News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From the Globe this morning:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...et-clearly-in-correction-mode/article7353938/
Housing cools
Canada's housing market continues to cool markedly, with sales plunging 17.4 per cent in December from a year earlier. Prices, however, still held up, with a gain of 1.6 per cent from December, 2011.

Video: Condos responsible for lower home price averages: survey

On a month-over-month basis, sales were little changed from November, the Canadian Real Estate Association said today. New listings slipped 1.3 per cent from November as home sellers pulled back.

For 2012 as a whole, sales of 452,372 slipped 1.1 per cent from a year earlier, and were 1.4 per cent below a 10-year average to 2011.

Sales in December fell in four of every five housing markets measured, the real estate group said, with Calgary the standout exception.

Canada’s housing market can best be plotted on two timelines: pre-Flaherty and post-Flaherty. And for many, the post-Flaherty era is a good thing.

Sales have slipped since Canada's Finance Minister Jim Flaherty brought in new mortgage restrictions in July in an attempt to engineer the slowdown we're now seeing, and most observers expect a soft landing, not a crash.

“National sales activity continues to hold fairly steady at lower levels since mortgage rules were changed earlier in 2012, but there are still some real differences in trends between and within local housing markets,” said CREA president Wayne Moen.

The Toronto area saw the biggest drop in New listings, the group said, but they also slumped in fully half of all markets, including, and as expected, the Vancouver area, the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island.

Vancouver, in particular, has taken it on the chin, and observers believe it is the one market to have gone beyond a soft landing.

“The decline in new supply may reflect purchase offers below asking price that are made to sellers who are under no pressure to sell. Instead they choose to take their homes off the market once their listing expires,” said CREA's chief economist, Gregory Klump. “In the absence of economic stresses like a spike in interest rates or a sharp drop in employment, this dynamic can be expected to keep the housing market in balance.“

Home sales are expected to continue at a lower level, as is construction of new homes.

The average price in Canada still climbed to $352,800 in December. If you take out Vancouver and Toronto, CREA said, the national average would be 3.3 per cent.

"Canada’s housing market is clearly in correction mode as we had been warning would occur well before the figures began to roll over," Derek Holt and Dov Zigler of Bank of Nova Scotia said before the CREA report.

As for inventory, the supply of unsold homes would take almost 7 months to deplete, but that hasn't changed much since late 2010, said senior economist Sonya Gulati of Toronto-Dominion Bank.

Ms. Gulati expects the market will stabilize now over the next few months, and that the impact of Mr. Flaherty's changes are now priced in.

"When looking at previous mortgage rule tightening episodes, the housing market impacts have been temporary in nature," she said. "There is no reason to think that this time will be any different."

Both the sales-to-listings ration and the timeline for unsold inventory are within a normal range, she added, though at some point prices will slip.[/U]

"When we compare prices to other standard metrics like price-to-income, we still believe that prices have deviated from underlying economic fundamentals. With this in mind, house prices will likely resume their trek downwards once higher interest rates come into effect in the fourth quarter of 2013."

The housing market is hanging on by a thread in Toronto. My guess is there will be downward pricing commencing this spring as I suspect despite Spring being the busiest market there will not be the usual price increases around the month of May we have been seeing. There may be some price increase but not to the degree and then by summer as people see that May did not increase as much as before, the downward pressure will start.

I do agree that barring a marked economic downturn, a relatively large increase in interest rates (greater than the 1/2% that RBC says may happen this year or other banks are predicting will happen only in 2014 or later), that prices will drift down but not drastically fall as most people barring job loss, situational change, will not be forced to move and will elect to stay put. This is especially true if they stop and calculate the soft costs with moving (R/E commission, moving costs, LTT, etc.)

The housing market is hanging on by a thread in Toronto. My guess is there will be downward pricing commencing this spring as I suspect despite Spring being the busiest market there will not be the usual price increases around the month of May we have been seeing. There may be some price increase but not to the degree and then by summer as people see that May did not increase as much as before, the downward pressure will start.

I do agree that barring a marked economic downturn, a relatively large increase in interest rates (greater than the 1/2% that RBC says may happen this year or other banks are predicting will happen only in 2014 or later), that prices will drift down but not drastically fall as most people barring job loss, situational change, will not be forced to move and will elect to stay put. This is especially true if they stop and calculate the soft costs with moving (R/E commission, moving costs, LTT, etc.)

I'm going to go with a eye-opening 7% decrease for the TREB YOY April 2013 avg price. (ahem, and the timing of my RE predictions have never been wrong;) )

GTA REALTORS® Release Mid-Month Resale Housing Figures

January 16, 2013 -- Greater Toronto REALTORS® reported 1,469 sales through the TorontoMLS system during the first two weeks of January 2013. This result represented an increase of 2.4 per cent over the 1,435 transactions reported during the same period in 2012.

"The New Year started off on a positive note with residential sales slightly above last year’s levels,†said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Ann Hannah. “I am cautiously optimistic about this result. It will be important to watch sales trends closely as we move through the first quarter to see if some of the households who moved to the sidelines as a result of stricter lending guidelines are starting to renew their decision to purchase a home.â€

The average selling price during the first 14 days of 2013 was by up by four per cent on a year-over-year basis to $459,728.

