urbandreamer

recession proof
Member Bio
Reaction score
5200 YONGE STREET

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=2601557

Date Received Apr 27, 2010

Official Plan Amendment application to permit a 37-storey residential tower including a 2-storey base building with retail uses along the Yonge Street frontage (1st and 2nd floor) and suite of social facilities/community uses located within the base building, including childcare centre space and community based retail market. The site is currently designated "Mixed Use Area B" in the North York Centre Secondary Plan which permits a maximum 50% residential uses.

Site of Century 21 offices (old Mcdonalds iirc)

CENTURY 21 New Concept Ltd.,
5200 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2N 5P6

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible, yet another condo building. This area needs one more large office building bit instead we get more condos.

There's so much room for development in NYCC, that when the need for more office space arises, there'll still be plenty of room to put in a tower. Otherwise, just keep filling it up with buildings.

yes there's lots of sites for development in NYCC, but I don't agree an office tower can just be built whereever whenever, office sites have to be on premimum locations (for exposure) with good access (vehicular and public transit) in order to be successful, whereas residential towers can act as fillers and can be located whereever ... that is the reason sites like Gibson Square should have stayed office/employment, which is really too bad the City loss that battle @ the OMB (but at least they tried)

Some of the most prime spots like the Gibson square location are wasted on condos. By the looks of things it doesn't seem NYCC will get mig more offices without sone financial incentives from the city.

nice to finally see the whole block from Ellerslie to Park Home redeveloped ... with Gibson Square at the bottom, this project in the middle, and Centrium anchoring the north end of the block ~

Looking forward to seeing Wallman bring his usual brand of classy, modern, sophisticated design to the burbs - lord knows they desperately need it.

TDRP supported this proposal, suggesting a few refinements.

51825218yongestwallman2.jpg

That looks great, very classic Wallman. Will easily be the NYCC's best looking condo building, along with Dia. Also another critical step in the urban evolution of this strip.

Last edited:
is this bldg going to be connected to the subway? if im not mistaken, this is right at north york centre station which has connctions to the movie theatre, subway etc?

nice to finally see the whole block from Ellerslie to Park Home redeveloped ... with Gibson Square at the bottom, this project in the middle, and Centrium anchoring the north end of the block ~

Also The owners of the two white apartment buildings behind (Willow Park Developments) are planning a condo on the surplus lands of the site. I can't recall the height but I beleive it was 17 storeys.

How far up and down the block will it be going? Does it include the Asian Legend building? This project sounds good to me. The rendering suggests that the building might have some visual interest, which is nice, and the block it's on is one of the most unimpressive in the area. I'm all for encouraging office development, but I think that's more suited to sites immediately adjacent to the subway and this is too far north of NYC station. Yonge and Sheppard is the most obvious spot, and the Gibson House and DeBoer's lands would also be suitable.

This is a good project and I hope to see it rising soon.

Back