Re parking issue:

You should talk to your lawyer. One possible solution is "rectification". Basicallly this allows the parties to retroactively correct the legal documents to reflect the true intention of the parties (ie both you and the builder had intended that parking spot X was to be purchased and not Y. But talk to your lawyer about whether this would work or other solutions.

RE: Parking Issue

Just curious how you found out that you were given the wrong Parking Space. Did the builder actually tell you that the wrong parking space was assigned? Also, is the parking space that was suppose to be assigned to you still available or was it given to someone else? I was told that the assignment of parking spaces is strictly on a lottery basis so I find it very strange that they would admit that they did not give you the one that the lottery assigned you too.

Re parking issue:

You should talk to your lawyer. One possible solution is "rectification". Basicallly this allows the parties to retroactively correct the legal documents to reflect the true intention of the parties (ie both you and the builder had intended that parking spot X was to be purchased and not Y. But talk to your lawyer about whether this would work or other solutions.

Thanks Marsh. The builder's lawyer is the road-block, perhaps not much for them to gain financialy by doing this.

Back onto the deficiencies discussions above, I have to say this and I have been meaning to write this for some time. First, I am really pleased with the overall quality of the construction, materials and architecture of the X. It's a gorgeous building and Great Gulf did a great job. There are things I will and have changed already. That is part of making a place "yours". Second, when I did my PDI there were almost 30 deficiencies, some major, most minor. Within a few days most were fixed. Within 2 months all the major deficiencies were fixed including replacing the entire floor (it was that damaged). I have 1 minor deficiency left and am waiting on a part to arrive. I have bought pre-construction several times and Great Gulf and their staff, without a doubt, was the best builder I have ever dealt with. I do not have any condensation issues on the windows. And I can't say why others are having different experiences, but I have nothing bad to say. Third, we can all debate atheistic (mechanical on roof, art in lobby, chandeliers, etc., - I like the chandeliers, the “hat” is what it is) but overall this is a great job and a great building and I am absolutely thrilled that I bought here. I think the X is as good as it gets. Perhaps, it's just what you make of it?

Back onto the deficiencies discussions above, I have to say this and I have been meaning to write this for some time. First, I am really pleased with the overall quality of the construction, materials and architecture of the X. It's a gorgeous building and Great Gulf did a great job.

I have been pretty pleased too. There were far more, and larger, warranty issues than with previous purchases but resolving them has been going very quickly (subject to material availability). I will be giving a preference toward Great Gulf for future condo purchases over other builders.

The water issue continues to be very annoying. Replacing the shower head with a high-flow model helped a bit with pressure as did cleaning out the filters in the tap heads (lots of grit). Still not great but it is usable.

When I did my PDI there were almost 30 deficiencies, some major, most minor. Within a few days most were fixed. Within 2 months all the major deficiencies were fixed including replacing the entire floor (it was that damaged). I have 1 minor deficiency left and am waiting on a part to arrive. I have bought pre-construction several times and Great Gulf and their staff, without a doubt, was the best builder I have ever dealt with. I do not have any condensation issues on the windows. And I can't say why others are having different experiences, but I have nothing bad to say. Third, we can all debate atheistic (mechanical on roof, art in lobby, chandeliers, etc., - I like the chandeliers, the “hat” is what it is) but overall this is a great job and a great building and I am absolutely thrilled that I bought here. I think the X is as good as it gets. Perhaps, it's just what you make of it?

Wow-replacing your entire floor is a big deal - and not to say a major inconvenience if you had already moved in. The customer service people are very good, I agree. The trades people they have come in , well, not so much.

Speaking of water, does anyone have any issue with toilets not flushing cleanly? Both my toilets require at least two flushes and I have been advised by management that this is an issue related to the new "efficient toilets."

I moved in 6 weeks ago and am pleased with the overall quality. Only a couple of minor deficiencies which were very efficiently dealt with and resolved. My only outstanding issue now is awaiting replacement of the dishwasher....it was not draining and the appliance serviceman was not able to fix on two occasions.

Speaking of water, does anyone have any issue with toilets not flushing cleanly? Both my toilets require at least two flushes and I have been advised by management that this is an issue related to the new "efficient toilets."

Yea, I don't live in your building but I've had the same issue with several low flush toilets. I hate them.

