It was built when David Crombie was mayor. They instituted a 45 feet plan meaning nothing taller than 45 feet. That's why it is so short.

Well, technically, the limit was "temporary", pending a comprehensive city plan. Yes, the stubbiness may have been a response to Crombie...but the provision was a response to whatever was forthcoming once the limit was lifted. (Though it'd be interesting to see if any renderings exist of what may have been proposed for the top--if they were ever done, of course.)

Yup - you're right that's why its so short. But I believe the Foundation can support a taller building.

I'd be quite surprised if Holts moved even if their lease is up. Pre-financial crisis MGMT had big plans to renovate the store. There was talk of a central glass staircase connecting the main floor to where the Spa is now.

How about the HBC at Yonge & Bloor. HBC has been spending a lot of money renovating the Queen St store but Y&B remains a dump. I bet HBC would love to shed that lease. HR could take it over and renovate it, either for a permanent or temporary location and its current location can be razed for condos. Win-win.

How about the HBC at Yonge & Bloor. HBC has been spending a lot of money renovating the Queen St store but Y&B remains a dump. I bet HBC would love to shed that lease. HR could take it over and renovate it, either for a permanent or temporary location and its current location can be razed for condos. Win-win.

I say they'd still have to knock it down and rebuild it... that place is crap, especially the outside, what were they thinking when they built it.

i will say that the Holts store is not bad looking from the outside (bloor street), but is HORRIBLE for a downtown street wall.

Really? I agree it is not the most interesting of facades but they usually do a pretty decent job with the windows.

I say they'd still have to knock it down and rebuild it... that place is crap, especially the outside, what were they thinking when they built it.

I agree. HR has 5 years left on their lease - enough time to essentially demo HBC and then move in

Really? I agree it is not the most interesting of facades but they usually do a pretty decent job with the windows.

Actually, I don't mind the Holts exterior, at least before they "pomo-individualized" the eastern half--a sort of retail version of 70s I.M. Pei abstraction...

This parking ramp is really big. Definitely room for two towers, or one giant tower.

6221403236_987080d795_z.jpg

I was told that the garage is closing beginning 2012.

A 56 and 46 story towers are plan for the site.

That garage was used for many photo shots of various projects in the area.

Now for the next one, 2 blocks west.

Back