News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

This is a great idea for a thread. Queen West is as vibrant and interesting today as it ever was.

I ♥ Queen Street West!

This is a great idea for a thread. Queen West is as vibrant and interesting today as it ever was.

I ♥ Queen Street West!

Thanks for that junctionist. I got together as many Queen west photos as I could and walked from Yonge to Roncesvalles. Every couple of blocks were different from the last and all had some interest in their own way. Just wish I had a few more photo's to work with.

As a resident of Queen West and a semi-retired shutterbug, I also want to throw in my thanks for this thread. :)

Good work.

As a resident of Queen West and a semi-retired shutterbug, I also want to throw in my thanks for this thread. :)

Good work.

It was a nice day for a walk Cbab. Thanks for the encouragement. Tomorrow's adventure--The Danforth.

I have to say...looking at all of the "before" pics....I'm pining for the lost older style neon signage on framework and the stylized font on (what I think is ...correct me if I'm wrong) bakelite background....I wish we still had more of that left. It is sad to think that the signage from 80 to 100 years ago had more "class" shall I say and was more interesting than the backlit plastic front crap I see everywhere today (soooo cheap!)

Great pics! I never knew the Gladstone used to have a spire..

A lot of heritage buildings in Toronto had spires and much more interesting rooflines when they were built. Sadly, these features (especially cornices and spires) have often been stripped by owners to save on maintenance. The result is a collection of architecture overall that may appear blander. Features like spires and decorative balustrades along roofs should be restored. The Gladstone's exterior architecture has been well restored, except for the tower. One would like it to be a starting point for Victorian tower restoration as well. Apparently, the Zeidler family wanted to do so, but the city was obstructionist on zoning grounds.

A lot of heritage buildings in Toronto had spires and much more interesting rooflines when they were built. Sadly, these features (especially cornices and spires) have often been stripped by owners to save on maintenance. The result is a collection of architecture overall that may appear blander. Features like spires and decorative balustrades along roofs should be restored. The Gladstone's exterior architecture has been well restored, except for the tower. One would like it to be a starting point for Victorian tower restoration as well. Apparently, the Zeidler family wanted to do so, but the city was obstructionist on zoning grounds.

That corner suite under where the spire was has two floors, it's the only room like that in the Gladstone. A rather narrow set of stairs takes you up to second floor - a plainly but smartly decorated bedroom.

Great pics. I wonder what the people would have said back then if there was a store that was selling 'pipes, bongs, vaporizers, etc'....haha.

Queen and Simcoe
southsidequeenandsimcoe.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

Could the spot west of CIBC be the longest-surviving vacant lot in downtown Toronto? Has anything ever been built on it?

Last edited:
Could the spot west of CIBC be the longest-surviving vacant lot in downtown Toronto? Has anything ever been built on it?

Gold mine for CityPark. Lots of tourist's and locals wonder up and down that part of town. I have parked there myself.

In the "before" photo, the party wall with the Coleman billboard suggests that there may have been an extended terrace here--perhaps demolished for the C(I)BC and its lot...

Interesting to note the water tower. Are there any still around in the city?

Back