1932.jpg
    TN Harbour Comm Bldg 1932.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
What a fascinating correspondence!

The Lawrence Park Apartments to me represent the best - perhaps a simplistic, romantic, idealized "best" - of the old way of apartment living in pre-highrise, pre-condo Toronto.

I envision "Flappers" as tenants in the 1920s adjusting their bob hair-doos, hats and dresses as they run out the front door to catch the Peter Witt streetcar to work downtown.

Another gem of "Gatsby picturesque" on Yonge: the Crescent Apartments across from Rosedale Station...

There was talk awhile back about the North York Cemetery (behind the North York Centre) and it going all the way up to Yonge street. I found this Arial - 1947. My apologies if it has been posted already.

5410896748_3b35a7ddd7_b.jpg

5410348509_224b4234a5_b.jpg

Aladone,

How most exquisitely interesting. In the Then picture, the dirt runway is obvious. There are also turnoffs to go to the buildings.

Even more interesting is how many of the airfield roads have been retained in the cemetery layout, particularly the two roads flanking what was once the runway.

Bravo! :)

What I wouldn't now give to see some ground level pictures of the Willowdale airfield in its heyday.

February 3 addition.

Built in 1848, the House of Industry on Elm street, Toronto. It was Toronto's early answer to social welfare and assistance before formalized and widespread government programs were commonplace.

From 1947 onwards until recently it was Laughlen Lodge, a seniors residence.

Now the http://www.ywcatoronto.org/assets/pdf/shelter_housing_support/2009_ywca_elm_centre.pdf which is coming along nicely.

The old facade has been saved and integrated into the new development.

More infomation, including some touching "Notes by House of Industry staff about people requesting help".

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/acquisitions_fonds1035_houseofindustry.htm

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0076.jpg

The old facade has been saved and integrated into the new development.

Which is an interesting case of "facadism, twice over" (i.e. it was saved as part of Laughlen's expansion 30 years ago--then all that was demolished, and it's been saved all over again)

Here's a pic from the Ontario Archives, circa 1900:

houseofindustry.jpg

From the 1884 Goad Atlas (they definitely were much blunter in their nomenclature in those days........):

elmmap1884-1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to compare this institution, Mustapha, to the House of Providence at Queen East and Power (which you posted last month) in terms of the role it played in 19th C Toronto. By the time the House of Providence was demolished in 1962 for the Adelaide/Richmond ramps of the DVP, it was a huge complex as seen in the 1930's photos below:

queeneastmap1884-1.jpg
queenpowermap.jpg

houseofp.jpg

houseofprovidence1890.jpg

9-15powerstreet1936.jpg

9-15power.jpg

More info: http://www.providence.on.ca/about/history

Last edited:
Which is an interesting case of "facadism, twice over" (i.e. it was saved as part of Laughlen's expansion 30 years ago--then all that was demolished, and it's been saved all over again)

I don't remember there being any sort of "Save the House of Industry Facade" movement in either instance.

Which means that this facade is a sort of self perpetuating "Heritage" element (can't call it a building, can we?) that no developer has the nerve to raze.

In any event, it seems even more out of place this time around.

thecharioteer, it's a pleasure to look at the maps that you post.

In your map below, you can find the buildings in the picture.

queeneastmap1884-1.jpg

9-15powerstreet1936.jpg

February 4 addition.

More on the YWCA Elm development. Looking N on Chestnut towards Elm.

s0372_ss0001_it1432.jpg

Now. February 2011.

DSC_0133.jpg

Last edited:

Back