AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow the entertainment district is going insane...the question is will this have to wait for next cycle or not

I am for all more density. One thing that confuses me is why developers often look to build highrises on lands where there is already a building, instead of developing the remaining empty lot in similar locations? as you can see from the map, there is a parking lot right on the other side of the small street.

welcome to the forum figaro. if you are referring to the parking lots on the south side of adelaide between widmer and john, those are both currently being developed. If you are talking about the tiny parking lot across the street, then im not too sure because i am unfamiliar with it.

because the parking lot isn't for sale. and a 40 story tower on a one way single lane street? really?

I am only giving an example. I think there have been many such cases where developer try to convert a midrise to a highrise one, when there are many empty ones everywhere in the city.
Yes, whether the lot is available for sale is another matter.

For example, on my way to St Lawrence Market, I can't help noticing there are 6 or 7 good sized parking lots between Victoria st and Church street south of Richmond. Nobody plans to develop them? yet they want to do something like INDX in an already very crowded intersection.

I think I'd rather have that quaint row of hostels than a condo here.

Hopefully one of two things happens
1) Proposal gets shot down
2) MOD developments

I like those quaint homes on such a tiny, short street. Does everything have to be a high-rise?

I am only giving an example. I think there have been many such cases where developer try to convert a midrise to a highrise one, when there are many empty ones everywhere in the city.
Yes, whether the lot is available for sale is another matter.

For example, on my way to St Lawrence Market, I can't help noticing there are 6 or 7 good sized parking lots between Victoria st and Church street south of Richmond. Nobody plans to develop them? yet they want to do something like INDX in an already very crowded intersection.

A high percentage of developments have including developing surface parking. It's unrealistic with the amount of construction to expect only surface lots to be developed. Also, the lack of a recent development proposal or sales office doesn't mean these lots won't disappear in the near future. The ownership is simply not in a position to develop at this time or perhaps seeking a longer term commercial development over flipping residential .

Most of those lots between Church & Victoria are in varying stages of development. A couple have already submitting development proposals to the city and one project on Colborne is even in sales.

not sure what you mean by 2) MOD developments. are you taking a shot at MOD?

He's saying that if it doesn't get shot down, that the only other way to save the situation would be for MOD Developments to take it on.

I am for all more density. One thing that confuses me is why developers often look to build highrises on lands where there is already a building, instead of developing the remaining empty lot in similar locations? as you can see from the map, there is a parking lot right on the other side of the small street.

That parking lot was purchased by Great Lands Corporation, another developer. No proposal has been submitted yet but likely for the next building cycle.

A
Most of those lots between Church & Victoria are in varying stages of development. A couple have already submitting development proposals to the city and one project on Colborne is even in sales.

That's good news.
I also think something commercial does more good than condos after condos, especially at that area so close to Yonge St.

Back