A Royal Flush

A hesitant commode can be most distressing, particularly that early-morning sense of horror at rising flood waters. Not to mention the emotional damage it will inflict on guests.

The only real solution is to replace your wimp of a toilet with something built for the job. For those seeking a truly decisive flush, may I suggest the Toto Ultimate -- about $400 plus another hundred to install. Well worth it. I bought two of them and have never looked back. Or you can probably find something decent for much less at a building store but I don't have any experience with other brands.

The exterior architecture of X is a great interpretation of classic modernism, specifically the work of Mies v.d. Rohe -- you either like that sort of thing or you don't, but for those who do it's perfect. EXCEPT FOR THAT F"N HAT ON THE TOP. Don't get me started.

The interior however has some issues. Plus - great lobby except for the chandeliers and awful artwork. Minus - dark, low-ceilinged hallways with cheap finishes. The units are 7 out of ten in terms of layout and finishes compared to what you typically get in your average condo, but the prices were lower compared to other "high-end" buildings launched at that time so you shouldn't expect top of the line.

Casa definitely has nicer interiors -- very elegant and well-designed. But the balconies are a waste of space IMHO and a vertigo-sufferer's nightmare. Also IMHO that particular intersection at Charles & Yonge is pretty dodgy.

Poor Tridel Condo built quality

I lived in a Tridel building for few months and wasn’t impressed either. Every morning when my neighbour had his shower, I woke up from a really loud noise that was due to the running water in the pipes. I could tell when he had a bath or just a quick shower.

Hmm, so I am not alone!!!

I rented a Tridel condo in Markham for 2 years, and whenever my neighbour were having a shower/bath, I could hear that annoying noise. I was so upset with it that I moved to North York.

Unluckily, the condo in North York is also developed by Tridel, and it is newer but built even more poorly -- whenever my neighbour flushes after using the washroom, I could hear them!!!

And, the toilet is small -- it might be good for the environment due to smaller usage of water for flushing, but then sometimes when you have a lot of output :mad: , the toilet clogs -- makes me real mad.

I am very disappointed, and I tell me friends that Tridel Condos are not worth the money.

I will post more on YouTube and other forums (I just discovered this one) when I have more time.

Finally, things are already breaking down in the current condo -- I am the first renter and it's only 2 years and things are breaking down. Older condos have thinker walls and built with better materials.

Also when I asked one of the workers of College Park which colour I should use to match with the existing colour of my white walls. He said, that the paint used by the builder was the cheapest one that they don’t sell it in store. So any white colour of any brand will be better.

On which other forum you are going to post it? For me paying extra for Tridel is just paying extra for their customer service. It’s like you pay high premium on insurance and if something breaks they fix it. It has nothing to do with the way or the materials Tridel will built your suite.

I had so many deficiencies in my X unit and some Great Gulf refused to fix. For example, they installed the tiles around one of my bathtub up to my hips (and I'm short 5'7). There’s already mould all around the bathtub and the colour is peeling off. I don't get it how a builder like Great Gulf Homes installs a shower head on a drywall and not a title! I try to convince them to put more tiles at least up to the shower phone, but as of now they just ignored all my communication with them.

Tridel has great customer service and that's what sets them apart from other builders. All builders use the same materials. Finishes may be different but the materials are pretty much the same. So its not just Tridel that uses cheap paint. Most builders do as well.

Tridel has great customer service and that's what sets them apart from other builders. All builders use the same materials. Finishes may be different but the materials are pretty much the same. So its not just Tridel that uses cheap paint. Most builders do as well.

I can chime in on this conversation .... I do find that Tridel's customer service team are a bunch of amazing people to deal with and always (try to be) helpful, however the quality of materials, finishing, and craftsmanship has definitely been going downhill in their recent projects

For those that upgraded to the additional home theatre wiring.... What is it exactly? Aside from being able to mount the tv on the wall, does the upgrade include holes in the wall to drop the different cables through? I will be moving into Charlie condos and this is one of the upgrade options. The description of the upgrade only specifies an additional electrical outlet 5' up, cable outlet and wood backing.

Inside Public Art

92085c2a.jpg

Photo by Me

New to the site and the forums but I have been visiting for some time and enjoying the discussions here. I just wanted to say that I moved into the X Condo a couple of months ago and I am loving it. I did spend $20K on renos ($5K just on the bathroom) though to get it to where I wanted given the builder's finishes were not the highest quality (as others have voiced) and the layout was not being fully realized. I have a background in Architecture so I was able to have a vision of the space to make the necessary improvements to enhance it further and improve upon the just terrible finishes. Overall I am more pleased than ever to have found this unit, this building and I am so enjoying life in the X :cool:

Last edited:
Cooling in the building is down again. Not good. Those chillers thankfully are still under warranty and these better be commissioning issues only :confused:. Better not have any special assessments :mad:. Past condo had these but it was 40 years old and was to be expected.

Hello everyone,

I am having chip issue with my upgraded countertop (a white granite). It's been replaced 2 times and both times included chips. Since the countertop is white the chips are very noticeable and get stained easily from wear and tear.

GGH has told me they will replace it a 3rd time but to note the upgraded rock is temperamental/soft and they cannot guarantee it's quality. So, I can either upgrade the same stone and sign a waiver or select a new stone.

Here is my issue. I am not concerned I will select a new stone, have it replaced, sign the waver and if it’s problematic I am stuck with a bad quality stone I paid an upgraded cost for. So, I requested to see the standard samples along with the upgrades and if I select a standard I would want a refund for the upgrade I paid. If I select a standard and it’s not good quality/damaged, at least I did not pay a premium for it.

I was sent a few samples to choose from and what I thought was a standard was told it is an upgrade. I am having a hard time with GGH to confirm exactly what the standards are and it’s getting very frustrating.

Does anyone remember or know what the standard options were and if anyone else had issues with their countertops?
Thanks so much!!!

UPDATE: GGH helped me out ad the issue is resolved. No need to reply.

Last edited:
Cooling in the building is down again. Not good. Those chillers thankfully are still under warranty and these better be commissioning issues only :confused:. Better not have any special assessments :mad:. Past condo had these but it was 40 years old and was to be expected.

I was worried it was only my unit. My AC was blowing warm air all night and hitting 78 degrees. This has happened before. I can only imagine the strain on the system with all the humid weather we have been getting.

I was worried it was only my unit. My AC was blowing warm air all night and hitting 78 degrees. This has happened before. I can only imagine the strain on the system with all the humid weather we have been getting.

This is like the 4th time that this has happened. Glad to say that is back on tonight. I will sleep much better. Phew!

So what do some of you think of the new artwork at the concierge desk. I know there were complaints about the previous artwork, which has now been moved towards the elevators. I do like the new artwork myself - would love to hear your thoughts. I like this artwork as well, playing off the outside 'art' structure.

artsy-fartsy.jpg

Back