AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Let the speculation begin...QQE has definitely become hot topic.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/04/11/with_its_clubs_disappearing_where_will_toronto_dance.html

With clubs disappearing, where will Toronto dance?

By: Shawn Micallef Living Columnist, Published on Thu Apr 11 2013

Stand on the corner of Richmond and Peter Streets, the former epicenter of Clubland. Once there were clubs on all four corners, now there are none. Other big club spaces around town are giving way to residences. The huge Guvernment (formerly RPM) site at Queens Quay and Jarvis was recently sold to a developer and Fly, the last remaining big gay club in the Gaybourhood, may be going condo soon too. Do we need to start worrying about where people can dance to loud music?

Last edited:
It's Daniels, and they'd like to put their head offices here in addition to condos.

Last edited:
Just a fanciful thought-to-self, but this would have been an incredible spot to showcase a BIG design. Being by the water and gateway-ing one of the city's rising districts. Or at least get Koolhaas to design a high-rise replacement of the Koolhaus.

Haha, maybe in a different time and place...

Last edited:
AlbertC:

Funny you should mention both in the same vein - that's what Miami is doing with their landlocked convention centre.

Personally, I am still waiting for our own Zaha Hadid, MVRDV and Renzo Piano.

AoD

Redeveloping this into something nice could do way more to jumpstart EB than the new ones east of Sherbourne. The big question for anyone living there I guess would be seeing Redpath every day. Could be kinda cool if you're on a high floor I suppose

I'm generally saddened by how downtown is becoming purged of nightclubs, but I'm pretty happy to see the Guvernment go. This will mean far fewer cigarette butts and empty liquor bottles in Sugar Beach.

I'm generally saddened by how downtown is becoming purged of nightclubs, but I'm pretty happy to see the Guvernment go. This will mean far fewer cigarette butts and empty liquor bottles in Sugar Beach.

True. And the Guvernment is pretty rubbish anyway. But we'll likely need another mid-size concert venue to replace it. I can't think of anything other than the Phoenix that's performing a similar function.

Last edited:
Hopefully Daniels brings a good amenity to the neighbourhood in the process. Especially since they will be the reason for the demise of one of the cities greatest music venues.

Last edited:
I can sympathize with the complaints about littering in the area, but just because you don't like or identify with a particular music scene doesn't mean it's "garbage". We should encourage a variety of venues of this sort, or as noted we will become quite boring.

Back