Sandwich boards went up in the neighbourhood this weekend. The project is going by the title "Design Haus".

The design competition on their website (www.mydesignhaus.ca) has a new rendering that seems to keep the corner heritage building.

HyMhWfv.png

p78WYvD.png

Well the tower looks a little dull and will probably be value engineered to the point of being ugly but at least the heritage facade is saved in some form. That way there will be something nice to look at no matter what happens with the new condo itself.

The balconies on the eastern (podium?) part tend to follow more or less the lines on the building to the east which might add something nice to this otherwise PoS.

Also I love the artistic play in the render that attempts to make the lower floors of the tower appear a warmer colour with shades of heritage red from... suppose from the traffic light reflection? HA! This is comically laughable, we all know our hearts will shrink two sizes when we pass this cold banal beast.

and yikes if we can seen the mullions and spandrel mess now, just imagine when we see it in person!

They need to at least do something with that mechanical box. Like pretending to care and use multicolored spandrels.

It meets the street well though, so we could all just remind ours selves to not look up.

This is exactly what we can come to expect with the new max glazing rules. Spandrel beasts that make the city (even more) ugly. And "design haus"?? Who the F do they think they're fooling? This thing needs to be crushed by the DRP.

Shui Pong is a joke.

This is exactly what we can come to expect with the new max glazing rules. Spandrel beasts that make the city (even more) ugly.

That's on the developers (and some architects too), not the city. The max. glazing rules are environmentally responsible.

Yes, some developers are churning out even more spandrel-covered crap now, but that's on them. There are all sorts of interesting and relatively inexpensive cladding systems out there that are very suitable for our climate.

That's on the developers (and some architects too), not the city. The max. glazing rules are environmentally responsible.

Yes, some developers are churning out even more spandrel-covered crap now, but that's on them. There are all sorts of interesting and relatively inexpensive cladding systems out there that are very suitable for our climate.

Spandrel doesnt help much versus vision glass on environmental parameters as far as i know so its not really responsible to not rule them both out at 40%. In fact i think its aesthetically reckless and shameful. I'd sooner take a vision glass tower over a spandrel mishmash

But yes the pressure should be on architects to rise to the occasion, though I would never expect Kirkor or PoS to rise to follow that lead

Back