If the bottom retail space is large enough, they will probably stick a Target or Walmart there.

I don't have much faith in Ryerson. I won't be surprised if this turns out looking nothing like the rendering. Remember how the Ted Rogers building turned out?

Gross!
TorDb.0.jpeg

If the bottom retail space is large enough, they will probably stick a Target or Walmart there.

It's not even close to big enough.

I don't have much faith in Ryerson. I won't be surprised if this turns out looking nothing like the rendering. Remember how the Ted Rogers building turned out?

Gross!

I can't recall... did the renderings for that building promise something superior to what we got?

Seven panels up yesterday. Gonna have to wait for a larger chunk to be up before drawing conclusions on it.

5x1v8zv.jpg

Seven panels up yesterday. Gonna have to wait for a larger chunk to be up before drawing conclusions on it.

I don't think we are going to be disappointed based on these test panels - and this project can't possibly be compared to TRS - the architectural expectations had always been low on that one.

gabe:

The space is small - definitely no Target or Walmart. Even an Apple Store might be pushing it.

AoD

Gross!

Um, the Ted Rogers School of Management turned out EXACTLY how it looked in renderings. So what's your point??

http://www.ryecast.ryerson.ca/dmpstreams/busbldg2006/index.html

Not to mention that it was built about 10 years ago.m If you are going to compare this to anything, the Image Arts building would be more appropriate, as it is the most recent building... and hey, it too looks identical to the renderings!

Last edited:
It looks good ! But the glass it self doesn't really scream high quality .. I don't think it is, but the patterning stands out a lot more and will be the prominment feature.

TRSM is just as bad inside, it just seems cheap in every way.

When buildings like Ted Rogers and Toronto Life Square go up, the only solace is convincing oneself that they're just 15-20 year place holders till proper buildings can be put in their place. Even if the intent was for these structures to be permanent, I can't see either remaining as they are for more than a generation. They were both atrocious when they were proposed, atrocious when they opened, and will need to be overhauled at some point. That they're new is unfortunate.

This new Ryerson building looks more promising, but I'm preparing myself for the worst. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's actually beautiful.

Last edited:
I really like the patterns on the glass, but right now it doesn't appear to have any cohesion. I picture it like a big puzzle where all of the pieces fit with every other piece. It might all be together, but the picture makes no sense because the lines don't connect across pieces. You can really see the problem between the second and third panes from the left. Hopefully this is corrected because it will ruin the building for me if it goes ahead as is. Though to be honest I'm not exactly holding out hope based on their stupidity with painting Gould street this year.

I love how people keep referring to Ryerson as if they, as a university, are the architects for this project. They are the client/developer of the project, yes, but the frit pattern and materiality, etc., is the work of Snohetta. The project is in good hands. They've had to make choices about where to keep costs down and where to spend the big bucks, and I think Snohetta has used good judgment in that regard.

There only ever was one pattern, I was mistaken. The mock-up looks like it has two different patterns because the two different frit patterns are in fact just different parts of the same motif. You can see a bit of both in the glazing in the images above.

It's easy to be cynical given so many crappy projects and disappointments that have gone up lately but I'm optimistic about this project. I am a little concerned about it's size after I past it last week, perhaps I was just taken aback as I didn't expect it to be so tall and intimidating but I keep an open mind. It seems I'm one of the few who is a fan of the Ted Rogers building (save for the name), though admittedly I wasn't at first.

Ryerson cannot be judged because of the Ted Rogers building, which I think is still a nice change from the norm:

Ted_Rogers_School_of_Management.JPG

The Ryerson Image Centre has been a beautiful addition to the city, with great public amenities too!:

ryerson_image_centre_d270912_7.jpg

[video=vimeo;74947526]http://vimeo.com/74947526[/video]

Attachments

• ryerson_image_centre_d270912_7.jpg
    ryerson_image_centre_d270912_7.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,327

Back