Its because the majority of Torontians rarely set foot on a sidewalk other than to walk their dog. Ever since amalgamation, Toronto has been a city ruled by the suburbs, where a pothole on a road needs to be fixed in a day or two but a sidewalk can be completely ripped out for years on end.

"Urbantoronto: where people get apoplectic about the use of pavers"

I like aesthetic issues - I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't - but so much of what drives people nuts on this forum is whether or not the public realm is gussied up with fancy-shmancy stuff like granite sidewalks. Which to me doesn't seem like an appreciation of urbanism! Or, at least, of Jacobean urbanism. It seems to me to be only an appreciation of a certain, Rosedalian urbanism: as cities being fancy playgrounds where upper middle class people can play at being city dwellers. Like a slightly more sophisticated riff on Disneyland's Main Street.

That doesn't mean that I don't like fancy-schmancy granite sidewalks. They are fun to walk in! But they do give me the creeping feeling that These Streets Won't Soon Be For You: They Are For The Coming Rich. You know, the Rich riding the rising tide of housing prices - it's their granite red (grey?) carpet. The more we lay these pavers out, the more they will come. (Funny we don't mind grey when it's something you walk on)

How can anyone who has lived their entire life in this city have any other attitude? There are some small improvements here and there (Bloor St revitalization--but even that is spotty with the granite execution and utilitarian street lights, West Donlands, Front St, etc). When and why did this cheap, indifferent sentiment become so prevalent in Toronto's culture? We used to care very much about the image of the city, but now we're complacent with looking like a dump--and I'm not exaggerating--this city really does like like trash. Even the majority of our greatest pieces of architecture are in deplorable condition. I don't get it.

You're sadly right, and this is something I've really noticed in the last three years since moving to Boston. Boston is, for all its faults, a very nice city, very clean, very 'proper.' After coming back to Toronto a few times, I really, really noticed how my hometown sometimes just looks like a dog's breakfast. It's sad, because I used to revel in Toronto--and I still in some way do--and I used to encourage everyone to come here. Now I actually feel embarrassed and don't recommend it like I used to. It's too bad.

How can anyone who has lived their entire life in this city have any other attitude? There are some small improvements here and there (Bloor St revitalization--but even that is spotty with the granite execution and utilitarian street lights, West Donlands, Front St, etc). When and why did this cheap, indifferent sentiment become so prevalent in Toronto's culture? We used to care very much about the image of the city, but now we're complacent with looking like a dump--and I'm not exaggerating--this city really does like like trash. Even the majority of our greatest pieces of architecture are in deplorable condition. I don't get it.

I've done my part asking for improvements to the public realm in my ward by trying to get murals painted on underpasses, retaining walls, etc. and it has all been a large waste of time. There is no interest in such endeavours (my councillor can't even be bothered to respond to emails, personally); at least not in these parts. Downtown at least as a culture of citizens that actually care about the way their neighbourhoods look. Suburbanites, for the most part, don't really care what goes on beyond their own driveways. It is this sort of small-minded way of viewing things that prevails in this city's politics. It's infuriating to realize the potential Toronto has to be a beautiful looking city, and so little is ever done to bring that to fruition. Has anyone on this forum ever considered running for mayor, or at least, City Council? You seem to understand the city and its history better than most, and have meticulous attention to detail. That is exactly what is needed at city hall. I don't foresee a time when Toronto will have a true visionary as our mayor. People on this board have way more ambition and imagination than any of our city councillors. Anyway, I've gone way off topic.

Well said. When you build a city on the cheap, Toronto is what you end up with.

You're sadly right, and this is something I've really noticed in the last three years since moving to Boston. Boston is, for all its faults, a very nice city, very clean, very 'proper.' After coming back to Toronto a few times, I really, really noticed how my hometown sometimes just looks like a dog's breakfast. It's sad, because I used to revel in Toronto--and I still in some way do--and I used to encourage everyone to come here. Now I actually feel embarrassed and don't recommend it like I used to. It's too bad.

It's true. If you live all your life in this place, you might think here is not too bad. But once you actually step outside of here into other cities around the world, it's shocking how terrible and rundown most of this city looks.