“Continuing the trend from 2012, the low-rise segment of the market experienced the strongest price growth as competition between buyers remained quite strong,†said Jason Mercer, TREB’s Senior Manager of Market Analysis. “The average selling price is expected to grow in 2013, but at a slower pace as buyers benefit from more choice.â€

City of Toronto $464,228 up +0.35% y/y

City of Toronto condos $337,624 down -4.4% y/y. Sales down -4.2%

GTA REALTORS® Release Mid-Month Resale Housing Figures

January 16, 2013 --
City of Toronto $464,228 up +0.35% y/y

City of Toronto condos $337,624 down -4.4% y/y. Sales down -4.2%

I would like to know size of condos sold since this will dictate price (Price/sq.ft. on average). Also Median figures.
We know the high end slowed down markedly so the average would be expected to be lower and this may in fact not represent a drop at all.

I am not cheerleading....just saying....

I would like to know size of condos sold since this will dictate price (Price/sq.ft. on average). Also Median figures.
We know the high end slowed down markedly so the average would be expected to be lower and this may in fact not represent a drop at all.

I am not cheerleading....just saying....

tough to say b/c older products don't cost as much on $/sqft basis but their units are larger, while newer (within last 5-10 years) glass and aluminum window-wall condos are getting higher $/sqft but smaller sizes.

Quite a good start, considering last January was good for both the condo and single family home segment. I think we should see the same condo numbers all the way until June, then sale/price increases in the second half.

I am working with a buyer who is looking in Woodbridge right now, and have been quite surprised at how many places have sold. 905 is red hot so far. Before I jump to conclusions lets see what the next 6 weeks bring, but signs are pointing in the right direction.

Last edited:
This year will shock the media and their followers as the market will prove quite strong (5%-7% avg price increase). Housing markets globally are now perking up, with the help from another huge blast of money printing ($3 trillion globally this year alone) and continued low interest rates. Last year’s mortgage rules change in Canada caused buyers to pause (thus lower sales), but have now left pent-up demand which will be satisfied likely this Spring/Summer. If you’re still waiting for that 20% price crash, you’ll be bitterly disappointed. I guess there’s always the great crash of 2014 to hope for…

Interesting article in the Globe and Mail. 2 bank economists were quoted. One saying that prices should drop by the summer because first sellers hold out and then with decreased sales eventually there is a crack and prices follow. The other said he does not expect a drop but just a pause due to the adjustment Johnzz eluded to and historically each of the last tightenings has resulted in a couple of quarters to adjust followed up by resumption of demand.

I personally feel Johnzz your 5-7% increase (at least related to Toronto downtown condo market) is unlikely. I personally would be happy if prices just held or fluctuated up or down 2-4% (more likely down in my view on new though not so much on resale). I do believe that the gap between resale and new will close to within $50-75 premiums vs. the $100-150 premiums now present.

So much for my Crystal Ball gazing....it is remarkable how cloudy my "crystal ball" is though.

I predict this slowdown is going to be long and drawn out. In the first half of January, I've seen properties in the 416 still selling for over asking! If the buyers are going to continue the buying frenzy, sellers are going to keep supporting it. February is usually the time most realtors recommend sellers start listing their properties. We'll see in the upcoming weeks if the inventory picks up.

Lots of buyers out there. I expect a robust spring when they realize the sky aint falling and the US economy and stock market is in full recovery mode. No crash in 2013.

Here's my real estate investment advice for 2013. If you are looking to purchase (resale or pre-construction); make sure you purchase in an area or project that has direct or very close access to transit (subway). These properties will outperform over the next 5-10 yrs when real gridlock hits the GTA and the demand for a carfree lifestyle takes off. Places like the Etobicoke waterfront will provide below average returns because of poor transit. There will be lots of talk and feasibility studies but no action to address this. If it is not built (transit) already they wont come.....

Anecdotally, I agree with that .... my mother bought in a development many years ago because of promised transit. That transit has never materialized. I am now trying to sell her house and the lack of transit is an issue because while the development itself is nice, it's somewhat isolated and requires a vehicle to get anywhere.

Anecdotally, I agree with that .... my mother bought in a development many years ago because of promised transit. That transit has never materialized. I am now trying to sell her house and the lack of transit is an issue because while the development itself is nice, it's somewhat isolated and requires a vehicle to get anywhere.

Not sure I agree. If as many jobs are being created in the 905 area as 416 and people are commuting the other way (from TO to 905) just as much as from 905 to 416, people will accept cars who live in 905. It is just the reality of what has been built to date. While in the future there may be more city centers like Markham trying to produce one, the majority of 905 will appeal to people who have families and want a house and can't afford it in Toronto or they just work in the suburbs and prefer to be there.....believe it or not....not everyone wants to be in the City or the downtown Core for that matter.

In the city of Toronto however, I would agree that development near transit is a benefit.

I would be curious Pink Lucy, in what neighbourhood was your mother's house.

I expect a robust spring when they realize the sky aint falling and the US economy and stock market is in full recovery mode.

I guess you're assuming that the Republicans (especially those in the US House Of Representatives, which they control) will vote to raise the debt ceiling (which allocates money to pay bills already incurred) even though they have vowed to vote against doing so unless they get massive spending cuts to government social programs. The volatility will increase as we come upon late-February to early-March when that situation will come to a head. That means that the market won't have any potential time to relax a bit and exhale until after that debacle passes - and that's assuming that all parties involved agree on a plan in due time and effectively govern (highly unlikely considering the tactics used since Obama became President).

Back