And with that tone, you just proved your boneheaded ignorance re Toronto's modern heritage.

Then please enlighten me. Are you saying that anytime there are pre-existing structures the solution is a brick wrapper and a courtyard? I walk through that coutyard almost every day. But it has nothing to do with the M+G project. Nothing.

Not quite. The Americans still use it. 1000 feet will stand out in their books. You can go a long way if you appeal to Americans, as Montreal realized decades ago.

The Imperial System is dead. As verticalvillage mentions, even the Chicago-based CTBUH uses 300 metres to define a supertall. Anyone who doesn't is simply a dinosaur, and not to be taken seriously.

So in order to get approved this has to go to council and get how many votes, two thirds? Or 23?

Earlier today Josh Matlow said he will not support the new iteration of this project.

It would be very, very odd for it not to pass next month. It's being recommended by the Planning Department, so were the City to turn it down, they would find it hard to defend at the OMB. This shouldn't be a problem.

The Imperial System is dead. As verticalvillage mentions, even the Chicago-based CTBUH uses 300 metres to define a supertall. Anyone who doesn't is simply a dinosaur, and not to be taken seriously.

You may mock ordinary Americans, but they're a productive people who just completed WTC. It's 541 metres high, or 1776 feet to commemorate the year they created their nation. We use imperial seemingly at our discretion like in Britain, which is unsatisfactory. Everyone should use metric for everything, and I'll do everything to encourage it. Until they do, I want a number that will get universal attention immediately and not miss a generation or two of attention. It should hit 1000 feet without looking like we were aiming for 1000 feet not 300 metres--it should be 306 metres or more.

It would be very, very odd for it not to pass next month. It's being recommended by the Planning Department, so were the City to turn it down, they would find it hard to defend at the OMB. This shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for that i42! Great news. If any residents of Matlow's ward are inclined to tell him off for taking such a stance, it will be icing on the cake as M+G sails toward approval.

You may mock ordinary Americans, but they're a productive people who just completed WTC. It's 541 metres high, or 1776 feet to commemorate the year they created their nation. We use imperial seemingly at our discretion like in Britain, which is unsatisfactory. Everyone should use metric for everything, and I'll do everything to encourage it. Until they do, I want a number that will get universal attention immediately and not miss a generation or two of attention. It should hit 1000 feet without looking like we were aiming for 1000 feet not 300 metres--it should be 306 metres or more.

The building isn't really 1776 ft. It's a little taller thanks to a lighting rod. But rather then state the real height, this lie continues to be perpetuated to keep it at the symbolic 1776. My biggest pet peeve is there are only 80 real floors, instead of the advertised 108. You can't tell the difference during the day but at night, the fake floors look ridiculous. I hope M+G tops out at 299 meters rather than appease the supertall fans.

The second issue at 1WTC was the location from which the 1,776-foot measurement had been taken. The building has four entrances, one on each side. Three of those entrances are flush with the 9/11 Memorial Plaza, which is level with the base of the original World Trade Center towers. These three entrances lead directly into the elevator lobby, while a fourth entrance is 5 feet, 8 inches lower than the lobby, on Vesey Street, due to the change in grade from south to north. If measured from this point, the height to architectural top would have been 1,781 feet, 8 inches.

http://web.iit.edu/mediaroom/press-releases/2013/nov/12/ctbuh-affirms-one-world-trade-center-height

Good write up on the matter, where intent was allowed to trump reality.

What's important is just how significant the imperial measurement is to the American public that they would tinker to get the 1776 figure. All we have to do is put up 306 metres of concrete from sidewalk level to the sky and call it a day.

What's important is just how significant the imperial measurement is to the American public that they would tinker to get the 1776 figure. All we have to do is put up 306 metres of concrete from sidewalk level to the sky and call it a day.

Not all Americans are foolish like that. Unfortunately, most just gobble up whatever nonsense that's presented without fact checking.

Back