I've done my part asking for improvements to the public realm in my ward by trying to get murals painted on underpasses, retaining walls, etc. and it has all been a large waste of time. There is no interest in such endeavours (my councillor can't even be bothered to respond to emails, personally); at least not in these parts. Downtown at least as a culture of citizens that actually care about the way their neighbourhoods look. Suburbanites, for the most part, don't really care what goes on beyond their own driveways. It is this sort of small-minded way of viewing things that prevails in this city's politics. It's infuriating to realize the potential Toronto has to be a beautiful looking city, and so little is ever done to bring that to fruition. Has anyone on this forum ever considered running for mayor, or at least, City Council? You seem to understand the city and its history better than most, and have meticulous attention to detail. That is exactly what is needed at city hall. I don't foresee a time when Toronto will have a true visionary as our mayor. People on this board have way more ambition and imagination than any of our city councillors. Anyway, I've gone way off topic.

Well since you asked... ;)

I'm a politics major currently who has zero interest in becoming a politician. I just don't like what being a politician entails and don't believe most in the profession have the societies interests that they are supposed to represent at heart. I don't like individuals, politicians or voters, who align themselves with political parties, ideologies or philosophies - it gets in the way of working together, remaining objective and achieving the goal of bettering society.

However, I have played around with the idea of being a Councillor in my head. It is the highest role (perhaps mayor) in politics that I would want to do and I believe the mindset I have explained above is an appropriate mindset for a good Councillor.

(I've strayed off-topic with you, though I think this is an interesting discussion.)

Well since you asked... ;)

I'm a politics major currently who has zero interest in becoming a politician. I just don't like what being a politician entails and don't believe most in the profession have the societies interests that they are supposed to represent at heart. I don't like individuals, politicians or voters, who align themselves with political parties, ideologies or philosophies - it gets in the way of working together, remaining objective and achieving the goal of bettering society.

However, I have played around with the idea of being a Councillor in my head. It is the highest role (perhaps mayor) in politics that I would want to do and I believe the mindset I have explained above is an appropriate mindset for a good Councillor.

(I've strayed off-topic with you, though I think this is an interesting discussion.)

Why are you studying politics if you don't have much respect for politicians, and don't want to get involved in that field of work? What about running for City Council or mayor as an independent? You don't have to align yourself to the left or right.

Last edited:

I couldn't see myself getting into politics. I, like many here I suspect, are more comfortable working behind the scenes. You have to have a particular mettle and inclination to get into the rough and tumble of city politics - it sure isn't my cup of tea. That said, there are other ways to attempt to positively influence the direction a city grows in, the shape it takes on, how well it prepares for its own future.

You mention how many suburbanites appear not to care what goes on beyond their own driveways. We have been suffering under a very cynical and divisive mayor whose main accomplishment (besides being a heedless buffoon and a man with tragic substance abuse issues) has been to use wedge politics to artificially heighten the difference between suburbanites and those living in the core, working to deliberately alienate each group from the other. It sure doesn't help matters much, does it? Not if you want people to see Toronto as a place we all share, rather than a disparate clutch of neighbourhoods and special interests that are in hostile competition with one another. I would also argue that city leaders tend to think in terms of four year increments and tend to direct the bulk of their energies toward doing well in the polls and getting re-elected; city-building is way down the list. Visionaries are a rare bird in politics: they do not come along very often. I will readily agree with you that we are badly in need of one.

Finally, I would like to state that this city's fate is nowhere near as dire as you would have us believe. Nor is its destiny as a so-called "world class" city assured. Somewhere in the middle of those two polarities is the truth. You might think Toronto looks like trash; I look around and see a much more complex and vital aggregate of qualities. I find plenty enough reasons to be annoyed, perhaps - but little reason to despair.

Why are you studying politics if you don't have much respect for politicians, and don't want to get involved in that field of work? What about running for City Council or mayor as an independent? You don't have to align yourself to the left or right.

