Drum, I don't think there's a wire mesh in the glass. I am under the impression that it's a very fine frit on the surface which is causing the graininess of the reflection (and which gives the glass a milky look in the first place).

27 March 2014:
I love having zoom back!
g2UHL0N.jpg

sir you might be right but I noticed the wire or net thing in Urbandreamer's pics as well.

I wonder how they got those anchors to pass engineering. The serrated washers are going to be a huge pain. Just in drum's photos you can already see that they aren't engaged, and that's on a test installation where everything is being checked.

The plates embedded into the slab for the support bracket are most likely steel galvanize plates that are either 19cm 3/4" or 25cm 1" thick with anchors on then. They are place the the slab before the concrete is pour.

Since this is a mock up, what will happen after it is approved and the other section install, a cover plate could cover the exposed area or caulk being use for the slot in the plate to adjust the positioning of the post. Only this board will realized what is taking place as it will not been seen by the owners or from the street after the railing is install.

As for the wire mesh in the glazing, a refection was my fist though after posting the photo, but couldn't think of a building on the west side to match the refection. Will have to have a look to see what building it is the next time I am in the area.

The low-rises of the area look more out of place and awkward by the day. Hopefully, before too long, those few remaining near the intersection will give way to something nicer.

I would hope they'd give way to some sort of public space like a square or something. From the pics by Lnahid2000, this area seems like it could use a large tree or two. hopefully one bloor brings some decent sized trees.

The plates embedded into the slab for the support bracket are most likely steel galvanize plates that are either 19cm 3/4" or 25cm 1" thick with anchors on then. They are place the the slab before the concrete is pour.

Those aren't plates embedded into the slab, they're Halfen tracks that can engage a T-bolt. The aluminium anchors are getting bolted to the track, and they receive a post and frame to support the glass. The thing that surprises me is that it's a serrated washer on the T-bolt that's holding all of the vertical load. If the serrated washer isn't perfectly aligned with the serrations on the anchor the anchor will eventually slip to the top of the slot, and then you have a mechanism of failure as the t-bolt eventually works itself off through vibrations. And in the photos you can see the serrated washers aren't engaged.

It just seems unusual. A similar system is normally used to hold curtain wall frames in place, but in that case the anchors are embedded in pockets that are later backfilled with concrete, so that even if the serrated washer were to fail it wouldn't matter, since the anchor itself is lodged into the slab. They aren't going to embed those anchors in concrete (otherwise why seal the slab?), and a cover plate would hide the anchor but wouldn't add any structural support, so I'm curious to see what they're doing

As for the wire mesh in the glazing, a refection was my fist though after posting the photo, but couldn't think of a building on the west side to match the refection. Will have to have a look to see what building it is the next time I am in the area.

drum118 the reflection in your photo is from UpTown condos.

March 25
They were having problem with the frames that they removed 2 of them when I was shooting the site. Looks like there is a wire mesh in the glass panels unless there was something behind the panel when I shot it.
13425969294_ffd086e634_b.jpg

Actually, the building reflected here is Crystal Blew.

Definitely Crystal Blu.

The white glass balcony panels are back on, I saw them today while I was walking up Yonge St. I wonder why they took them off and put then back on?

^may be the size of frame or glass was slightly big or small so they put the exact size.

Back