Great news !

Any ideas on roughly how much retail / office we are talking about ?

Also what about the city owned plot next to the park ?

40k sq.ft of commercial office space on the second floor, and various sizes of retail for the ground floor. There is one large retail unit (looked like it could be subdivided into 3 medium sized units), a few medium sized units, and then a couple of small units.

Adam Vaughan mentioned that it looks impossible to build residential on that site now (Block 31), so the schools/community centre will be moving forward soon on their own.

40k sq.ft of commercial office space on the second floor, and various sizes of retail for the ground floor. There is one large retail unit (looked like it could be subdivided into 3 medium sized units), a few medium sized units, and then a couple of small units.

Adam Vaughan mentioned that it looks impossible to build residential on that site now (Block 31), so the schools/community centre will be moving forward soon on their own.

Ah, impossible why ? I was hoping for retail on that site as well !

40K of commercial isn't so great, I was hoping for 150/200K like MLS ... you'll only get legitimate tenants that way, ones who would locate in this sort of development. So to me that tells me it'll be suited toward small offices (i.e. doctors / lawyers / ...) which isn't terrible.

What's with all the twin tower projects.
70 storeys seems so weak on a site that coud easily reach the sky.

Come on, is the market not saturated enough as is? I don't necessarily want this rushed but going so big on this project that it takes forever to complete, just so we can have a big, shiny pointy thing? Cityplace has been under construction forever, it's time for the damn thing to be finished so we can start trying to build a community and neighbourhood out of this development.

While I agree that there are a few more unfinished development blocks to complete, as far as I'm concerned CityPlace already is a community and neighbourhood...and only getting better.

The buildings themselves are nothing special, however they will act as a giant canvas for a major public art project that will use the entire height of the building, the mechanical floors midway up both towers, as well as the roof feature. It will be one hell of a colourful project.

Is the public art thing just going to be a string of LED lights? If so, colour me unimpressed.

I have always been so excited for the signature tower/s to go up. They will complete the neighbourhood. By the looks of things, they won't be ready until 2020 though. Oh well, I really like the idea of the lights and public art feature. These towers will be very prominent in our skyline, especially when looking from the island. They will stick out like a sore thumb so some awesome LED lighting and colour will look fantastic. I would love to see a drawing of what Concord is thinking for these towers. So at 66 and 70 stories, depending on the roof feature, I am guessing heights of 730ft (223m) and 780ft (237m) roughly. At least they will stand out in CityPlace. They have potential. It just sucks we have to wait 7 years until they are fully completed.

Just so I know, in those famous skyline pics taken of Toronto from the island where CityPlace is very visible, where exactly will these towers be built? Just so I can get an idea of how they will change the skyline. Are they near that one cool building with the connecting bridge?

This is a complete guess of what the skyline impact might be. Height, massing and location are approximate and most likely wrong, but it still helps to give an idea of what a couple 200-250m towers would look like in that location from the Island.

50UoWMW.jpg

For a better look at the original image, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacklandau/8718203743/

The buildings themselves are nothing special, however they will act as a giant canvas for a major public art project that will use the entire height of the building, the mechanical floors midway up both towers, as well as the roof feature. It will be one hell of a colourful project. Both buildings will share a lobby that will be accessed from Bremner for pedestrians, and from Blue Jays Way for vehicles. The lobby will be pretty transparent, allowing you to see through the entire block from Bremner through to Blue Jays Way.

It's quite different for Toronto, but not as adventurous as many were hoping in terms of the shape of the buildings. They will basically be a cross (+).

Why the change in the building design? That was the best part!

Still don't understand why AV says it looks impossible to build residential on Block-31:confused:

I think it might have to do with the profitability of the site. The tower is now capped at 22 stories. Im guessing they cant find a developer that wants to take the project on with that restriction in place.

Why the change in the building design? That was the best part!

There was no change. The building wasn't designed prior to this application.

I have always been so excited for the signature tower/s to go up. They will complete the neighbourhood. By the looks of things, they won't be ready until 2020 though. Oh well, I really like the idea of the lights and public art feature. These towers will be very prominent in our skyline, especially when looking from the island. They will stick out like a sore thumb so some awesome LED lighting and colour will look fantastic. I would love to see a drawing of what Concord is thinking for these towers. So at 66 and 70 stories, depending on the roof feature, I am guessing heights of 730ft (223m) and 780ft (237m) roughly. At least they will stand out in CityPlace. They have potential. It just sucks we have to wait 7 years until they are fully completed.

Just so I know, in those famous skyline pics taken of Toronto from the island where CityPlace is very visible, where exactly will these towers be built? Just so I can get an idea of how they will change the skyline. Are they near that one cool building with the connecting bridge?

Is the public art thing just going to be a string of LED lights? If so, colour me unimpressed.

The art work will not consist of LED lighting as it would cost too much for the condo board to maintain with all of the technical elements that would go into it. It will be actual art applied to the building. It hasn't been decided whether the artwork itself will be lit up yet, but the rooftop portion will be lit up at night. (Concord Adex did bring up the idea of lighting the entire thing up from top to bottom though)

As for the height of the building, it will definitely be taller than your average 70 storey building. In the renderings I saw, the roof feature looked like quite a few stories itself. It will be raised from the top of the building and surrounded by glass, so you can view the underside of the top slab, which is where the artwork will be located.

I tried sketching it on paint but it looked nothing like what I saw.

This is a complete guess of what the skyline impact might be. Height, massing and location are approximate and most likely wrong, but it still helps to give an idea of what a couple 200-250m towers would look like in that location from the Island.

Close, but the towers should be a little more to the left, almost right behind the tallest tower at HVE. (The one with purple lights) The shorter tower would be closer to where you put the tallest tower.

that would be great, but based on what Tuscani said, I doubt they look like that earlier render

Back