It's not the transparency of the glass that's the problem: I like the clear glazing of mechanical penthouses, like at most CityPlace buildings.

It's all about the lighting. At CityPlace they had artist Adrian Gollner design the nighttime effect with different colours for each project, and the lights and their positions are chosen carefully.

It seems that none of that has been though of here.

29 October 2013: I finally "get" the name: Fly as in fly porter to get me the hell away from here!
0pro.jpg

m9pe.jpg

4o03.jpg

v9eg.jpg

Front Street between University and Spadina has been one of the most poorly executed sections of any major street in the city. Unfortunately it is one of the most visible parts of the city to tourists. I would have thought that it deserved some special consideration and an overarching plan to achieve some sort of coherent vision for the street. As it has turned out, it is mostly a mishmash of poorly designed buildings which bear little relationship to one another (other than perhaps the row of City Place buildings on the south side which could still stand improvement), clad in cheap looking materials. I avoid this area whenever I am in the city and I think it's a bit of an embarrassment how it's turned out.

I'm inclined to agree. And I do hate to say it, but having for the first time lived in another city for a few years, I now have a comparison point and think there's quite a few areas of downtown Toronto that tourists must find sloppy. It's too bad. Hopefully that'll change.

Front Street between University and Spadina has been one of the most poorly executed sections of any major street in the city. Unfortunately it is one of the most visible parts of the city to tourists. I would have thought that it deserved some special consideration and an overarching plan to achieve some sort of coherent vision for the street. As it has turned out, it is mostly a mishmash of poorly designed buildings which bear little relationship to one another (other than perhaps the row of City Place buildings on the south side which could still stand improvement), clad in cheap looking materials. I avoid this area whenever I am in the city and I think it's a bit of an embarrassment how it's turned out.

+1

I agree. It's really strange and ridiculous that such a prominent and central downtown street as Front has been so badly designed. Perfunctory, incongruous architecture, suburban fast food chains, and—still, in this day and age—a giant parking lot west (and northwest) of Fly. I think that as this parking lot continues to be filled in to continue the street wall west toward Spadina, this part of Front will be much less aesthetically/architecturally offensive to passersby (assuming this isn't one of those eternal parking lots, like the one on the north side of Queen St. East, west of Jarvis).

If development for the sake of getting rid of the Front/Spadina parking lot means another Fly and/or Element, I'd prefer they lay a new asphalt surface.

Front Street between University and Spadina has been one of the most poorly executed sections of any major street in the city. Unfortunately it is one of the most visible parts of the city to tourists.

Are they not revitalizing the Front Street sidewalks and street poles for the Pan Am Games?

If development for the sake of getting rid of the Front/Spadina parking lot means another Fly and/or Element, I'd prefer they lay a new asphalt surface.

cold but I agree....all that land be perfect for a park but of course thats only a dream.

Back