You mistake my apolitical stance with apathy. I care a lot about politics and understand it very well; that's why I chose to study it. As Lenser said above, there are many jobs behind the scenes of politicians and a politics degree opens doors to other potential government and social-work professions. (Failing that, I hope my intended economics minor will suffice :p) I believe a very small percent of the people in my program desire to become politicians, most are looking to get into law school.

I think what I am trying to say is that if you hold public office, it is ideal for you to not allow your political beliefs or party policies to dictate your actions and behaviors. Josh Matlow, the Councillor of my riding for example, has identified himself in the past as a libertarian which is certainly contra from my center-left position on the political spectrum. Despite that, he has worked and cooperated with other Councillors of varying political backgrounds to accomplish much at city council all for the sake of bettering our city. If I found myself involved in politics, that is what I would chose to emulate.

Finally, I would like to state that this city's fate is nowhere near as dire as you would have us believe. Nor is its destiny as a so-called "world class" city assured. Somewhere in the middle of those two polarities is the truth. You might think Toronto looks like trash; I look around and see a much more complex and vital aggregate of qualities. I find plenty enough reasons to be annoyed, perhaps - but little reason to despair.

I can agree with this. You don't know how good we have it here in Toronto and in Canada until you live elsewhere. Having returned from living briefly abroad in Venezuela I've come to learn how much I love this city and it has only excited my passion to see it bettered. This is probably why in the past year I've found myself registered on here and regularly checking on exciting new developments like the West Don Lands.

One certainly doesn't have to be a politician to bring about positive change to the world. Politicians are primarily just looking for re-election. One just needs to have a dream, and an end-goal in mind, with hundreds or thousands of supporters with the same dream to create pressure for change. Complaining and writing to your Councillor an individual basis on a particular issue doesn't necessarily get noticed. But by creating a large group of people who have the same issue and passion for getting things changed does get noticed. It's really a lot easier than people think. They are just thinking too small.

Countless times I read on UT about people wanting nicer public realm and more animated parks with water features -- but, what do they do about it? Complain on an individual basis? Write to their Councillor as Joe public? Or do they seek actual change by creating an organization and internet campaign (not as difficult as you may think!) to put pressure for change?

A Mayor is not going to bring about change. It's always the people that change things. Think bigger and don't rely on others to start something and get the ball rolling. I'm not wrong about this.

Permit issued for restoration work on the Canary Restaurant building:

http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3482263

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 280462 BLD 00 BA
Issued Date: Jan 30, 2014
Project: Multiple Unit Building , Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal to repair existing windows, roof repair, and brick re-pointing on existing mixed use Heritage Building. PAN-AM Games.

A Mayor is not going to bring about change. It's always the people that change things. Think bigger and don't rely on others to start something and get the ball rolling. I'm not wrong about this.

Well said. I actually realized how great Toronto is after going to much of the rest of the world.

Thanks! I'm fairly worldly and travel quite a bit too, but I always love to come home to Toronto. I find I'm very sentimental about seeing the city after an extended absence and realizing that we have it really good here.

I don't think that a lot of the general public understands why there is so much going on at the exact same time and the whole city seems under construction. A large chunk is to make the City beautiful and functional for the Pan Am Games. Regardless of one's opinion's of the Games, most of us that live here will be benefiting from all of the projects and massive improvements. Yes, the city will be a mess this year and part of next, but by the summer of 2015 we will be ready to show it off to the world (and still be heck of a lot cheaper than hosting the Olympics!!).

I like aesthetic issues - I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't - but so much of what drives people nuts on this forum is whether or not the public realm is gussied up with fancy-shmancy stuff like granite sidewalks. Which to me doesn't seem like an appreciation of urbanism!

Attention to details and quality do matter. When you come from a city where they invest in the public realm and then go to one that doesn't, it can't help but bother you. For me, it's always the first thing I notice and it does reflect on how people perceive our city. Quality paving is not an extravagance like some make it out to be.

On the other hand, I can understand how someone brought up with concrete sidewalks doesn't see anything wrong with them.

Last edited:
We should just redo all our sidewalks with asphalt paving. That way whenever they need to be patched up, they'll look more uniform. Or maybe then they'd be patched with cement?

Back