Does anyone have issues with their floors? The in 2 separate areas in my unit, the floor has started to separate from the baseboards which has left a very noticeable gap.

I suppose it's possible that I missed this in the PDI, but I doubt it. Im pretty sure these just popped up over the last few weeks.

abnea.jpg

q8zq7.jpg

Does anyone have issues with their floors? The in 2 separate areas in my unit, the floor has started to separate from the baseboards which has left a very noticeable gap.

I suppose it's possible that I missed this in the PDI, but I doubt it. Im pretty sure these just popped up over the last few weeks.

yikes, ... just inform customer service b/c that obviously wasn't done by you.
it's either a QC issue or improper installation.
if GG/customer service doesn't do anything, are you still within the 30 day Tarion PDI?
if so, include it. if not, you will have to wait for the 1 year.

I didn't buy in this building, but I am looking to rent now and have seen units in several buildings including X, Casa, Bloor St., 500 condos, and a couple of others in the area.
I must say I don't know what all the fuss is about the X. The lobby is fabulous, and the building is nice if you like Mies type architecture, but I think the interiors are the worst of
all the above. The front doors look cheap and are very low, the interior doors also are lower than at the other buildings. The bedroom doors look like closet doors. There is absolutely no
closets or storage room. The microwave in the island rather than above stove is ridiculous and a waste in such a small space. The hallways are narrow and the choice of colour is pretty bad.
A lot of the doors were damaged. Eleveators are smaller, and the floor plans of the 3 units I saw are ridiculous and and impossible to place normal furniture, especially with those coloums.
I realize there must be units that upgraded and chaged some of these things but in some of the other buildings these things are standard.
I was very disappointed and glad I didn't purchase here. But I guess they must be doing something right with 90% sold in X2. Or is it that people in Toronto will buy anything.

I didn't buy in this building, but I am looking to rent now and have seen units in several buildings including X, Casa, Bloor St., 500 condos, and a couple of others in the area.
I must say I don't know what all the fuss is about the X. The lobby is fabulous, and the building is nice if you like Mies type architecture, but I think the interiors are the worst of
all the above. The front doors look cheap and are very low, the interior doors also are lower than at the other buildings. The bedroom doors look like closet doors. There is absolutely no
closets or storage room. The microwave in the island rather than above stove is ridiculous and a waste in such a small space. The hallways are narrow and the choice of colour is pretty bad.
A lot of the doors were damaged. Eleveators are smaller, and the floor plans of the 3 units I saw are ridiculous and and impossible to place normal furniture, especially with those coloums.
I realize there must be units that upgraded and chaged some of these things but in some of the other buildings these things are standard.
I was very disappointed and glad I didn't purchase here. But I guess they must be doing something right with 90% sold in X2. Or is it that people in Toronto will buy anything.

Some of the upgraded units are nice, but the interiors are nothing special IMO. Casa and 500 have nicer interiors. Hell, I like Casa's exterior better. I think X is overall a nice project just poorly executed in some ways (lobby furnishings, ugly mechanical box, not a fan of the public art either). The spaces are very small and awkward which is why I never purchased there.

X2 hype is pretty funny considering X had no hype. Hell, I was hard pressed to find an agent who even knew what X was 2-3 years ago.

I do find the hallways in X a bit cramped compared to 500 Sherbourne. I think it has to do with the ceiling height. On the 4th floor of X, they have played around with the hallway colour. You may remember it was all gray and not warm looking at all. A few weeks back they repainted the hallway (looks to be a brownish colour), which looks better - but still, it's missing that warm feeling.

I have seen units in Bloor Street and found them to be horrible. The layouts did not appeal to me, the quailty of the units compared to X did not appeal to me and most of the units seemed "dark" because they lacked the floor to ceiling windows.

There is a decent amount of storage/closets in the unit I have. It is a condo afterall. I personally like the sliding door in the bedroom. It's a nice feature, especially considering I have seen other condos which have doors, which is not practical because then you can't open the door fully if your bed is there.

I have not seen Casa, so I cannot vouche for that building, but I think X is a great building compared to Bloor Street. 500 Sherbourne was a very nice building - I really have nothing bad to say about that development.

Definitely subject for a new thread... but I also HATE them (not just in X). They clog if you put so much as a postage stamp in them.

Last edited:

Back