And, when all is said and done, who's to say that elements of Stollery's can't be incorporated elsewhere...

Agree - keyword being "elements" and "elsewhere".

I would be too embarrassed to ask them to do it for fear they would quit on principal.

Indeed. And let's be honest with ourselves, we aren't dealing with the Hearst castle here.

AoD

Last edited:
Agree - keyword being "elements" and "elsewhere".

And let's be honest with ourselves, we aren't dealing with the Hearst castle here.

AoD

I actually like the Stollery building, with all its imperfections. It has character. I just don't think it should stop progress here... would love to see it moved as infill along a more low rise streetscape. Reduce, reuse, recyle.

I actually like the Stollery building, with all its imperfections. It has character. I just don't think it should stop progress here... would love to see it moved as infill along a more low rise streetscape. Reduce, reuse, recyle.

I thought it is rather unfortunate aesthetically speaking. If one must preserve it, I thought it'd be better off used as a series of friezes internally in say a double height lobby.

AoD

I'm not particularly fond of the Stollery's building and would prefer it to be replaced by something that hopefully will be so much better if the reputation of the architect proves true. And in terms of demolition, I would prefer to know what is going up and when it will start rather than looking at an empty lot possibly surrounded by hoarding for years.

I think the most significant part of the Stollery's facade has to be the 4th level billboards. I really hope Foster incorporates those into the design of the new tower!

stollerys.jpg

Attachments

• stollerys.jpg
    stollerys.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,153
I see value in giving the Stollery's storefront consideration for what remains of its facade and any other bits eventhough I don't think it's worthy of a designation. The last two posts clearly don't share that sentiment.

I see value in giving the Stollery's storefront consideration for what remains of its facade and any other bits eventhough I don't think it's worthy of a designation.

I see only comedic value.
Stollery's was a modest structure for its time, it barely stood out when it was built. To imagine any part of it being retained in a $billion 80-100 story building is amusing - in fact tourist worthy!

Would Apple be interested in having it as the entrance to their store?

Would any retailer?

Is it public knowledge which buildings form the land assembly for this project?

I'd be curious to know as I definitely think there are a few buildings worth preserving on this stretch of yonge -- Stollery's not being one of them.

My earlier joking aside, I actually have always liked the Stollery building. It has character and charm and is unique.

But is it heritage & should it be preserved? No and no.

The building is charming for what it is, but it is a Frankenstein's monster of a building out of scale and lost in its surroundings. The only part of it which even looks heritage is the second storey facade facing Bloor. The historical images upthread even indicate that this was not the original intended design for the building, but the result of a reconstruction in the 1930s.

The second storey facade is not typical of some important architectural movement present in the area. As far as I know, it was not designed by anyone noteworthy. At the time it was built, this building was nothing out of the ordinary. There are many other examples of early 20th century commercial mainstreet buildings in Toronto - particularly many other more worthy examples along Yonge Street and many other examples that haven't been wrecked by renovations in the way this one has. All of this to me points to a building that is not heritage.

I am a strong proponent of preserving true heritage structures, but you devalue them, and legal protections of them, when you designate or attempt to designate this sort of pastiche.

Mizrahi actually is known for developments that reflect the sort of limestone detailed facade that is presently part of Stollery's. I think a more fitting tribute would be an appropriately scaled podium (8 or so stories, not 2) in stone with appropriate levels of detailing which would be topped by a more modern-looking Foster tower. Kind of giving an effect similar to the Hearst tower (but with the podium being a new construction rather than an original).

250px-Hearstowernyc.JPG

Attachments

• 250px-Hearstowernyc.JPG
    250px-Hearstowernyc.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,215
Last edited:
Apple goes for the big glass windows. I doubt they would willingly go for this.

opera_gallery_image1.jpg

Not always. They're often happy to retrofit an older space. That said, the Paris store is in a far more beautiful building than Stollery's, so I agree, I doubt they'd go for it.

Attachments

• opera_gallery_image1.jpg
    opera_gallery_image1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,230

Back