It does seem rather odd to cover up half the windows like that with basically useless glass. As for the cleaning, again, good point. What a pain that'll be!

It looks like a glass feature, perhaps extending from where balconies exist. If you look at the suite below where the frosted glass is it looks like the bracing is in place for the same treatment. How it will be cleaned is the question of the day. One of the renderings seem to suggest this frosted wraparound glass

ice_rendering-Jan2009.jpg

I think it's quite ingenious, the wraparound frosted glass. It will allow light to permeate the apartment and keep standing views, while easing the fear of being "so close to the edge" that floor to ceiling glass can give.

The question of cleaning is a good one, though.

Thanks for the update caltrane!! The west tower is really flying along. im guessing the east tower will follow suit with the repetitive floorplates. Loving the cladding so far and the balconies are much less obnoxious than what i was expecting. Its going to be quite the sight once ICE is completed and the york/bremner intersection is fully developed. Rome sure wasnt built in a day but southcore is a different story

we still have to wait for the Ice office tower to start, but once it does, this will be a completed section of the city that popped up in a mear 10 years.

I didn't expect to see the downtown reach without interruption to the lake within my lifetime. With the arrival of the ICE office tower, and 10 York, every lot on York Street will be fully built out from the former core right to the edge of the water.

We are approaching, now, a city core that is no longer cut off from the lake by the Gardiner, etc., but starts right at the lake edge and moves back and outwards from there. That's really something.

The same area in 1984:

harbourfront1984bsm.jpg

harbour1984sm.jpg

Quite quickly now, we're moving from "a city cut off from the lake" to "a city that starts at the lake".

Last edited:
Perhaps the frosted glass treatment will allow for french style balconies in some units?

Perhaps the frosted glass treatment will allow for french style balconies in some units?

Juliet balconies? Yes, you can clearly see that from the photos above (sliding doors directly behind the frosted glass) and from the discussion above.

does anyone have a more recent photo of the same location? it would be great to see the incredible contrast...

I was thinking the same thing! It's difficult though given that they are taken from a plane or helicopter.

CN, I really like your statement: we're moving from "a city cut off from the lake" to "a city that starts at the lake". Once the central area of Queen's Quay is complete in the next couple of years (barring any further delays) your statement is really going to be true and I think that's how we should think of the city, a city that starts at the lake.

does anyone have a more recent photo of the same location? it would be great to see the incredible contrast...

It's a rendering, but here's a similar view with the majority of the building's actually built. One's still missing from that one are 90 Harbour and 88 Scott:

10york.jpg

Traynor?

Compare with:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back