We are in a low-rise building, twelve storeys with window wall, and a taller component, of fifteen storeys with curtain wall. Our just completed Reserve Fund study, including consideration of the small amount of initial post-construction fall-out over the past few years, forecasts a window system lifespan, before complete refurbishment of the window and curtain wall components is needed, of 45 years.

This may not be typical of high rise towers, as my understanding is that building flex is one of the key contributors to window seal failure, however I suspect that the 10 - 20 years number is just someone's (perhaps) wild imagination.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-and-how-long-will-they-last/article19295959/

Yesterday:

P1410188.jpg

P1410189.jpg

Attachments

• P1410188.jpg
    P1410188.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,706
  • P1410189.jpg
    P1410189.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,675
Yesterday:

Hey interchange42, thanks for the pics and your continued activity on this forum. As a lurker I very much appreciate your contributions here. Thanks.

On the image you posted above.. I hope that horizontal line where the last floor ends and the top part meet is less noticible when completed.. looks a bit off right now.

Here's a detail from that shot, pixel for pixel. I believe that the horizontal join as well as the vertical one at the corner will be covered by a dark mullion cap, and I have sent off a note asking if that is true. As it currently looks in its unfinished state, those joins (or lack of them currently) certainly interrupts the flow.

P1410189.jpg

EDIT: and now I see that the email won't likely be replied to until mid-August as my contact is on vacation. We may have an answer appear on the skyline sooner than that! Who knows?!

Attachments

• P1410189.jpg
    P1410189.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,725
Last edited:
Yesterday:

best angle to look at the roofline imo. the design looks incredibly sharp from there and the the varying heights creates a cool concave-convex dynamic with the slopes and rounded floor plate. It's also incredible how low the penthouse is relative to final height of the structure. May just be the tallest mechanical roofline yet.

I think the north and south views are the most flattering. It looks a bit boring from the west and east since you can't see the outline of the setbacks. It just kind of looks like one big rectangle (with the exception of the roofline) from those vantage points.

Gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed with the angle of the roofline. I thought it would be steeper.

It looks like your photo is exaggerated horizontally and if not that its got to be the perspective from being that close to it because when ever I see it from a distance the angle of the roof line appears to be far steeper than that.

May just be the tallest mechanical roofline yet.

Hard to say, looks like the mech&architectural top adds about 7 floors of height to Aura. Still think either L and/or Trump have got it beat just barely.

Trump of course takes the cake in terms of difference between architectural height and roof height but even the difference between the penthouse & the top of the roof/onion dome just below where the spire starts is something like 80ft. And the mech&architectural feature on L is practically 8 floors;

The mech on the Ritz also adds a lot. The building is 688ft tall but from the penthouse you can barely see over the RBC center which is only 607ft.

The mech&architectural feature on the taller ICE building is huge too far taller than the 1st building, especially considering the "hat" is yet to come;

There's also a couple of buildings in Mississauga that have extended crowns but definitely not quite near as tall as the Toronto examples.

Back